PDA

View Full Version : Needing some insight

luggz
01-09-10, 11:45 AM
Hello Marines, First off ill start with some info about my self. Im 26 Live in Beaufort S.C Was born and raised in Charleston S.C My father was in the service for some time. Also had a brother that...

Smitty Puffs
01-09-10, 12:32 PM
Listen bro, if you already got a wife and kid don't join the Marines. The military has a bad habit of ruining peoples relationships with deployments, re-assignments, etc. I would say "**** it", and move on. I'm telling you, it's not worth the hassle it's going to cause your family.

Apache
01-09-10, 01:07 PM
Listen to Smitty junior.
The Marines do not overpay or match current income.
With two dependents consider carefully all your expenses .
Worst case you don't graduate Boot then what ?

echo3oscar1833
01-09-10, 01:10 PM
Most GED's that you get at Community Colleges, or through Adult Pass Education will work for enlistment into the USMC. You say you have went all the way up through 11 Grade, then get a copy of transcripts, and enroll in a GED program. While doing this you can also take some extra college courses on the side. Remember though you will be limited on the courses you can take on a college level before you get your GED. As far as base pay I couldn't tell you what the current amount is for E-1/E-2 upon enlistment. I got out in 2003, and I'm sure its changed when it comes to pay. As far as your last statement, if you have a $900 a week job with no diploma I commend you dude. That shows dedication, and hard work right there. If you really want to join the Marine Corps, and make a positvie experience. Remember this the Marine Corps is what you make out of it, what you want out of it. If you set your standards low, and don't take advantage of all that it has to offer. Then yes it won't be the experience your looking for. If your looking for an experience that will be easy, and relaxed, the Marine Corps is not it. Its the Marines plain and simple, this is is what I tell people when it comes to joining the Corps. About 20 years from now when our generation is sitting around with our grand children they will ask about 9/11, the War On Terror, the Iraq War, Afghanistan, etc. I can at least look them in the eye, and tell them I served, and I served proudly during those times. While all the other people can only tell there Grandkids that they wish they had served. The choice is yours, Semper!!:marine:

luggz
01-09-10, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the information so far any more would be greatly appreciated

FattyTheFerret
01-09-10, 06:09 PM
This should help with pay questions:

http://militarypay.defense.gov/pay/calc/

It gives a general idea, figures can and do change based on many factors.

As for your education, enroll in a local community college. Take your core classes like english, math, various types of science so when you're ready to pursue a degree - and know this, not pursuing a degree when the government is offering to foot the bill is simply ridiculous - you'll have a good head start.

Show up to the recruiters with at least 15 college credits already under your belt. If you can get an associate's degree, even better. Depending on your state's DoE regulations, you may or may not need any kind of high school diploma to qualify for an associate's degree and once you have that you can get a bachelor's degree at any university in the country. They don't care about high school if you already have two years completed.

But being able to hand the recruiters a transcript with 15 credits should be your bare minimum goal. 30, 45 or 60 credits, even better.

Lisa 23
01-09-10, 06:16 PM
Minimum Required ASVAB Scores and Education Level

Marine Corps

ASVAB Score - Marine Corps recruits must score at least 32. A very few exceptions are made (about one percent) for some exceptionally otherwise qualified recruits with scores as low as 25.
Education - As with the Air Force, those without a high school education are ineligible. The Marine Corps limits GED enlistments to no more than five percent per year. Those with a GED must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to even be considered. As with the other services, the Marine Corps offers advanced enlistment rank (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blusmcadvancedrank.htm) for college credits. However, of all the services, the Marines are the most restrictive in this area. The maximum advanced rank for college credits is E-2, where the other services will give college credit advanced rank up to E-3 (E-4 in the Army).

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjoin/a/asvabminimum.htm

BR34
01-09-10, 06:46 PM
I'll echo what the first couple of Marines said and advise you to continue living your life for your family. I understand we all have dreams we want to chase but at this point of your and your families' lives I think you could serve them better by remaining by their side and providing for them the way you have been doing.

luggz
01-10-10, 10:21 AM
Wow I got more reply's than I thought I would have, I really appreciate your time to place your thoughts and suggestions. I spoke with a Sgt today that's in logistics I know him from his wife at my bank I go to. He lives here in Beaufort As well. He was telling me to Check in to the reserves, However he did mention that I can tell you that you will still go to Iraq or Afghanistan with then a year or two. Sgt Scott also sad that I should go down to Paris Island (witch isn't but 25 minuets down the road ) and get a visitors pass an just go watch those guy run around an that will give me a inside look at what could be.

So if any of you Marines here have any other thoughts on reserves please post,

Thank's

Smitty Puffs
01-10-10, 12:57 PM
It's alright. Depends on your job I guess. Better choice if you have a wife or kid. I still say don't join the damn military.

NCOPOWER
01-10-10, 03:27 PM
The USMCR is not a bad idea if you are set on being a Marine,. But know that once you check into a reserve unit that the active Marines will look down on you some what. Untill you prove yourself or you get deployed. This is not me trying to be an a** just the truth. I am I&I staff at a reserve unit and it happens very offten.

If it were me in your shoes I wouldn't join but thats just me. I joined when I was married but I didn't have kids and it was still very very hard to make things work with my wife and I.

luggz
01-10-10, 05:02 PM
Well the recruiter was here today and I was told that I can call a number he gave me but first get my transcripts from high school then call these people its a adult education course I can take and get my High school diploma its a local place here in Beaufort S.C. Then I can call him back up and sign up. Or I can take it farther and go in as PFC by getting an associates degree or bachelors degree that way I have 15-20 credits under my belt when I go in.

echo3oscar1833
01-10-10, 05:37 PM
Well the recruiter was here today and I was told that I can call a number he gave me but first get my transcripts from high school then call these people its a adult education course I can take and get my High school diploma its a local place here in Beaufort S.C. Then I can call him back up and sign up. Or I can take it farther and go in as PFC by getting an associates degree or bachelors degree that way I have 15-20 credits under my belt when I go in.

First of all I would say go ahead, and take your transcripts to the adult education. That way you can go ahead, and get some sort of education cert. From there I would go ahead, and enlist in the Reserves, if that is really what you want to do. As far as getting an associates degree/bacholers degree. It will take way more than 15-20 college credits, most associates are at least 60+ credits, a bacholers is usually a minimum of 120. The only thing the 15-20 will help you with is getting PFC on contract. However there are easier ways to get contract PFC, or Meritorious PFC for that matter. Hope this helps. Semper:marine:

Smitty Puffs
01-10-10, 09:31 PM
The USMCR is not a bad idea if you are set on being a Marine,. But know that once you check into a reserve unit that the active Marines will look down on you some what. Untill you prove yourself or you get deployed. This is not me trying to be an a** just the truth. I am I&I staff at a reserve unit and it happens very offten.

If it were me in your shoes I wouldn't join but thats just me. I joined when I was married but I didn't have kids and it was still very very hard to make things work with my wife and I.

Some people are good Marines and some people aren't. Doesn't matter whether you're active duty or reserves. I would put the guys in my platoon up against any of our I&I staff members, any day of the week. Just because the Marine Corps is your 9-5, and I happen to juggle more then one job plus college, doesn't mean you get to look down on me. Prove ourselves? Please. I don't have to prove myself to anyone but my Staff Sergeant's and my team leader. That's it.

luggz
01-10-10, 09:39 PM
I really admire your interest in my post and questions. Don't believe I can thank you enough!! Also I would really be happy if you have any other suggestions that I could use to help me make some...

echo3oscar1833
01-10-10, 09:48 PM
First of all thanks are not needed, I look at it like this. When I was 17 alot of people told me not to join the Corps, including Marines. Guess what one of those Marines was my dad. Once I proved I...

ameriken
01-10-10, 09:57 PM
Damn Ben, that was good, Oorah! You make me want to re-up, where do I sign? :banana::no:

luggz
01-10-10, 10:00 PM
Yes you are correct. But I still felt that I had to thank you for your time anywhere else I do believe I would have been blown off or been disrespected im sure you know how some forums can be on the internet.

As for the Reserve's is there any on these forums that could maby give me a break down in some detail about how it works and what I should know.

To all viewer's, Marine's I hope my questions are not overwhelming or getting annoying it's just that its a commitment to be a Marine. If your gonna do then do it but be aware of whats to come. I my self carry alot of Dedication, Determination, Pride and set very high goals. Once again I apologize if my post and questions are getting annoying or subsided.

echo3oscar1833
01-10-10, 10:02 PM
Yes you are correct. But I still felt that I had to thank you for your time anywhere else I do believe I would have been blown off or been disrespected im sure you know how some forums can be on the internet.

As for the Reserve's is there any on these forums that could maby give me a break down in some detail about how it works and what I should know.

To all viewer's, Marine's I hope my questions are not overwhelming or getting annoying it's just that its a commitment to be a Marine. If your gonna do then do it but be aware of whats to come. I my self carry alot of Dedication, Determination, Pride and set very high goals. Once again I apologize if my post and questions are getting annoying or subsided.

No need to apoloigize, your doing fine man. The only thing that becomes annoying is when you give up on yourself. :marine:

echo3oscar1833
01-10-10, 10:03 PM
Damn Ben, that was good, Oorah! You make me want to re-up, where do I sign? :banana::no:

Almost made me wanna re-up as well to haha:beer:

ameriken
01-10-10, 10:05 PM
Almost made me wanna re-up as well to haha:beer:

Yeah, they wont take me, I'm obsolete :beer:

echo3oscar1833
01-10-10, 10:09 PM
Yeah, they wont take me, I'm obsolete :beer:

Same here, but I'm a broken obsolete model. :beer:

Smitty Puffs
01-10-10, 11:06 PM

You get a notice in the mail a couple weeks prior to the time you need to show up. It tells you what time you need to show up, what uniform you need to wear, what you will be doing (thus determing what gear you will need), and other necessary admin info. It's different between MOS's. For me it usually works this way:

-show up for formation early friday morning
-draw weapons from the Armory
-get the Humvees for the field
-go out to the field
-train, train, train, train
-come back sunday morning or sunday afternoon
-clean your weapon. Clean yourself
-Turn your weapon in
-do classes or other admin BS
-Wait around for formation
-Formation
-Leave and go back to your civilian life until next month.

I'm a grunt, and that's basically how my weekend goes.

SIDNEYRH
10-11-11, 10:54 PM
HAVE YOU SPOKE WITH A RECRUITER THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL YOU BESIDE THAT YOU COULD TAKE REMEDIAL OR ONLINE COURSES AT BEAUFORT TO FINISH YOUR SCHOOL YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL YOU...

Sgt Leprechaun
10-12-11, 12:50 AM
You realize this is nearly a 2 year old post?

Closed.