PDA

View Full Version : The Afterlife

tactical321
01-08-10, 10:34 AM
It felt good the day I left to become a civilain back in December of 2008. I felt so free and no one was over me to tell me what to do. I drove home with my packed car and decided to live on the Afterlife. Sad to know, things did not turn out as I expected to be. Although, I knew getting a job wasnt easy but never knew that no one wanted me. It is funny to see how a Sgt of Marines turned into a nobody. Some of you may think that I sat on the couch a lived the free life. I happen to drop over 100 applications even at MCDONALDS. Not even a single call. Researched online and yet nothing came back. We all know that before we left we had to do Resume practices. All of my applications was denied except one. This was my college gym that needed fitness instructors that offered a side job. It cost me 600 bucks to get in and now I am still making money to pay that off. It's a horrible job that pays about 40 bucks a week training your butt off to hours workouts. I thought PT in the Marine Corps was the last of it but it came back. So far, not a real job. But yet, I am refusing to go back and attempt to make it out here with what I got. Anyone here with similar experiences?
<!-- / message -->

lstampa
01-08-10, 01:19 PM
I also got out December 2008. Half of me wanted to, but the other half didnt. Mainly got out because of my then girlfriend. Big mistake. Turned down the huge reenlistment bonus, and also being with my buds and other Marines. Less than a month later me and the ole lady split up. Had about 2 months of hard drinking.

Then went on vacation for a few months overseas. Went to a tech school for Radiography. Quit that since it was a waste of money. Starting school on Monday though, so things are picking up.

Haven't had a job since the Corps, but I sold back 43.5 days of leave so my last paycheck was nice. I buy and sell sports memorabilia online so that is how I currently make my money.

When school starts, I'll be getting the BAH from the GI Bill.
Good luck to you!

brian0351
01-08-10, 01:25 PM
Well man, getting out is never easy. I got out and lived with mom in Richmond VA. Took me 6 months to find a real job and that only paid me $6/hr until I realized that there are more opportunities for a former military member. So I moved to DC and found a security job that was paying $17/hr. From there I moved to another security job that was paying $25/hr (TS required though). Got my education, got into computers and came to the desert. Been here ever since.

What was your MOS? How do you feel about Govt work? Why aren't you in School? That GI bill is a Godsend! Enroll in a community college. It costs 2-3k a semester for full time and you get to pocket 1-2k a month from the GI bill. Not to mention that your knocking out credits towards a degree.

tactical321
01-08-10, 01:26 PM
I also got out December 2008. Half of me wanted to, but the other half didnt. Mainly got out because of my then girlfriend. Big mistake. Turned down the huge reenlistment bonus, and also being with my buds and other Marines. Less than a month later me and the ole lady split up. Had about 2 months of hard drinking.

Then went on vacation for a few months overseas. Went to a tech school for Radiography. Quit that since it was a waste of money. Starting school on Monday though, so things are picking up.

Haven't had a job since the Corps, but I sold back 43.5 days of leave so my last paycheck was nice. I buy and sell sports memorabilia online so that is how I currently make my money.

When school starts, I'll be getting the BAH from the GI Bill.
Good luck to you!

Where did you get out from? I was from 29 palms. I took terminal leave because when you calculated it right, you actually get paid more. I got BAH for terminal leave plus what I usually get paid. I think it was 30 days. I went to college the month after.

ameriken
01-08-10, 01:28 PM
WTF? Whats with the duplicate threads?

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=590903#post590903

polizei
01-08-10, 01:29 PM
I'm in the same boat...kind of. I'm reserve, still under contract. I just got off AD in September, and haven't been able to find a job since. I've applied to a few jobs for security, and my qualifications are WAY over. Had a few interviews and that was it...I'm dumbfounded. I should have went active.

ojibway
01-08-10, 01:29 PM
I have read some your posts about the afterlife. I have been out for 18 years and the job market is tough. It seems that employers really don't give a **** about returning veterans. Just my 2 cents.

tactical321
01-08-10, 01:31 PM
Well man, getting out is never easy. I got out and lived with mom in Richmond VA. Took me 6 months to find a real job and that only paid me $6/hr until I realized that there are more opportunities for a former military member. So I moved to DC and found a security job that was paying $17/hr. From there I moved to another security job that was paying $25/hr (TS required though). Got my education, got into computers and came to the desert. Been here ever since.

What was your MOS? How do you feel about Govt work? Why aren't you in School? That GI bill is a Godsend! Enroll in a community college. It costs 2-3k a semester for full time and you get to pocket 1-2k a month from the GI bill. Not to mention that your knocking out credits towards a degree.

Thank you, It's good to know that fellow Marines are in the same situation. I do like to work for the govt that is why I major in Criminology(its not about being a cop). 69 units left. The new GI Bill pays for the tuition in full plus BAH so University is the best bet. I cant wait to get school over with so I can get to work already. good luck with your securtiy.

tactical321
01-08-10, 01:33 PM
I have read some your posts about the afterlife. I have been out for 18 years and the job market is tough. It seems that employers really don't give a **** about returning veterans. Just my 2 cents.

I think so far, you are the only one who is thinking the same as me. I know quite a few guys from every branch and we all think the same thing.

sdk87to91
01-08-10, 02:59 PM
I EAS'd in October '91 but actually got out before that due to accumulated leave and such.
I started work at Burger King in durango CO almost right away, while waiting for the ski resort to start hiring.
By December I had a seasonal lift operator job, that I returned to for three more winters. In the summer and fall I helped guide trailrides, pack trips and elk hunters which involved learning the business from the bottom up. packing camps into the wilderness and such.
It was very intense work. Living the wilderness experience by 20th century standards.
I basically blew off regular life and responsibility and lived in the bunkhouse in summer and found a rental for the winters. After a few years of this life of ski bumming I realized I had only 6 years left to use the GI bill.

Eventually I returned to a community college to get my GPA up to go to a University.
By then I was older and ready to attend the university and really dedicate my life to my degree, which I earned after the year of community college and 4 years at Colorado State.
The Veterans preferrence for being in during Desert Storm got me my Forest Servcie job and I thank God for that.

I administer grazing permits for the Forest Service.

The important thing is that all Governemnt jobs aren't security and they dont have to be in DC; but the chances are better with a College degree. I recommend a BS in science.

Old Marine
01-08-10, 03:56 PM
It felt good the day I left to become a civilain back in December of 2008. I felt so free and no one was over me to tell me what to do. I drove home with my packed car and decided to live on the Afterlife. Sad to know, things did not turn out as I expected to be. Although, I knew getting a job wasnt easy but never knew that no one wanted me. It is funny to see how a Sgt of Marines turned into a nobody. Some of you may think that I sat on the couch a lived the free life. I happen to drop over 100 applications even at MCDONALDS. Not even a single call. Researched online and yet nothing came back. We all know that before we left we had to do Resume practices. All of my applications was denied except one. This was my college gym that needed fitness instructors that offered a side job. It cost me 600 bucks to get in and now I am still making money to pay that off. It's a horrible job that pays about 40 bucks a week training your butt off to hours workouts. I thought PT in the Marine Corps was the last of it but it came back. So far, not a real job. But yet, I am refusing to go back and attempt to make it out here with what I got. Anyone here with similar experiences?
<!-- / message -->

I have heard this story so many times. The names have changed, but the stories remain the same. It's always greener on the other side of the fence, according to most who have their EAS upcoming. After they have been out for a while the same story always surfaces. Should have stayed in and collected that retirement after a short 20 years. I have been collecting it for 37 years and enjoy the good life.

redman1
01-08-10, 05:05 PM
When I got out in 72 I had 13 W-2 forms that year and moved each time also.
I finally decided I couldn't work for anyone. I bought a road tractor and started trucking. After awhile I got tired of staying gone so I started doing Electrical work and kept my trucks and hired drivers for awhile and when I would get board I would get in a truck and do a few runs.
Being in business for myself has been good for me except the last two years and you know why.
For a young man Old Marine tell it like it is.
Hope everything works out for you
Semper Fi Redman

SlingerDun
01-08-10, 05:26 PM
I am refusing to go back and attempt to make it out here with what I got. Anyone here with similar experiences?
<!-- / message -->Yes of course, and it sure would have been nice seeking employment and submitting applications online but i believe Compuserve and The Source were the only internet providers and infantile at that. I returned to a small town in recession that had two computers, an Apple II at the sheriffs office and a IIe down at the bank. I drove to Winnemucca and Klamath Falls to make use of the state employment office microfiche and depleted three years of military savings in a couple of months. Much of it used on gas and long distance phone calls while learning how to whip and spur, again.

Guys with the most stripes had it tougher outside. I heard a few potential employers say: the only thing "career" military are good for is struttin and posturing, shouting orders. And only one calloused finger from supporting a coffee cup all day etc...

Good Luck

--->Dave

SlingerDun
01-08-10, 05:28 PM
"the after life" hehehehe

hows about reborn!?

charm1110
01-08-10, 07:49 PM
I guess I was pretty lucky I never went without a job(except by choice ) even though some of them weren't much better than your gym gig.
It was hard to find any decent jobs without a degree. I learned not many in the civilian world cares much about the military service we put in, only the dollars we can generate. Eventually I got to the point where I decided to start my own business and have been at it for over 8 yrs. most of it pretty good. Right now I own a coffee stand and have another business that is commercial cleaning services specializing in medical facilities. I love the commercial cleaning field as it is very profitable in good times and has kept me going in bad times. I hope something opens up for you soon.

Semper Fi...:flag:

redman1
01-09-10, 01:51 AM
Forgot to say also when I got our every law enforcement person I ran into tried to hire me. Sheriff, Highway Patrol and local Police Dept.
I didn't want any part of that.
I still fill I made a good decision.
Good Luck
Semper Fi Redman

MLMonk
01-09-10, 02:25 AM
I've been trying to find a job ever since I got out of training. This economy sucks. I decided to do the smart thing and go to college, and become a Marine Officer, hoping to stay in to get my 20-30 and retire, then become a commercial pilot.