PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an Officer

madeinus
01-08-10, 12:36 AM
Not sure if I'm posting in the correct place so please feel free to move/remove if needed. I'm about a year away from graduating from college and have been talking to my local OSO for a couple of weeks. I just figured I'd ask a few questions so I might be able to go in and ask intellgent questions to get the answers I need. I'm aware that aviation is a highly competitive field and have been told that as long as I pass the ASTB and eye test requirements I will have a guaranteed spot into aviation school. My question, are aviation and law the only fields that are guaranteed by contract before OCS/TBS? If for some reason I fail to qualify, are all other fields based upon the needs of the Marine's during TBS?

MLMonk
01-08-10, 03:23 AM
Yes, aviation and law are the only contracts, and if you don't qualify for that contract you will just go through TBS and pick out your top 5 MOS choices like the rest of the officers.

SGT7477
01-08-10, 08:45 AM
Not sure if I'm posting in the correct place so please feel free to move/remove if needed. I'm about a year away from graduating from college and have been talking to my local OSO for a couple of weeks. I just figured I'd ask a few questions so I might be able to go in and ask intellgent questions to get the answers I need. I'm aware that aviation is a highly competitive field and have been told that as long as I pass the ASTB and eye test requirements I will have a guaranteed spot into aviation school. My question, are aviation and law the only fields that are guaranteed by contract before OCS/TBS? If for some reason I fail to qualify, are all other fields based upon the needs of the Marine's during TBS?
No profile.:evilgrin:

madeinus
01-08-10, 01:00 PM
No profile.:evilgrin:
Sorry... fixed....

slug
01-08-10, 05:26 PM
You are never guaranteed a slot for anything, but for an aviation contract, you are guaranteed to go at least to IFS, after that it's all up to you and if you qual for the next step. If you have an aviation contract, you'll at least see API. Law is a little more for sure as it is the most specialized of the three contracts.

Now if you don't make it, it depends on how far in the pipeline you are. If you want more Naval Aviation specific gouge, head on over to AirWarriors.com.