PDA

View Full Version : Should I talk to recruiter now

lancejr14
01-07-10, 01:12 PM
Hello Marines
I hope to one day be an officer in the Marine Corps. But I have to lose 60 pound to reach the weight limit. I want know if worth going to talk to the recruiter now or should i wait until i have lost the weight. I don't want to be seen as wasting anyone's time. I have already started dieting and working out. Btw I am going to be Morehouse university next summer and fall. I just took a year off to take care of my mom who is sick.
Thanks Marines

Old Marine
01-07-10, 04:23 PM
Sure are a lot of hogs on this site lately. Could it be that one of the main reasons there are so many hogs out there is because they do not require P.E. at High School these days. Its no wonder that these kids have all that table muscle. Are there any kids that walk to school anymore? Turn off the TV, and the computer, get off your azz and get a little exercise. It may save your life.

Phantom Blooper
01-07-10, 04:27 PM
Never hurts to go see don't call a recruiter.....you won't be able to DEP until you get into the weight standards or real close to them.

However go see the recruiter...tell them your interests and see if they will let you PT wit the poolees and set you up with a healthy PT regime.

Keep at it to lose the weight... if your goal is join the Marines.

:evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
01-07-10, 04:29 PM
:beer: Old Marine!

tell us how you feel...but there is truth to it!:evilgrin:

lancejr14
01-07-10, 08:56 PM
Oh well good thing I'm not sensitive. Thanks Marines for the advice I think I will go to talk to a recruiter. Tomorrow.
P.s Thanks OldMarine Now I feel motivated.

Old Marine
01-08-10, 11:10 AM
Oh well good thing I'm not sensitive. Thanks Marines for the advice I think I will go to talk to a recruiter. Tomorrow.
P.s Thanks OldMarine Now I feel motivated.

Glad to hear that.

MLMonk
01-08-10, 12:15 PM
Your plans are to be an officer, right? Well, since you are planning on going to college, I would invest in the NROTC program, and go for Marine option. Talking to an enlisted recruiter is not going to hurt you, but I would just utilize them for the weight loss and PFT gains. 60lb's overwieght, I am unsure that an Officer Selection Officer (OSO) will talk to you, but give it a shot, if he says no, lose the wieght and get back to him, he will then see it that you are motivated and serious enough to become a Marine officer, and will more then likely help put your package through. 4 years is more then enough time to do what your goals are, but first, lose the weight, and second, strive for that 300 PFT, you will need it (or atleast get close to it, like 270+).

lancejr14
01-09-10, 08:33 AM
thanks Marines for the answers. Your insight has been helpful

Phantom Blooper
01-09-10, 08:43 AM
lancejr14,

We gave insight....

What have you done since the original post?:evilgrin:

lancejr14
01-09-10, 08:52 AM
boxing practice
3 rounds jump rope
5 shadow bocxing
5 heavy bag
5 sparing
20 mins on treadmil can't run a mile yet but im geting there
weights
bench press 3 set 10
shoudler press
triceps curls
chest flys

and Im sore as hell

Lisa 23
01-09-10, 09:25 AM
Hello Marines
I hope to one day be an officer in the Marine Corps. But I have to lose 60 pound to reach the weight limit. I want know if worth going to talk to the recruiter now or should i wait until i have lost the weight. I don't want to be seen as wasting anyone's time. I have already started dieting and working out. Btw I am going to be Morehouse university next summer and fall. I just took a year off to take care of my mom who is sick.
Thanks Marines

I think what Phantom Blooper meant by what have you done since your original post is......
Did you lose the 60 lbs to reach your weight limit yet?
Did you go to Morehouse Univeristy yet?
Did you talk to a recruiter yet?
Oh, and how's your mom doing?

Not what is your exercise routine like.

echo3oscar1833
01-09-10, 10:20 AM
I think what Phantom Blooper meant by what have you done since your original post is......
Did you lose the 60 lbs to reach your weight limit yet?
Did you go to Morehouse Univeristy yet?
Did you talk to a recruiter yet?
Oh, and how's your mom doing?

Not what is your exercise routine like.

This thread is only two days old WMarine

Lisa 23
01-09-10, 10:22 AM
This thread is only two days old WMarine
Oooooops, my bad. Had a brain fart....LOL! For some odd reason, I thought this thread was older. Don't know what I was looking at.
My apologies to the original poster.

Phantom Blooper
01-09-10, 10:52 AM
I want to know did you go see a recruiter?... <br />
<br />
Even though you are not in the weight standards....you can still go to the recruiters office and talk with him/her and respectfully ask to PT with the...

lancejr14
01-09-10, 11:24 AM
I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. I have not gone to see a recruiter, because I have several family members in town I was waiting until they left. But I have spoken to one over the phone I intended to go to early next week. I realize that become an Officer in Marine Corps will be more difficult than everything else I ever done in life. But, I am going to be a Marine Officer One day,God willing. I will be going to Morehouse this summer to catch up with what I missed this year. I didn't mean to make excuses. I realize that my weight problem is my doing and Its my responsibly to fix it. And taking care of my Mother is not excuse I have had time to to work out this last semester I just didn't. Which is some I will change. I wish I could make a grand statement about I will lose weight and become a Marine Officer. But talk is cheap.
Thank Marines for the advice and ass kicking I needed both
P.s WMarine my mom has lupus so everyday is a struggle. There little I can except offer emotional support. But she seems to be turning a corner. I thank you for your concern
Lance C.

Lisa 23
01-09-10, 11:27 AM
Keep your chin up there young man, and best of luck to you! :thumbup:
Also, you can search the poolee forum for some weight loss and exercise tips.

lancejr14
01-09-10, 11:33 AM
Thank You I will

lancejr14
01-12-10, 04:25 PM
Hello marines
I spoke to a Recruiter today, and He pretty much blew me off and told me he couldn't really do any for me. His whole demeanor said i was wasting his time.
I was wondering if I should go back and ask if I Pt with the pooliees. Or should I just it do on my own. Either way I will do it. I will be a Marine Officer.

Phantom Blooper
01-12-10, 04:42 PM
If you have been reading the forums you will have read advice from Marines that failure is not an option.

Marines may make a hasty retreat...only to resupply and continue to move aggressively forward to accomplish the mission at hand.

Keep going back to the recruiters office and ask to PT with them to show your interest.....you are out of shape....the Marines will take you if you lose the weight.....however at this stage of the game and the world situation they are wanting bodies that are qualified to join with no hold backs.

Keep going to see them and when you are not with them continue it on your own....

The top Marine Corps leadership principle is...

Know yourself and seek self-improvement.

The definition is not hard to decipher....:evilgrin: