PDA

View Full Version : DEP for longer than 365 days?

AlexJH
01-06-10, 09:50 PM
Now I did some searching around on google and found that one can only be in the DEP for one year. However the recruiter I've been talking with said that once I'm 17 I should enter the DEP with parental consent and I'd ship to boot camp when I graduate. However I turn 17 next month, and a year from then I'd still be in high school. Is there some special program that allows me to stay in the DEP longer or something like that?

Normally I'd post this in the Poolee forum, but for some reason I do not have access to post there, i can only view threads. Maybe it's only for people who pay for the website.

Lisa 23
01-06-10, 09:58 PM
I can't help you with the max amount of time in the DEP, but just a suggestion, instead of going into the DEP when you turn 17 next month, why don't you wait until you're finished with school this year, and then go into the DEP.
Also, Marine Friends can't post in the Poolee forum. That forum is for Poolees only.

AlexJH
01-06-10, 10:13 PM
I'm a bit anxious to get started, and the recruiter I talked with said this was usually they way he went about doing things. The reasoning behind this is that he wants to sit down and talk with the parents while they still have a say in the matter, this way everyone is involved with the decision and parents can ask questions and be critical to keep him honest. He really doesn't like it when a kid turns 18, goes and enlists with him and then he gets kicked out of his house and the kid is still in high school and then the parent(s) will constantly harass the recruiting office.

You may be right though, I kind of do want to spend my last summer at home with my friends before everyone leaves for college.

Lisa 23
01-06-10, 10:17 PM
I'm sure another Marine will come along and help you out better with your questions, but maybe this will help some...... <br />
<br />
The Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP) <br />
<br />
one cannot be in the DEP for...

AlexJH
01-06-10, 10:23 PM
Yeah that's the article I read, which is why I brought this up in the first place.

Hotel4341
01-07-10, 08:39 AM
If you last the 365 days, you're allowed to DEP in again. You just have to go back to MEPS.

Basically, going off of what WMarine said, there's not much of a point of DEPing in if you know you won't be able to go in that initial time period. If you have a good reason to get in early, though, there's not some rule that after 365 days you won't be able to ship ever.