PDA

View Full Version : 18, enlisted, and newly engaged

TaraW
01-06-10, 09:37 PM
So I'm 18 and have been in the process of enlisting in the Marine Corps for the last couple months ((I'm 8lbs overweight and can't seem to get it off no matter what I try!!!)) and my boyfriend, who is already a Marine, proposed to me over the holidays and of course I accepted. I love him more than anything and told him I would give up anything to be with him, including my enlistment.
the problem is that I want it all. I want to be married to the love of my life and be able to see him as much as possible, and I want to be one of the fewer and the prouder.
Basically I want to know if we would ever be able to see each other if we were both Marines.
Also, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice about when a good time for us to be married would be....before his deployment, after?

I just feel like I'm being forced to choose between my two loves, my fiance and the Marine Corps and am hoping someone has been through a similiar situation and can give me some insight!

Lisa 23
01-06-10, 09:40 PM
Just to let you know, you should fill out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer you questions know who they are talking to....and the Women Marines forum is for Marines only.

firedog974
01-06-10, 09:48 PM
First off, you need to live for you, not your man. Second, if your guy loves you, he will respect your decision to be a Marine. My wife and I met when I was 21 years old. I joined the Corps at 22, and after I went through boot camp, she decided she wanted to drop out of college, and become a Marine. I did not fight her on it. I knew if it was something SHE wanted, it was something I should support. We went through 6+ years in the Corps together, including the birth of both of our children. We have been married almost 12 years now. We would not have lasted a year if I ever held her back from achieving goals she set for herself. We spend the first 9 months of our marriage apart (for her mos school) but after that, the Corps kept us together. Communicate with your guy, and figure out what is important to you, and to him.