PDA

View Full Version : How the heck do you sign up for the Savings Deposit Program???

christ0ph0311
01-06-10, 07:04 PM
No one in my effing company or bn has heard of it. the company first sergeant doesn't know, S1 doesn't know. the DFAS hotline just says "contact your finanancial dept, etc."

Old Marine
01-06-10, 07:08 PM
Check with Disbursing since they handle your pay.

Phantom Blooper
01-06-10, 07:09 PM
Go to disbursing..:evilgrin:

Beat me to it Gunny.

Komenko
01-06-10, 07:21 PM
its called Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), my knucklehead self should have started my account when i was in Okinawa in 98' and not when i got in civil service in 2009. and like Old Marine and Phantom said get a Par Chit for Disbursing to sign up! for those out there who don't know what it is, its like a civilian 401k.

christ0ph0311
01-06-10, 09:13 PM
no this is not the TSP. it is something different. you can put up to $10,000 in an account in a combat zone and get 10 percent interest back

Komenko
01-06-10, 09:23 PM
no this is not the TSP. it is something different. you can put up to $10,000 in an account in a combat zone and get 10 percent interest back

ohhhhhhhhh i remember that when i was in Iraq. thought about doing it but was told about it in the middle of the deployment. still should go see disbursing!

Vandrel
01-06-10, 10:20 PM
Look on.....

MyPay

Honestly though, you'll get more bang for your buck doing CD's through Navy Fed or some other place.

TSP is great if you plan to stay in the military to retire, other then that it's a pain in the ass to get your money moved to a 401K if you get out.

christ0ph0311
01-07-10, 05:13 PM
Look on.....

MyPay

Honestly though, you'll get more bang for your buck doing CD's through Navy Fed or some other place.

TSP is great if you plan to stay in the military to retire, other then that it's a pain in the ass to get your money moved to a 401K if you get out.

nooooooo. it is not anything like TSP. it is better than any CD nfcu can give you because this will give you %10 back, not some %4 or so that NFCU can do :/

mypay has options to look at your SAvings Deposit Statement, nothing to sign up for it, yet. hoping it will show up when i am incountry

SGT7477
01-07-10, 06:13 PM
No one in my effing company or bn has heard of it. the company first sergeant doesn't know, S1 doesn't know. the DFAS hotline just says "contact your finanancial dept, etc."
Send it to us Marine it will be in good hands.:D

Juicemang
01-07-10, 06:18 PM
Isn't there a kick ass SDP type program you can enroll into while deployed?

I seem to remember some officer pushing me towards it, but I never did it. Just left the deployment money in a USAA savings account.

If you're on a base without a Disbo office, hit up your local PAC.

BR34
01-07-10, 06:56 PM
Disbursing isn't going to be able to sign you up for any programs. You need to talk to Admin.

Deployagain
11-08-10, 04:38 PM
Disbursing isn't going to be able to sign you up for any programs. You need to talk to Admin.

Correct. My battalion S-1 was able to sign up my Marine while deployed. It was quite easy, actually. If your 1stSgt doesn't know about it, it shouldn't be too hard for him to pick up the phone and call S-1.

Deployagain
11-08-10, 04:51 PM

I know this is a thread about SDP, but since you brought up TSP...

It's actually very easy to get you money moved out of TSP after you separate from the Marine Corps. It's only one form that you have to fill out with the financial institution you're transferring the money to. Then they do all the work. It takes about 20 minutes of your time to transfer money from one retirement account to another. I've done it, more than once. My point is TSP is great regardless of your plan to separate after 4 years or retire after 30.

Or you can leave your money in TSP and withdraw it when you turn 59 1/2 years old.

Kegler300
11-08-10, 04:56 PM
Savings Bonds?

Baker1971
11-08-10, 04:58 PM
No wonder I was confused, post 12 is a reponse to someone who posted in January 7, 2010!

ggyoung
11-08-10, 06:29 PM
Savings Bonds?

Is there such a thing anymore?