PDA

View Full Version : Foreign, but motivated.

Iain
01-06-10, 12:28 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Iain Stewart and I am Scottish.

I understand that some of you may find it, odd that a foreigner such as my self would ever want to be a United States Marine, and be one of the Few and the Proud.

Well, that is my case. Now, I appreciate that the United States Marine Corps is not a 'foreign legion' - nor should it be. However, I cannot begin to express how every bone in my body aches to become a U.S. Marine. Some say ‘why not join the Royal Marines?’, and call me unpatriotic. The RMC are in no way like the U.S Marine Corps, just because they have ‘Marine Corps’ at the end of their name. And the fact that I want to serve with American forces rather than British, in no way is anything to do with a lack of loyalty, I love everything America and the U.S Marine Corps stands for and have done for years, since visiting Washington as a child.

My question to any Marine out there is: Should I just give up? I’ve held the attitude ‘Marines wouldn’t give up if the going got tough’ for a while now, and it saddens me the only thing stopping me is a green card, when I know I’d make a good Marine, heck, I’d do it for free.

I’ve written a letter, and was going to send it to General Conway (Of course, a very busy man, but who better to express my passion and ask for any leniency with joining?). Should I bother sending it? I don’t mean to sound pathetic, like I’m ‘begging’ or anything, but if I could be given a chance I’d prove my worth.

Do you guys know of any jobs in high demand that maybe they would make an exception? (Perhaps dangerous jobs that are under staffed? I’m willing to go in to any danger).

Anyway, I thank you Marines who may have taken the time to read this, and hope that you understand where I’m coming from.

Regards, and with great respect,

Iain Stewart.

samthomas
01-06-10, 01:12 PM
Should I just give up?

I’d make a good Marine, heck, I’d do it for free.

I’ve written a letter, and was going to send it to General Conway ...Should I bother sending it? I don’t mean to sound pathetic, like I’m ‘begging’ or anything, but if I could be given a chance I’d prove my worth.

Regards, and with great respect,

Iain Stewart.

What are you smoking? I know that you address the issue of why you are interested in joining, but you need to rethink it. I really don't understand this infatuation that people have with serving in the military of another nation.

Your letter would never make it to General Conway, and even if it did, he isn't going to be handing out green cards anytime soon. If you think it is worth trying, apply for your green card, and get in line.

polizei
01-06-10, 01:20 PM
Only thing that I can say is...good luck getting in, get a green card, give up your citizenship, and the letter would never make it.

Your best bet is to get a green card, come to the US, and try to get in, like everyone else. I appreciate the motivation, but I also think you need to be a bit more realistic. It's hard for people FROM here to get in, let alone another nation.

Iain
01-06-10, 01:31 PM
What are you smoking? I know that you address the issue of why you are interested in joining, but you need to rethink it. I really don't understand this infatuation that people have with serving in the military of another nation.

Your letter would never make it to General Conway, and even if it did, he isn't going to be handing out green cards anytime soon. If you think it is worth trying, apply for your green card, and get in line.

I'm not smoking anything I assure you. It's not the fact that it's 'another nation' - obviously because I'm not American it will be difficult for others, especially real Americans to understand why I would want to. It's not because of the novelty of serving for another nation, it's the fact that, there is NO other thing like the U.S. Marine Corps on the face of the earth, and I can't help but feel cheated out of a chance to even PROVE myself.

Only thing that I can say is...good luck getting in, get a green card, give up your citizenship, and the letter would never make it.

Your best bet is to get a green card, come to the US, and try to get in, like everyone else. I appreciate the motivation, but I also think you need to be a bit more realistic. It's hard for people FROM here to get in, let alone another nation.

I understand, but, unlike everyone else who can get a green card via the Diversity Lottery, Scotland is exempt because it's part of the UK (Even though we are so very different than the rest of the UK).

I mean, as I said, I'd do it for free if I could, I don't want to be 'asking' anything of the U.S. - just the opportunity to serve the Corp. I thought there might be some kind of exception if the Corps was short on recruits? And also, since we are in a time of war, maybe there is a chance they would accept my case?

I appreciate the idea of me appearing not to understand 'why can't I just be let in?' may seem a bit arrogant to Americans, but my intentions are innocent, and I don't think me getting a green card would make me a better Marine, the green card situation is what stops me. I'd do the job green card or not if I could!

Is there anyone I could write to?

samthomas
01-06-10, 01:48 PM
There is no shortage of applicants at this time, and probably won't be for quite a time. Just read a few of the threads, and see how many Marines are trying to get back in.

The best advice is this: think about what you want. If you really have your heart set on becoming a Marine, apply for immigration and wait. If you get the gold green card, then you can think about trying to enlist.

Here is information (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ae853ad15c673210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCR D&vgnextchannel=ae853ad15c673210VgnVCM100000082ca60a RCRD) about applying for a green card.

If that doesn't help, the only other option would be to write a nice letter to this chap, asking for his help:

The Right Honorable Santa Claus
123 Main Street
North Pole, NY 12946
USA

samthomas
01-06-10, 01:49 PM
How old are you, Iain? If you haven't already, think about college, maybe an opportunity will present itself down the road.

polizei
01-06-10, 02:10 PM
In another thread someone asked about exchange opportunities from the RMC. You might want to look into that? Maybe serve a few years as a RM, and then see if you can find an exchange program and come here as a US Marine.

Iain
01-06-10, 02:12 PM
How old are you, Iain? If you haven't already, think about college, maybe an opportunity will present itself down the road.

I'm 17, and yeah, I agree with you there, I'm actually looking at a university in Colorado at the moment which is willing to look at an application from me. (I would get a student visa - which prohibits employment sadly).

I think that would give me the best chance possible (because at least I'd be IN the U.S. for a while).

I've looked at all the green card applications and I don't have any family or a huge multi-national company willing to sponsor me for a green card sadly, hah.

I know it's what I want to do, more than anything, more than winning the lottery, just the chance at becoming a U.S Marine would be the best thing that could ever happen to me. I just fear that, by the time I'd ever be in a position to even get a green card, I'd be in my 40s or something, you know?
The funny thing about the green card necessity is, that on the UCIS website, it says you can GET a green card if you 'are in/served in the United States Armed Forces' - Even though you can't get IN the United States Armed forces without one! (Catch-22, ey?)

I think in the long run, I'll never stop trying...and who knows? I appreciate anyone's input though, especially being Marines yourselves, there is no one better to ask.