PDA

View Full Version : Future linguist needs some insight...

AFIBA23
01-05-10, 12:20 AM
Well... I'm currently in the DEP and considering LINGUIST to be my MOS but im unsure what kind. I was just curious about the different types (cryptologic, field 26XX/27XX.) Language is truly a passion of mine, I can already speak Spanish and English. I have taken the ASVAB and scored a 123 on the DLAB. People have told me I will most likely learn someting like Arabic, Korean, or something else difficult because of my score. I was curious if I will be able to pick my own language like Serbian, or will one be assigned to me? ....also, can anyone tell me what the schooling is like in Monterey? Any other informatino would be much appreciated!!

p.s.
first time posting so i hope im not doing anything wrong!!

CplGiraffe
01-05-10, 07:12 AM
You can find a lot of answers if you use the search function. Your language is not your own choice it is chosen based on the needs of the Marine Corps. There are a lot of languages that are possible ranging from Arabic, Korean, Chinese, Tagalog, Pashto, Dari, Farsi, and even Spanish, among some others. And if you are going to Monterey the only two MOS I have seen in people coming from intel or people coming to be 2600. Of course excluding NCO's there, I don't know anything about what they are classified as and such. There might be more I don't know about but most likely you are under the 2600 contract.

haebyungdae
01-24-10, 07:53 AM
If you are lucky then you might be given a wish list, where you can list your top three choices. But this is the top three among the major languages of: Korean, Arabic, Russian, and Spanish. And even with that list, they will probably still choose for you. Also, if you are going linguist then your MOS will be 267X, the X will change depending on what language you get. The whole 27XX thing doesn't really matter. It was the older system, where each language was essentially its own MOS, but now its only used as a sub category within your MOS to define what language you are.

TinDragon
01-26-10, 07:02 AM
They pretty much summed it up.
As far as schools go... the linguist school is probably the best one. Only one I've heard of that treats you like a Marine almost all the time, as opposed to varying degrees of treating you like a recruit at some points in time. (hooray micromanagement?)