PDA

View Full Version : Question

RFJablonski87
01-04-10, 11:12 PM
When i was 18 years old I took the ASVAB and was in the process of enlisting in the Marine Corps. I was working construction at the time, fell at work and fractured my knee cap. Obviously haulting the process of enlistment. It has been three years since the accident, I do have wiring in my knee but i dont feel pain and my knee has full range of motion, nor has my injury put any limitation on my physical abilities(running, jumping, squating, kneeling, lifting) I was hoping some of you Marines could tell me if I still qualify for enlistment or not??

Lisa 23
01-04-10, 11:55 PM
Your best bet is to talk to a recruiter and a doctor at MEP's. They'll be able to tell you if you'll get an approved waiver or not for the wire in your knee.
Hope this helps some.......

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission
Lower extremities

Jun 10 2009
The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.
The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/medicalwaiver.htm)) are an authenticated history of:
Limitation of motion.

Current joint ranges of motion less than the measurements listed in paragraphs below are disqualifying.
Hip (due to disease (726.5), or injury (905.2)):

(a) Flexion to 90 degrees.
(b) No demonstrable flexion contracture.
(c) Extension to 10 degrees (beyond 0 degrees).
(d) Abduction to 45 degrees.
(e) Rotation of 60 degrees (internal and external combined).
Knee (due to disease (726.6), or injury (905.4)):

(a) Full extension to 0 degrees.
(b) Flexion to 110 degrees.
Ankle (due to disease (726.7), or injury (905.4) or congenital defect):
(a) Dorsiflexion to 10 degrees.
(b) Planter flexion to 30 degrees.
Subtalar eversion and inversion totaling 5 degrees (due to disease (726.7) or injury (905.4) or congenital defect).
Foot and ankle.

Current absence of a foot or any portion thereof (896) is disqualifying.
Current or history of deformities of the toes (acquired (735) or congenital (755.66)) including, but not limited to conditions such as hallux valgus (735.0), hallux varus (735.1), hallux rigidicus (735.2), hammer toe(s) (735.4), claw toe(s) (735.5), overriding toe(s) (735.8), that prevents the proper wearing of military footwear or impairs walking, marching, running, or jumping, are disqualifying.
Current or history of clubfoot (754.70) or pes cavus (754.71) that prevents the proper wearing of military footwear or impairs walking, marching, running, or jumping is disqualifying.
Current symptomatic pes planus (acquired (734) or congenital (754.6)) or history of pes planus corrected by prescription or custom orthotics is disqualifying.
Current ingrown toenails (703.0), if infected or symptomatic, are disqualifying.
Current plantar fasciitis (728.71) is disqualifying.
Current neuroma (355.6) that is refractory to medical treatment, or impairs walking, marching, running, or jumping, or prevents the proper wearing of military footwear, is disqualifying.
Leg, knee, thigh, and hip.

Current loose or foreign body within the knee joint (717.6) is disqualifying.
History of uncorrected anterior (717.83) or posterior (717.84) cruciate ligament injury is disqualifying.
History of surgical correction of knee ligaments is disqualifying only if symptomatic or unstable (P81.4). (3) Current symptomatic medial and lateral collateral ligament injury is disqualifying.
Current symptomatic medial and lateral meniscal injury is disqualifying.
Current unspecified internal derangement of the knee (717.9) is disqualifying.
Current or history of congenital dislocation of the hip (754.3), osteochondritis of the hip (Legg-Perthes disease) (732.1), or slipped femoral epiphysis of the hip (732.2) is disqualifying.
Current or history of hip dislocation (835) within 2 years preceding examination is disqualifying.
Current osteochondritis of the tibialtuberosity (Osgood-Schlatter disease) (732.4) , is disqualifying if symptomatic.
General.

Current deformities, disease, or chronic joint pain of pelvic region, thigh (719.45), lower leg (719.46), ankle and/ or foot (719.47) that have interfered with function to such a degree as to prevent the individual from following a physically active vocation in civilian life, or that would interfere with walking, running, weight bearing, or the satisfactory completion of training or military duty, are disqualifying.
Current leg-length discrepancy resulting in a limp (736.81) is disqualifying.
See also section on Miscellaneous Conditions of the Extremities (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/intmedstandards/blextremities3.htm).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/extremities2.htm

RFJablonski87
01-05-10, 12:58 AM
Thank you for the info the DOD medical requirements really shed some light, I guess we'll see