PDA

View Full Version : OCC Question - is 31 too old?

tjk168
01-04-10, 08:25 PM
Just having returned from a visit to the USMC museum and Quantico with my father - a USMC Vietnam Vet - I think I've decided I'd like to give up civilian life. I almost began the process in college but stopped for whatever reason and the years have flown by.

I just turned 30 and have both an undergrad degree and MBA in finance. I work on Wall Street at the moment and I'm ready for the change. Based on the research and talks i've had I'd like to enroll in an OCC next year. I've heard varying folks tell me the max age is anywhere from 28-31 but there are waivers possible as well - I would likely be 31 at the time of commissioning. I was interested in doing the OCC-R program so I would immediately head to reserves after OCC/TBS/MOS training.

Can anyone give me advice? Am I too old to start this process? Will I be looked down upon for being a 31 year old guy training with what I assume will be mostlu 22 year olds? Does anyone actually do the OCC-R program? I have spoke with a few recruiters over the past few years and I get varied answers.

Any advice or comments would be helpful -no need to sugar coat things!

Cheers,

Tim

sparkie
01-04-10, 08:29 PM
You're old. But stranger things have happened. That's a BIG waver. How strong is your resolve???.

tjk168
01-04-10, 08:34 PM
Im an Ironman athlete and I grew up near Camp Lejeune so the USMC has always been a dream. Not sure why I havent done it but Id welcome the pain! Is 31 just too old?

MLMonk
01-04-10, 09:36 PM
Not like this forum is not a good source of information, but I would try asking on MarineOCS.com, that forum is dedicated to people wanting to become a Marine Officer and getting into OCC/OCS. I know the max age for the pilot is 28 years, so I would assume that for a regular officer, it would just be 2 more years. Go contact an OSO, and try from there. You are not too old for the enlisted route though, but will still require a 1st class PFT and an age waiver. For being looked down upon, actually it is quite the opposite, most younger people look up to those who are older then them for advise and anything else.

tjk168
01-04-10, 09:54 PM
Great - thanks for the advice. Any idea on how hard it would be to get a waiver assuming Im physically fit and motivated?

TunTvrnWarrior
01-04-10, 10:19 PM
tjk168, I think MLMonk nailed it. As enlisted guys, this is out of most of our range of knowlege. Check out MarineOCS.com as he said. I would also actively pursue a MARINE officer and get his advice. I wish you the best of favor as you pursue this endeavor.
When you do become an officer, please make sure when you get to your first duty station to get a Gunny or a Staff Sergeant to show you the ropes (keep him on your good side, he could save your butt in garrison, the field, and most importantly the battlefield).
Your Staff NCO's and NCO's (and some salty Lance Corporals) have a wealth of knowlege, so dont forget to keep an open ear, and an open mind no matter what rank you attain.

brian0351
01-04-10, 11:02 PM
I've spent alot of time on MarineOCS.com and from what I can see...

IF you can run a solid 300 PFT (18min 3mile, 100 Crunches and 20 Pull-ups) your chances for a waiver are greater.

The longer you wait...that harder it will be.

tjk168
01-05-10, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I would be about 280 on the pft at the moment but I can work on the 20 pull ups.

If I do go forward with this, and come out as a 2ndLt and go straight to the Reserves without spending a day on AD, will the enlisted Vet's in my reserve unit frown upon that? I assume they would but this might be reality.

TunTvrnWarrior
01-05-10, 07:12 AM
tjk168, I am not sure (MARINES correct me if I am wrong on this), but my hunch is if you go in as an officer... You are committed to active duty for 5 or 6 years first and then you can go into the reserves.

GSEMarine94
01-05-10, 10:51 AM
tjk168, I am not sure (MARINES correct me if I am wrong on this), but my hunch is if you go in as an officer... You are committed to active duty for 5 or 6 years first and then you can go into the reserves.
This is incorrect, the OCC-R program does allow newly commissioned officers to go directly to a reserve unit.

polizei
01-05-10, 11:25 AM
I'm reserve, and wouldn't have an issue with a newly commissioned officer as my leader. However, you would have to show me that you can lead Marines, so until that...you might want to "test the waters" and take things very slow. There's nothing worse than a gung-ho motard officer who doesn't know crap compared to LCpl's or PFC's in the same MOS that which have more experience...

MLMonk
01-05-10, 06:48 PM

It's actually 3 years commitment unless you have a flight contract, then that's 5-6years. After 3 years active, you request to stay in, and your EAS goes to "indefinitely" until you are satisfied or get courtmartialed and request to decline your commission.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-06-10, 01:53 AM
Your chances of an age waiver, based on what I know at the present, are EXTREMELY slim. Unless you have some sort of VERY special skill the Marine Corps needs, your chances are not very good at all.

I'm NOT stating that it's impossible, but the odds against it are very long indeed. Before you do anything else, I suggest you talk to an OSO ASAP. The board that's already been mentioned would be the place to start.

Capt Kays
01-06-10, 08:08 AM
Tim:

You can get a waiver as long as you will start active duty (all training complete) before you turn 35. As far as being just too old - it is all about your attitude. A friend of mine left his job as the foreign correspondent for the Wall Street Journal in China to become an intelligence officer. He too needed an age waiver and he went from zero to 20 pull-ups by the time he finished The Basic School. See his editorial in the WSJ below for his path and reasons why he chose to become a Marine. He is now a First Lieutenant serving in Afghanistan as an advisor to the Female Engagement Teams (and doing other stuff as well, I am sure). Don't listen to some of the negative posts on here - you will learn more than enough at The Basic School and your MOS school to set you up for success, even if you go straight into the Reserves. If you have a humble attitude and you let your SNCOs guide you, you will not have a problem leading Marines at any age. The key is to show the Marines that you care about them and the Corps and to work to improve your skills as a Marine every day. I suggest you contact the Officer Selection Officer as soon as you can to discuss the Reserves/waivers/etc. The Officer in your area will contact you if you fill out a request more information form at marineofficer.com (which is a pretty informative website that you should visit anyway).

Best of luck with everything,

Capt A. Kays

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110007681 (http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110007681)

tjk168
01-06-10, 08:39 AM
Thanks again to everyone who replied.

In particular, thanks to Capt A. Kays. You words were inspiring.

I have decided to pursure making it to OCC and leaving the corporate world for some time. I have made tons of money in my 20's working for big banks but that is not where my passion lies. I want to hold myself to a higher standard. I almost went straight to OCC out of college and I've regretted it ever since. While my chances may be marginal now that Ive just turned 30 I'm going to give it my best shot over the next year.

Worst case is I don't make it but I will at least silence the regrets I've had over the past 10 or so years.

Best Regards,

Tim

Sgt Leprechaun
01-13-10, 06:32 PM
Captain, thank you very much for that 'no bs' update. I was unaware that waivers were being granted for those over the age limit. Is this still current policy?

tjk168
01-13-10, 08:06 PM
I'm working through the process with my OSO and at this point it's all on me to get the best PFT score I can. The better the score - the better the chance. 300 isnt necessary but pretty close. In regards to going straight into the reserves, he confirmed that after OCC, TBS & MOS school I'd go straight to reserves. My commitment there would be 4 years active, 4 inactive. My OSO says its fairly certain I'll be in Afghanistan for at least one tour.

Thanks again to everyone on this board. I'm off to do some pull-ups!