PDA

View Full Version : Confused future Marine

jav92
01-04-10, 03:45 AM
I signed up in June of 2009 and I leave for recruit training June of this year, and my recuiter said he could get me infantry because that's what I wanted for my mos. I signed an open contract, and ended up getting aircraft logistics. I talked to another recruiter I met, and he said infantry is full until October 2010. My question is, is it possible to make a lateral move from logistics to infantry? If so, I stick with that mos, is it possible to reserve an infantry spot for the future? What should I do?

Zulu 36
01-04-10, 06:50 AM
I signed up in June of 2009 and I leave for recruit training June of this year, and my recuiter said he could get me infantry because that's what I wanted for my mos. I signed an open contract, and ended up getting aircraft logistics. I talked to another recruiter I met, and he said infantry is full until October 2010. My question is, is it possible to make a lateral move from logistics to infantry? If so, I stick with that mos, is it possible to reserve an infantry spot for the future? What should I do?

Infantry is a very popular MOS. New slots open at the start of each fiscal year (October). Essentially if you aren't already in line then, it is a very good chance you may be out of luck.

Lat moves from one MOS to another are almost never allowed until your first re-enlistment. If you did lat move from one MOS to infantry, you will be back at ITB at whatever rank you are and will not be greeted with open arms at your first infantry unit.

Why? You may be a Corporal or even a Sergeant who knows little more of the infantry trade than a brand new PFC from ITB. You may not enjoy it yourself being a rifleman or SAW gunner under an experienced LCpl or Corporal until you learn the ropes. Rank means nothing, experience means all. A deployment or two as a box kicker is not the same as a deployment or two as a grunt.

You have a couple of choices. Pester your recruiter to put you on a standby list for a grunt slot that may open between now and June, or delay your entry date until after October 1st when you can be guaranteed an infantry slot.

BTW, I really don't like your profile picture. Pick something more benign until you really understand what killing people is about. TV, movies, and video games teach nothing about the reality. Peter Cottontail or Bambi would be better.

tangovictor87
01-04-10, 10:45 AM
BTW, I really don't like your profile picture. Pick something more benign until you really understand what killing people is about. TV, movies, and video games teach nothing about the reality. Peter Cottontail or Bambi would be better.

I agree with the sergeant, you don't rate the eagle, globe and anchor or any of that moto 'kill em all' BS.

sscjoe
01-04-10, 11:14 AM
Chris you made look!!!

jav92
01-04-10, 04:46 PM
I appreciate the help Zulu 36. Well, if I can't get a spot in a "standby" list, I'll talk to my recruiter about terminating my contract and reenlisting in October for an Infantry spot. Thanks again