PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight Questions

Nicky the Great
01-03-10, 09:44 PM
Evening Marines,

I have a few eyesight questions, I plan on enlisting 0311.

First off, I'm near-sighted, my prescription is -3.75. Is there a certain point where they tell people they're too blind? haha.

And secondly, I know I have to wear BC glasses in boot, but are contact lenses allowed on deployments?

Thanks for your help!

Lisa 23
01-03-10, 09:47 PM
Just a suggestion, it would be great if you could use the search bar first, as contact lenses has been talked about before, and I believe eyesight questions have been talked about also.

Phantom Blooper
01-03-10, 10:03 PM
Vision

Vision must be correctable (with glasses) to a minimum of one of the following:

(1) 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other eye.

(2) 20/30 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye.

(3) 20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye.

Current near visual acuity (367) of any degree that does not correct (with glasses) to 20/40 in the better eye is disqualifying.

Current refractive error (hyperopia (367.0), myopia (367.1), astigmatism (367.2)), or history of refractive error prior to any refractive surgery manifest by any refractive error in spherical equivalent of worse than -8.00 or +8.00 diopters is disqualifying.

Contact lenses.

Current complicated cases requiring contact lenses for adequate correction of vision, such as corneal scars (371) and irregular astigmatism (367.2), are disqualifying. (Note: For safety reasons, you will not be allowed to wear contact lenses during boot camp training).

After boot camp and your SOI/MCT MOS school one you hit the fleet and on liberty you can wear contacts.

Personally on a deployment if is a six moth ship/training/liberty cruise I would take them and you would have an opportunity to wear them....on liberty and maybe a little on shipboard life.

For in the field training purposes I would say no because of sand,dust, contaminants, the gases emitted by your weapon,dry eyes the list can go on and you won't be able to stop and put in drops or clean a contact.

:evilgrin:

Komenko
01-03-10, 10:29 PM
Just a suggestion, it would be great if you could use the search bar first, as contact lenses has been talked about before, and I believe eyesight questions have been talked about also.

have you typed in eyesight into the seach box? if not try it and see what comes up! if every question you think has been answered then get rid of the "Ask a Marine" forum. Nicky asked a question and Phantom answered it. instead of jumping on people to use the seach box how about you wait more than 3 minutes for somebody other than yourself to answer it! in my mind I already labeled you as the "forum police" and your not very much help!

Lisa 23
01-03-10, 11:18 PM
No need to get bent out of shape there Komenko. It was just a suggestion for him to use the search bar first. I didn't say he had to use the search bar first.
Some of you people really need to lighten up and stop taking what I say as being the forum police.

Typed in eyesight........
-Question about eyesight
-Does Vision Affect Your MOS Assignment?
-Eyesight Question?

Typed in contact lenses.........
-EYE, VISION Military Medical Standards for Enlistment.

Read this before posting in Ask A Marine
10. Last thing before you post: You sure you did a search?

dizark
01-04-10, 01:10 AM
(3) 20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye is my standards. If I could get in, so can you.

Phantom Blooper
01-04-10, 07:40 AM
20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye is my standards. If I could get in, so can you.

The key word is correctable....if they can correct it with lenses(glasses) then there should be no problem.

Before it is brought up....do not get lasik surgery until after boot camp....some Marines on this site had lasik after boot camp at government expense...and some poolees had it before and had to wait on a waiver to enlist.Your call......:evilgrin:

Sgt Leprechaun
01-04-10, 07:22 PM
Wait until you are in to get Lasik. It's waiver if you have it prior.

Komenko
01-04-10, 08:02 PM
Wait until you are in to get Lasik. It's waiver if you have it prior.

side note the Lasik service list is like 4 years long from the last time I had applied for it in 2006!

Sgt Leprechaun
01-04-10, 08:04 PM
I figured. Paid for mine out of pocket in 2000.

Komenko
01-04-10, 08:07 PM
I figured. Paid for mine out of pocket in 2000.
yeah if a Marine new to the Fleet applied right when he gets to his unit, he would have to wait untill after his 1st reenlistment to get it done :(. seems everyone wants it and i'm still stuck with my glasses lol

Nicky the Great
01-05-10, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about getting the PRK surgery, but damn a 4 year wait haha.

If I WERE to wear my contacts on patrols and such, do you guys think these (http://www.activesportsunglasses.com/wileyx-xl1.html) would help eliminate some of the problems listed earlier (sand, dust, weapon gases, etc)?

Also, thanks for your help, Marines.

Phantom Blooper
01-05-10, 08:46 PM
Would you wear sunglasses on a night patrol?:evilgrin:

firedog974
01-05-10, 08:51 PM
I would NEVER suggest a Marine buy any particular brand of sunglasses for regular wear. The reason being is you cannot wear any "eccentric" eyewear, to include sunglasses. "Eccentric" is a fairly loose term,and open to a lot of interpretation. You may have one Cpl who thinks what you are wearing is within regs, and another who thinks they are eccentric. Wait till you have a little time in to see what will fly, and what won't before you spend any money.

Nicky the Great
01-05-10, 08:57 PM
Thank's for the advice on regs. As for purchasing them, I'll probably buy them either way for my personal range time.

Would you wear sunglasses on a night patrol?:evilgrin:
They come with two pairs of lenses, clear and smoky.

Phantom Blooper
01-05-10, 09:00 PM
The Sgt basically said what I was going to say....some Marines on here coming back from Iraq were talking about different types of sunglasses that were bought prior to leaving.

Don't put the jump into to getting anything like that until you know what your command will say.

Contacts on patrol....with sunglasses....you are still subject to the above...and if you get something under the sunglasses in the eye...and on the contact your screwed.

Do as you want....when I was a grunt the contacts had to be heat treated....they came along way.....but I personally think liberty is the only time to wear them.

No one is going to be looking at your eyes in field unless a corpsman getting something out of your eye.:evilgrin:

Komenko
01-05-10, 11:29 PM
The Sgt basically said what I was going to say....some Marines on here coming back from Iraq were talking about different types of sunglasses that were bought prior to leaving.

Don't put the jump into to getting anything like that until you know what your command will say.

Contacts on patrol....with sunglasses....you are still subject to the above...and if you get something under the sunglasses in the eye...and on the contact your screwed.

Do as you want....when I was a grunt the contacts had to be heat treated....they came along way.....but I personally think liberty is the only time to wear them.

No one is going to be looking at your eyes in field unless a corpsman getting something out of your eye.:evilgrin:

personally I wouldn't wear contacts on a patrol! you will never know what you'll be hit with and a blast from a grenade or IED could knock them out from you! Also why buy sunglasses when you can get them for free! While in the Fleet you will be able to see an eye doctor and get 2 free pair of regular reading glasses, glasses inserts for your ESS partrol sunglasses, inserts for your gas mask, and a pair of BC sunglasses (if you ask for them). so take my advice and save your cash for a personal pair to leave at home cause what the Navy and Marine Corps gives you will get its fair share of wear and tear in less than 6 months! also the ESS glasses are issued PPE for every Marine and Sailor. they come in dark, clear, and yellow!