PDA

View Full Version : Uniform Costs

ETWilliams0209
01-01-10, 10:16 PM
Any Marines here remember what their total initial expenditures on uniforms were after boot?

May be bad luck but I'm just trying to figure up how much spare dough I'm going to have at my disposal after I am through with training.

Lisa 23
01-01-10, 10:21 PM
Check this thread out, it may help some........
Quick Boot Camp questions
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92119&page=2

polizei
01-01-10, 11:05 PM
I had a total of $2,400 from bootcamp. The only thing I can see that's directly taken out is airlines. But as a PFC, that's about how much you should expect. For a PVT, I would say ~$2,000. Keep in mind, this is for being single. If you are married, with dependant(s), you'll rate more. My buddy left with close to $4k.

MIKECHRY
01-02-10, 01:10 AM
My Son Just Graduated In December. He Escaped With $1600

SGT7477
01-02-10, 08:31 AM
We had to pay for ours but I seen where a new Marine said they didn't have tp pay for theirs, I know one thing they make way more today than I did,lol.

Apache
01-02-10, 08:53 AM
Money left over ?
What a waste
When I was (17)excuse much 18 I lived for the moment--------lol
Young and dumb !

ETWilliams0209
01-02-10, 08:57 AM
Thanks Marines, I guess I can figure about another $1600 after MCT and MOS too. Maybe more since I'll have uniforms out of the way but I like to be conservative. After training I go on reserve pay.

polizei
01-02-10, 11:25 AM
Just save your money at MOS school and you'll be fine. And reserve pay sucks btw.

Zulu 36
01-02-10, 02:05 PM
You have a full initial issue of uniforms when you graduate from boot camp. Any uniform purchases you make after that are to either replace damaged uniforms, or buy additional uniforms (which is your option), or buy uniform items that have become newly required (there is usually a two-year or so phase-in for these).

Eventually I had probably a triple-issue of the uniforms I wore most frequently (utilities and Charlies). I bought those additional uniforms out of my pocket, but normally I bought them used from guys getting out at a significant discount.

ETWilliams0209
01-02-10, 04:53 PM
You have a full initial issue of uniforms when you graduate from boot camp.

So... I dont pay for uniforms? Or they get taken out of my pay? I have a friend who's currently a wannabe (trying to help change that) who's insisting on buying me a pair of Danners after boot, hope I don't wind up with two pair, if so I'll have a pair I can mess up so I guess it's alright.

Just save your money at MOS school and you'll be fine.

1/3rd of what is left over gets invested. The rest is getting blown on guns and stuff for my Jeep, because I'm young and dumb ;):yes:.

Thanks Marines!

Lisa 23
01-02-10, 05:13 PM
Tell your friend he doesn't need to buy you anything. Everything you need, gets issued to you in boot camp. Your uniforms do come out of your pay, you just don't miss it because you really don't get any of your money until you graduate from boot camp, and everything is paid for.
I believe the only uniform that may be free is if your the honor grad from your platoon, then your Dress Blues are free, but everything else, you pay for.

ETWilliams0209
01-02-10, 08:32 PM
Your uniforms do come out of your pay

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'll be sure to let him know. He's hellbent on getting me something (jealous as crap that I'm going in first too) might as well be something I can use.

Thanks Marines!

MontezumaCpl
01-02-10, 08:42 PM
When I graduated Boot Camp in 1981, I think it was about $800.00+ for Uniform costs. Not sure exactly but that figure sticks in my head. Long time ago...

polizei
01-02-10, 10:28 PM
Instead of Danner's, I would have to recommend Bates Lights. I have a set of Danner's and while they're comfortable, I would try to get them issued to you. I was lucky in boot and chose them, I had no idea until after boot how expensive they were. Try to get those!

But after boot, I bought the Bates Lights after MCT, but I wish I would have had them on boot leave for MCT. They make a HUGE difference when your in them all day. They're very light, only weigh as much as a shoe, so running is much easier. I REALLY could have used them in MCT. And just make sure the boots you buy are USMC approved, they all will have the EGA on the boots.

Zulu 36
01-02-10, 10:42 PM
I'm sorry folks, but I just don't know how enlisted Marines pay for their issued uniforms? Officers have to pay for uniforms out of their pocket, but how do enlisted pay for theirs? I keep seeing...