View Full Version : LST crew completes voyage up Mississippi, Ohio rivers

08-25-03, 07:03 AM
August 21, 2003

LST crew completes voyage up Mississippi, Ohio rivers

Associated Press

MOBILE, Ala. — A crew of Navy veterans who sailed the Mississippi and Ohio rivers in a World War II vessel have completed their 78-day journey, and along the way raised more than $500,000 to help preserve the warship.
The crew of 28 veterans returned to the vessel’s home port of Mobile Tuesday after the 3,150-mile fund-raising voyage. The money will go toward repairing and maintaining the ship, an LST-325, which is being restored to travel from port to port as a floating museum.

Captain Robert D. Jornlin, 64, of Earlville, Ill., said the experience was “priceless.”

More than 70 people served as crew members at different times during the trip and gathered donations and sold souvenirs in the effort to preserve the vessel, which delivered troops to Normandy during the D-Day invasion.

“Veterans who served on LSTs and the widows of veterans who served on LSTs would come on the ship and shake your hand and thank you for bringing it to their city, “ Jornlin said.

The river journey began in Chickasaw, Ala., in early June and the crew visited towns including Vicksburg, Miss., Memphis, Tenn., St. Louis and New Orleans.

But the biggest crowds showed up in the Indiana towns of Evansville and Jeffersonville, where thousands of LSTs were built during World War II.

LSTs were designed to land on beaches and disgorge troops, vehicles and other equipment directly on shore.

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.


The tug boat Mobile Power tows the World War II vessel LST-325 up the Mobile River, Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2003, with downtown Mobile, Ala., in the background. The ship, with its crew of World War II veterans, returned to Mobile, capping a successful 78-day voyage which raised $500,000 for its future as a museum vessel. — Mike Kittrell / Mobile (Ala.) Register / AP



08-25-03, 09:03 AM
:marine: Roger, this subject conjurs up a flashback in late march 1952, when the entire 1st Marine Div FMF was dislocated from the Eastern Front to the Western Front to protect Seoul from a suspected Gook push to recapture the largest city in Korea...all 4 Marine Regiments treked overland [westward]...heavy armor units like the 1st Marine Tank Bn [120 tanks] made a 24 hour nonstop roadmarch to the little seaward beach at Soko-ri...the roadmarch was over razor back mountain ranges and a blizzard hallmarked our slow 75 mile journey...it was an awesome sight of Marine might...with 120 steel monsters awaiting the US Navy..I tell you this...we were the cruds of cruds [Hogan's goat had nothing on us]...we stunk to high heavens leaving the precipitous Eastern Front of battle...little by little the Navy LSTs got bigger and bigger off the horizon...these [Large Slow Targets] gobbled up the entire 1st Marine Tank Bn and put out to sea with a flotilla of destroyers as protective escorts...to be able to have hot showers, hot chow, clean dungarees and a dry rack to crap out on...was Marine Valhalla to us Marine tankers...we knew what was ahead of us...but those Navy guys couldn't do enough for us...it was a little slice of the war then, but hot damn big joo-joo to us...I sent away for an official photo of LST 1068 and it adorns my bulkard in my war library...we can cuss at the Navy, but I love the US Navy-Marine Corps team forevermore...thx Roger, for a nostalgic trip back to when the Korean War Marine was...King of the Hill!! Semper Fidelis:marine: