PDA

View Full Version : Not sure of which route to take?

dlw558
01-01-10, 10:02 PM
Hello my name is Dennis Wise and first I would like to thank all the Marines and other armed services for answering our nation's call to serve.

I have a question.
I have a received a NROTC Scholarship-Navy option to The Citadel, the military college of South Carolina.. The thing is , I realize this is an amazing offer that very few people ever get the chance to have. But I want to be a Marine. I have contaced the MOI at The Citadel, and he said it is possible to switch but it is almost impossible since the Navy needs their misshipman.

Would it be a good idea to enlist in the Marine Corps first ,receive enlisted experience and then go for an officer commissioning program? Or just go with the US Navy and hope I can get an interservice transfer?
If I do decide to enlist first, what MOS will prepare myself the best to make sure I am adequately equipped to lead Marines as an officer?

SlingerDun
01-01-10, 10:13 PM
Take whats within your grasp before it slips away, forever....

--->Dave

Lisa 23
01-01-10, 10:15 PM
I can't help you with your questions, but you could've used bigger print. That's some small print that you used.

Quinbo
01-02-10, 03:19 AM
I can't help you with your questions, but you could've used bigger print. That's some small print that you used.

Holy crap I had to break out my reading glasses!

I've known a few Marine officers that took the citidel route so attending there will not automatically lock you in to the Navy or the Army.

DADDYMAC34
01-02-10, 07:03 AM
As I understand it the NROTC scholarship has a USMC option. The Citadel is a great choice!!! Call the Marine liaison there and tell him you want the Corps. Let him do the dirty work. You qualified and got the scholarship, that was the hard part. The option should be easy. Here is the number MarinesDepartment of Naval Science (http://citadel.edu/nrotc/)843-953-5193

Hello my name is Dennis Wise and first I would like to thank all the Marines and other armed services for answering our nation's call to serve.

I have a question.
I have a received a NROTC Scholarship-Navy option to The Citadel, the military college of South Carolina.. The thing is , I realize this is an amazing offer that very few people ever get the chance to have. But I want to be a Marine. I have contaced the MOI at The Citadel, and he said it is possible to switch but it is almost impossible since the Navy needs their misshipman.

Would it be a good idea to enlist in the Marine Corps first ,receive enlisted experience and then go for an officer commissioning program? Or just go with the US Navy and hope I can get an interservice transfer?
If I do decide to enlist first, what MOS will prepare myself the best to make sure I am adequately equipped to lead Marines as an officer?

SGT7477
01-02-10, 08:21 AM
I strained my eyes on that post.:D

Lisa 23
01-02-10, 01:59 PM
I strained my eyes on that post.:D
Same here.....

Zulu 36
01-02-10, 02:08 PM
Ahhhhh, my eyes are bleeding from the strain!!!!!

Please use bigger type size and regular fonts for these posts. Most of us need binoculars to read at the best of times.

MontezumaCpl
01-02-10, 02:28 PM
Heh, yeah I was straining reading that too. Seems like you should contact The Citadel as DaddyMac suggested there may indeed be a USMC slot as part of the Naval Option. An educational scholarship is a fantastic opportunity, and at a Prestigious institution like The Citadel, that is a huge plus.

Congratulations and Good Luck, keep us posted!

dlw558
01-02-10, 02:30 PM
Sorry about the size issue. Is this acceptable? The size that shows up in the reply box in relation to the actual post is different (at least on my computer).

That is what I was told also. There is a possibility of switching but from what he told me, the MarineCorps isn't actively recruiting cadets, the Navy is. So the Navy will be reluctant to let go of their midshipman, and from what he has heard; noone has had any luck whatsoever.
My goal is to be a Marine.
Wouldn't it be possible to enlist and after certain amount of time in service go into the MECEP program at The Citadel? If I can get in now, why wouldn't I be able to get in later with the addd benefit of being a Marine with enlisted experience?

Capt Kays
01-04-10, 06:17 PM
Dennis:

I was the recorder for the NROTC Sideload Scholarship Board that met last year. This board meets at least twice yearly in Quantico, Virginia, to determine who will receive "change of option" scholarships to switch from Navy Option NROTC to Marine Option scholarships. The number of scholarships given out is significantly less than the number of individuals who begin as Navy midshipmen and would like to switch into the Marine Corps program. In order to switch options, you will need excellent grades in Naval Science and in math and science (you will need to take physics and calculus and similar courses and do well in them), a strong PFT score (at least 260), and a good recommendation from the MOI.

Have you considered applying for the Marine Option scholarship outright? It requires you to do the same application that you did for the Navy at the same website, but you check the Marine Option box. The board for this scholarship meets at the end of this month, so you may not have time. If you really want to be a Marine Officer through the ROTC program, it is much easier to start as a Marine Option than to switch half way through your schooling. If you are serious about this, I recommend calling the Recruiting Station in your area and asking if there is any way to submit a package before this year's board. You will need to do a PFT and be interviewed by the Executive Officer, so they may say that you are too late.

Even if you don't do the Marine Option ROTC program, I would not despair, nor would I automatically move to enlisting as your best option. You can also contact the Officer Selection Officer once you are in school and ask them about the possibility of going to Officer Candidates School. People in the Platoon Leaders Class program do get some financial assistance with college. You can drop your NROTC scholarship after one year without having to pay any money back, if you choose another commissioning path.

Best of luck in your future.
-Captain A. Kays

Sgt Leprechaun
01-04-10, 07:26 PM
And there you have the BEST answer of all. I'd for sure take a long, hard look at the Citadel before turning it down.

Go with what the Capt. suggests.

dlw558
01-04-10, 07:43 PM
Dennis:

I was the recorder for the NROTC Sideload Scholarship Board that met last year. This board meets at least twice yearly in Quantico, Virginia, to determine who will receive "change of option" scholarships to switch from Navy Option NROTC to Marine Option scholarships. The number of scholarships given out is significantly less than the number of individuals who begin as Navy midshipmen and would like to switch into the Marine Corps program. In order to switch options, you will need excellent grades in Naval Science and in math and science (you will need to take physics and calculus and similar courses and do well in them), a strong PFT score (at least 260), and a good recommendation from the MOI.

Have you considered applying for the Marine Option scholarship outright? It requires you to do the same application that you did for the Navy at the same website, but you check the Marine Option box. The board for this scholarship meets at the end of this month, so you may not have time. If you really want to be a Marine Officer through the ROTC program, it is much easier to start as a Marine Option than to switch half way through your schooling. If you are serious about this, I recommend calling the Recruiting Station in your area and asking if there is any way to submit a package before this year's board. You will need to do a PFT and be interviewed by the Executive Officer, so they may say that you are too late.

Even if you don't do the Marine Option ROTC program, I would not despair, nor would I automatically move to enlisting as your best option. You can also contact the Officer Selection Officer once you are in school and ask them about the possibility of going to Officer Candidates School. People in the Platoon Leaders Class program do get some financial assistance with college. You can drop your NROTC scholarship after one year without having to pay any money back, if you choose another commissioning path.

Best of luck in your future.
-Captain A. Kays

Alright thank you for this new information. I have actually gone to a recruiting office and talked to them about it. I dont necessarily want to be an officer but my main goals are to become a Marine and after I am finished with my time in the Corps to go and become a teacher in which I need a degree.

What are the educational benefits like in relation to balancing job and school and certain oppurtunities therein?

TunTvrnWarrior
01-05-10, 08:01 PM
dlw558, you have your education paid for. This is a no brainer here. The Citidel is a prestigeous university and will look outstanding on your resume. CAPT KAY knows what he is talking about. I beg you to listen to him. It sucks to work and go to school. Dont pass this opportunity up. In the meantime, keep on checking for other scholorship opportunities. If you get some sort of civilian scholarship, you can go PLC without the Citidel. Print up what the good Captain wrote you. Read it over. Call up a Marine OSO and have him go over it with you.