PDA

View Full Version : A health-related question, also a question about the ASVAB

the68
01-01-10, 12:33 PM
Hello Marines! A while back I asked a few questions about going into the MP field and received some satisfactory answers and information (much thanks for that!). I've been lurking this forum ever since.

I have two questions that I'd like to get some Marine input on;

1; are there any Marines here who've had experience with minor spondylosis (not to be confused with spondylolisthesis or spondylolysis) in the Marines? I looked it up but can't find any info on it being a disqualifier or non-waiverable. Also, what does the military have as far as chiropractic assistance goes?

2; I am getting ready to wrap up high school in June, is there anything in particular I should be doing before graduation in regards to future military service? furthermore, is there anything that I should be studying in particular for the ASVAB if I'm planning on entering 58xx?

Thanks so much for your time, and happy new year!

Lisa 23
01-01-10, 12:56 PM
Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Appointment
Spine and sacroiliac joints

Jun 10 2009
The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/medicalwaiver.htm)) are an authenticated history of:

Current or history of ankylosing spondylitis or other inflammatory spondylopathies (720) is disqualifying.

Current or history of any condition, including, but not limited to the spine or sacroiliac joints, with or without objective signs that:

(1) Prevents the individual from successfully following a physically active vocation in civilian life (724) or that is associated with local or referred pain to the extremities, muscular spasm, postural deformities, or limitation of motion is disqualifying.
(2) Requires external support is disqualifying.
(3) Requires limitation of physical activity or frequent treatment is disqualifying.
Current deviation or curvature of spine (737) from normal alignment, structure, or function is disqualifying if:

(1) It prevents the individual from following a physically active vocation in civilian life.
(2) It interferes with the proper wearing of a uniform or military equipment.
(3) It is symptomatic.
(4) There is lumbar scoliosis greater than 20 degrees, thoracic scoliosis greater than 30 degrees, or kyphosis and lordosis greater than 55 degrees when measured by the Cobb method. d. History of congenital fusion (756.15), involving more than two vertebral bodies is disqualifying. Any surgical fusion of spinal vertebrae (P81.0) is disqualifying.
Current or history of fractures or dislocation of the vertebrae (805) is disqualifying. A compression fracture, involving less than 25 percent of a single vertebra is not disqualifying if the injury occurred more than 1 year before examination and the applicant is asymptomatic. A history of fractures of the transverse or spinous processes is not disqualifying if the applicant is asymptomatic.

History of juvenile epiphysitis (732.6) with any degree of residual change indicated by x-ray or kyphosis is disqualifying.

Current herniated nucleus pulposus (722) or history of surgery to correct this condition is disqualifying.

Current or history of spina bifida (741) when symptomatic, if there is more than one vertebra level involved or with dimpling of the overlying skin is disqualifying. History of surgical repair of spina bifida is disqualifying.

Current or history of spondylolysis (congenital (756.11) or acquired (738.4)) and spondylolisthesis (congenital (756.12) or acquired (738.4)) are disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/spine.htm

Lisa 23
01-01-10, 01:02 PM
Before you get your hopes up of joining the Marine Corps, talk with your recruiter and the doctor's at MEP's on your condition first. It looks like it may me a disqualifying medical condition.

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment, Appointment, or Induction
Main Menu

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/intmedstandards.htm

Medical Waivers
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/medicalwaiver.htm

the68
01-01-10, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the links, it does seem that spondylosis would be a disqualifier but doesn't appear to be unwaiverable; a question you're correct in saying would be a good question for the recruiter.

I'm still curious about anyone who has served or is currently serving in the Marines with spondylosis.

Lisa 23
01-01-10, 02:05 PM
It says that it's a disqualifying condition, then I highly doubt there will be a waiver for it.
And I highly doubt that any Marines here on Leatherneck have that condition, whether they were active or are now retired.

the68
01-01-10, 04:17 PM
So what you're saying is that, even though an approved waiver is still possible to obtain it is unlikely.

Lisa 23
01-01-10, 04:26 PM
I'm not no doctor at MEP's. I'm only telling you from what I've read and know to the best of my ability, is that if a condition that someone may have will disqualify him/her, then I don't think there will be a waiver for it.
Think about it, how can a doctor at MEP's grant a waiver for a disqualifying condition?
You want a more honest and truthful answer, then you will have to take this up with your recruiter and the doctors at MEP's. The Marines here can only offer advice on your situation, that's all.