PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in

Bryson
12-31-09, 09:15 AM
Good morning Marines,

I have been out of the Marine Corps for almost 4 years I EAS'ed as an Infantry Cpl. My wife and I are currently discussing returning to service as an officer as I am half way through my degree program. I am searching for any information out there on getting the process solidified. I understand it will still be 1-2 years until my graduation from college but I want to ensure my degree upon everything else qualifies the requirements to get back into the fight. If anyone has done this or knows of a Marine that does this please let me know.

Just some information about me currently. I have a great job as a security supervisor in corporate environment actually my director and Sr. manager are both prior service Marines. I was found through the M4L program. I am 25 years old I am also a competitive amateur bodybuilder I can still get a high 1st class PFT and have been on the straight and narrow since before I DEP'ed? in back in 2001. I feel that the time away has helped develop my leadership and accountability traits and I feel that it is time to return to the Marine Corps a better Marine than when I left. I regret getting out every day. Wish all of you a safe and great New Years!

Semper Fi

Juicemang
12-31-09, 01:12 PM
You need to find the closest OSO and talk to the Marines there. There will probably be a couple Sgts or SSgts there to assist you, if the OIC isn't in. You may be eligible to complete half of your OCS training this summer, and the other half of the training next summer. If you have your degree then, you'll be eligible for a commission.

I was considering earning a commission a few months ago, but decided to stay enlisted in the reserves. I went to an OSO and they hooked me up with the packet that needs to be filled out. It's somewhat extensive, so be prepared for that. Having a high 1st class PFT is a must. Otherwise, as prior service, you wouldn't have much trouble in OCS or TBS. That's about all the gauage I really have, good luck brother. S/F

Bryson
12-31-09, 03:59 PM
You need to find the closest OSO and talk to the Marines there. There will probably be a couple Sgts or SSgts there to assist you, if the OIC isn't in. You may be eligible to complete half of your OCS training this summer, and the other half of the training next summer. If you have your degree then, you'll be eligible for a commission.

I was considering earning a commission a few months ago, but decided to stay enlisted in the reserves. I went to an OSO and they hooked me up with the packet that needs to be filled out. It's somewhat extensive, so be prepared for that. Having a high 1st class PFT is a must. Otherwise, as prior service, you wouldn't have much trouble in OCS or TBS. That's about all the gauage I really have, good luck brother. S/F

Thank you for the info I am trying to locate the closest OSO in the Pittsburgh area I work in the city I may venture over to the MEP's and see if I can find anyone.. I attempted to come back in enlisted as a reservist as well but I had a less than steller time with the Prior Service Recuirter he made me seem more of a head ache than a number for him so I am looking for a differnt path more of a active duty assingment. I have some time until i graduate and with a wife and 17 month old IF I get approval to get in as an Officer I would need time to plan everything for my family while I attend schools and what not.

I am still in contact with my old Company Gunny (he is a Msgt. now) we email alot he is deployed at the moment and spoke with him about it he is forwarding my contact info to (as he stated) a locked on Infantry LT. that can help point me into the right direction and answer any questions.

Again thank you for the info and best of luck to you as well

Bryson
01-05-10, 01:13 PM
Just an update if anyone is interested.

I contact the OSO. Gave my information and plans and what not. Seems pretty soild so far. I have to re-take the asvab this shouldnt be a problem as I am alot more focused now than in 2000 when I was 16 taking it in high school to get out of class not knowing I was going to join the Marine Corps the next year. I need a 74 to quaify. I have cant take it for a few weeks because my work pretty hectic at the moment. Hopefully this will be the 2nd step of many and I plan on taking this whole process one step at a time.

On a side note this got me all moto...I dusted off the good old MCI's I had packed away in storage and started reading them in the head and when I am sitting around with my wife and daughter.

MontezumaCpl
01-05-10, 02:28 PM
Outstanding! Good Luck Marine!

FmrSgtofMarines
01-05-10, 03:53 PM
Question: Im a former Marine Corps Sgt. I jsut got out in september 09, but got that itch and need to get back in.. How hard will it be fore me to get in with the information below. Im willing to lat move if need be

Here are my stats:
268 PFT
Rifle Expert
Mert. Sgt
Mert. Cpl
Many MOQ's and awards
Asvab of 85, GT of 119
Black Belt Instructor
30+ college credits

Bryson
01-05-10, 09:29 PM
Question: Im a former Marine Corps Sgt. I jsut got out in september 09, but got that itch and need to get back in.. How hard will it be fore me to get in with the information below. Im willing to lat move if need be

Here are my stats:
268 PFT
Rifle Expert
Mert. Sgt
Mert. Cpl
Many MOQ's and awards
Asvab of 85, GT of 119
Black Belt Instructor
30+ college credits

Look for your Prior Service Recuriter in your area, you should be good you havent been out too long. I think after 90 days out of active you go down a rank (that may be incorrect). Make sure you hound the hell out of them from what I have heard and from person expereince PSR's tend to blow you off or dont seem too worried about getting you back in. Double check your Re-enlistement code on your DD-214 if it has some goof code it may take a trip or two down to your meps to talk yourself back in. but anyhow that would be where to start best of luck!

ghost3000
01-05-10, 10:06 PM
Look for your Prior Service Recuriter in your area, you should be good you havent been out too long. I think after 90 days out of active you go down a rank (that may be incorrect). Make sure you hound the hell out of them from what I have heard and from person expereince PSR's tend to blow you off or dont seem too worried about getting you back in. Double check your Re-enlistement code on your DD-214 if it has some goof code it may take a trip or two down to your meps to talk yourself back in. but anyhow that would be where to start best of luck!

You don't lose your rank, you lose time in grade. Also, PSR's are for Reserves. If you want to go active you need to see a regular recruiter.

Bryson
01-06-10, 07:19 AM
You don't lose your rank, you lose time in grade. Also, PSR's are for Reserves. If you want to go active you need to see a regular recruiter.

Thanks for the info

brian0351
01-06-10, 12:09 PM
www.marineocs.com is a great reference site for going Officer.

Bryson
01-06-10, 12:19 PM
Awesome Thanks just registered there.

Bryson
01-07-10, 12:40 PM
I finally got ahold of my studnet advisor, I graduate with my B.S. in March of 2012. I notice I still have a case of hurry up and wait. I am still going to brush up history, weapon systems and drill and start doing PT like a Marine and not as an amature bodybuilder anymore so I can get my 3 mile back under 20mins. Thanks for all the info and will be looking up info for PLC maybe that option is better for me and my family. So until then I will be standing by to stand by.

One question if someone can chime in is 28 years old too old to apply for OCS?

Juicemang
01-07-10, 01:42 PM

I'm not 100% on this one, but I do remember you need to have your degree somewhere around the age of 28. Just call your OSO and ask, but I know that it's close. As long as you're accepted for PLC beforehand and have attended one of the 6 week trainings, you should be good to go.

Bryson
01-07-10, 01:45 PM
I'm not 100% on this one, but I do remember you need to have your degree somewhere around the age of 28. Just call your OSO and ask, but I know that it's close.

I will give him a call about it, I wasnt sure if that is without 4 years prior service or just a general rule. On the other hand I will not be 28 until May of 2012 so I have a few months. Thanks for the reply

flyby
01-08-10, 08:12 AM
I finally got ahold of my studnet advisor, I graduate with my B.S. in March of 2012. I notice I still have a case of hurry up and wait. I am still going to brush up history, weapon systems and drill and start doing PT like a Marine and not as an amature bodybuilder anymore so I can get my 3 mile back under 20mins. Thanks for all the info and will be looking up info for PLC maybe that option is better for me and my family. So until then I will be standing by to stand by.

I actually asked an OSO about this. As long as your Max Constructive age is below 35 you are good to go. So, you have plenty of time.

Bryson
05-20-10, 01:30 PM
Well its been a while....

I decided that going on The Officer side would no be the best thing for me. I am in a really good position at my company and the pay cut would be large. My company was on board and would hold my spot if I would go reserves. But they time away for TBS was setting myself up for failure.

So I decided to contact a Prior Service Recuriter about going enlisted reserves. There is a Weapons Company about an hour away and would really be a perfect fit for me and my family not having to move all over the country again. 3/25 in Akron Ohio. Anyone know any NCO's there I could bounce a few questions off of perferably an 0351?

I should have no issues of getting back in I run a the same PFT (285) now than I did 4 years ago. apparently I will just be extending my IRR contract while doing Drill. I still need to get the details but I am going to go visit the 1Sgt within the next two weeks.