PDA

View Full Version : BAH & Family Separation Pay while at Boot Camp?

SabreJack
12-31-09, 01:06 AM
Good Evening Marines,

I have a wife and daughter. I have asked my recruiter several times, and he is unsure of the answer. He is waiting on a definitive response from his boss and it has been over two weeks now. I have tried the search function, but it isn't working for me right now. I have been given conflicting answers, but the general consensus seems to be that the answer is yes, but no one can point to a specific regulation or order.

Will I receive BAH and Family Separation Pay while at boot camp, if so, can you please provide the regulation. Someone said they thought it was in a Joint Task Force Directive, but unsure of where. If I am awarded BAH & separation pay, will I be able to send this home in the form of an allotment, or will it be awarded as backpay? Lastly, I was also told that the Marine Corps would pay for my household goods to be stored in a local self-serve storage facility if my wife decides to move in with parents/friends (and reimbursed like a travel voucher). Can anyone corroborate this?

dizark
12-31-09, 01:09 AM
You will definately receive BAH so long as all the paperwork for you and your dependents is in order. Also, when you get to boot camp, during receiving you'll fill out some extra paperwork as a dependent package. Not quite sure if I got paid Separation Pay so can't help you on that.

Also, not familiar with them storing things for you. When I got to my first duty station here in the fleet, I was told I had 90 days to keep my stuff stored if a house wasn't available and a 90 day extension after that with written proof if a house wasn't obtained in the first 90 days... Not sure how this applies to a "recruit" going through boot camp.

Best of luck to you.

Quinbo
12-31-09, 02:10 AM
Unless I'm mistaken FSA only applys if you are deployed for more than 180 days. Boot camp is not a deployment. Hopefully one of the remington raiders will step in and give you the real scoop.

codeman92190
12-31-09, 06:07 AM
Just as the Lcpl. said, you will recieve BAH for sure. You will receive a few bank statements throughout bootcamp, and when I saw mine I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my rackmate was making so much more money than myself. It took me a while to realize that he had a wife and 2 children.

ALSO, if for whatever reason your pay is off, your Senior Drill Instructer will be able to handle it all for you.

As for the other stuff, I couldn't tell you.

BR34
12-31-09, 09:42 AM
You'll get BAH and FSA while in recruit training, MCT, and at MOS school. The BAH will be at the rate of your spouse's zip code. FSA is 250 per month and will stop the day you detach from MOS school.

Chances of you setting up allotments or other payment plans while at the depot are slim.

Unless I'm mistaken FSA only applys if you are deployed for more than 180 days. Boot camp is not a deployment. Hopefully one of the remington raiders will step in and give you the real scoop.

Spouses have to be separated for 30 days to get it but it doesn't have to be from a deployment.

Quinbo
11-09-11, 07:07 AM
I think there should be a not being married entitlement. All Marines not carrying extra baggage should get a stipend.