PDA

View Full Version : Some good Jobs / MOS Jobs?

Flo619Rich
12-30-09, 10:43 PM
I would like to first off ask for forgiveness if I did not follow the rules or fill out my profile correcltly. I am new here.

I just finished MEPs today and DEP on monday. The purpose of my post is to seek advice from others who are experienced and have basic knowledge of the current positions.

My ASVAB score was 70 and my GT score was 107. (I think it was GT). I qualify for most jobs with my scores. I have perfect vision and hearing with no criminal record. I am also likely shipping out later in the year from what my recruiter told me so I will have my AA degree.

When I sat down with my recruiter he was busy and I could not get the kind of advice I was looking for.

My first choice is UT which is Military Police / Corrections. I also became interested in Electrician because of the 10,000$ bonus attached to it after my training is completed.

I did not intend on joining the Marines for bonuses etc but I did plan on joining for technical skills outside of the military. Some things I am not too interested is Aviation / Vehicle / Administration / Mechanics. Is there anything else I missed or something that could be recommended? All responses are appreciated and I am keeping an open mind.

Lisa 23
12-30-09, 11:17 PM
Here's a list of MOS's in the Marine Corps

United States Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions and Qualification Factors
Main Menu
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/marinejobs.htm

dizark
12-31-09, 01:14 AM
Ok, first thing first. My recruiter, who is a MP, as well as what I've heard from others is that MP's are being phased out. Supposedly they'll do field stuff only and civilians will handle the local garrison police work. Here in Hawaii, we have civilian police and MP's currently on base.

Second, don't get confused on your Electrician MOS. You're probably talking about the Command and Control Electrician with the 10k bonus. This signing entitles you to 2 different job fields, that being Communications (06xx), and Utilities (11xx). I chose this option as well as well as most of my Comm class, and we all got a communications job, such as Data Communications, Field Radio Operator, or Wireman. You're not guaranteed to get Electrician and the way I've seen it, you probably won't, although this is dependent on the needs to the Marine Corps.

jinelson
12-31-09, 05:37 AM
By Flo619Rich
I would like to first off ask for forgiveness if I did not follow the rules or fill out my profile correcltly. I am new here.

Wow what a breath of fresh air. You have done well son and Im sure that the Marines here will help you as much as they can.

Jim

codeman92190
12-31-09, 06:16 AM
I noticed you're not opposed to, yet did not express interest in a combat MOS. Just food for thought, because once you get done with Marine Combat Training, you're most likely going to wish you had chosen one. I'm not sure how long that effect lasts, but I'm a month out of MCT and I'm still glad I chose Artillery.

Other than that, I would suggest you not pay attention to bonuses (although, again, artillery is offering 6k). I don't know about you, but anything less than 100k sounds a little to small when you're talking about the next four years of your life.

dizark
12-31-09, 03:07 PM
A Combat MOS is not always for everyone. And to be clear, every job in the Marine Corps is just as important as the next. Besides, you're not even in the fleet yet, so you shouldn't judge how awesome your MOS may be compared to others until you gain the experience from it. Best of luck with school though!

Old Marine
12-31-09, 06:15 PM
An admin job is good for the fact that anywhere there is a detachment of Marines you have the opurtunity to get stationed there.

Same goes for Supply.

CplGiraffe
01-01-10, 03:34 PM
There's always intel jobs... not combat, not admin, a good mix... of course depending on which one you get.

MD8724
01-01-10, 08:01 PM
Other than that, I would suggest you not pay attention to bonuses (although, again, artillery is offering 6k). I don't know about you, but anything less than 100k sounds a little to small when you're talking about the next four years of your life.

Nothing sounds a little too small compared to 10k.

You can seriously get 10k for being an 06xx ? I say go for it. Then if you want to re-up after 4-5 years, you will *probably* qualify for a big bonus then too (40k~ish).

Flo619Rich
01-02-10, 02:38 AM
Thanks for all the responses! They definatly help and I could not have asked for a better answer than from DIZARK. I felt like my question was perfectly aimed at your response.

I dont mind any combat MOS but I feel like I may not get enough out of it. I want to be a Marine but I dont plan on limiting my oppurtunities to just the Military. The job MP for example is a reflection of my future ambitions to become a Police Officer in just about any Police Department. This is why Electrician was my second choice cause I know there is a high demand for electricians who get paid very well outside the military.

If there are any other responses I would greatly appreciate it. If it involves combat then im not worried. I know what I am getting myself into and it would be an honor to serve.

Fubar5812
01-03-10, 01:59 AM
Ok, first thing first. My recruiter, who is a MP, as well as what I've heard from others is that MP's are being phased out. Supposedly they'll do field stuff only and civilians will handle the local garrison police work. Here in Hawaii, we have civilian police and MP's currently on base.

yea i'm one of those MP's your referring too lol

I'm a K9 handler, so I do stuff the regular road Mp's don't but I can tell you it's a great MOS to get into. Garrison life sucks, cause your basically handing out tickets,standing gates and showing up to domestics and trying to get a straight story out of the grunt on why PFC nuckinfuts has a black eye but nobody saw a thing. But it gives you alot of insight into what Police Officers do on the outside and its a good chance to learn the MOS better and then you switch to a field unit and its a TOTALLY different animal. You'll work shift work (usually 8 hour shifts) 2 days on 2 days off which is pretty sweet. Being an MP is a challenge, it's hard being a PFC or Lcpl and having to tell a 1stsgt or gunny what to do but you get used to it. If you have any specific questions about K9 or Mp school or whatever just PM me.

Flo619Rich
01-03-10, 03:26 PM
Great advice. Thanks for the insight and I kinda figured it would be awkward to go to domestics and having to tell a sergeant what to do.

So could you give me some more insight to an MP? Some of the things you were mentioning seemed very interesting and I want to know more. Also what is an MP's mission in Afghanistan?

Fubar5812
01-03-10, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't know as I haven't been to Afghanistan, though I would imagine there mission is essentially the same as Iraq..MSR security and perimeter security as well as cordon and searches.

well it's a job, just like any other job in the Marine Corps. you have to be patient, have bearing and know when to "turn it on and turn it off" so to speak. Most Marines do not like MP's...I will admit there are those that let it go to there heads and give people tickets or MOR's for really stupid crap. Myself i'm not gonna pull you over if your going 5 mph over the limit but I will if you run a red light or I believe your intoxicated. They pulled K9 off the road so I haven't worked that side of it in a while.
Be professional be courteous. don't show up to a call and assume everyone is a suspect and treat them as such, you'll learn to write down everything and get an eye for certain things to look for on a call. You'll deal with everything from traffic violations to assaults and burglaries. My base we have a music festival once a year, THATS always fun..alot of crowd control involved ;) you'll have to ask someone else about the field side, i only know what MP school taught me.