PDA

View Full Version : Need someone in OKI to go shopping for me $$

Chumley
12-30-09, 02:37 PM
Here's my situation: A long time ago in a drunken stupor I broke my roommates two ceramic dragons he had purchased in OKI. One drunken shot, two dead dragons.

Yesterday I actually spoke to him after about 17 years and I remembered that I had always wanted to get him new ones, but I never had the opportunity.

I'm hoping that a Marine in OKI might know where to find me some. If you do, I'd like you to snap a couple photos and email them to me to make sure they're the right ones, and let me know how much they are. Once we figure it out, I'll send you a check to pay for them and also to wrap them in a huge wad of bubble wrap and ship them to me. I can't find anything like them online.

I'll also make sure I make it worth your time to do this for me.

The ceramic dragons I broke were about 12-15" tall, greenish, very cool....not crappy, but definately pretty nice quality. My old roomie was/is a cool dude, and although he let it all pass, I know he was bummed big time. I haven't really forgiven myself even after all this time.

Will someone hook a brother up? If so, please reach me here on Leatherneck, then we'll set up the rest. Thanks!!!
SFi
Chad

Hamelink83
12-30-09, 08:10 PM
I'll see what I can find for you. I know there is a place on Foster that has a lot of Jade pieces there.

Vandrel
12-30-09, 09:49 PM
Register on the ZY forums, that's where all the Oki guys and us prior Oki guys hang out
http://www.zeroyon.com/

You can also go to http://www.japanupdate.com It's like the Lejeune Yard Sales for MCB Camp Butler.

sparkie
12-30-09, 09:51 PM
Get me a reel to reel,,,,,,,,

Chumley
12-31-09, 07:41 AM
Thanks Bros! I really appreciate it!!! Please keep me posted Hamelink. Although they were ceramic and not jade, you might be looking in the right spot. If anyone else know where to look, all info is greatly helpful and appreciated!!!

I will also ask on the other sites you suggested to Vandrel, just in case.

Sparky - I've got one but your home movies might be too much for even me :sick:

SFi, and Happy New Year Marines!
C

Chumley
12-31-09, 07:56 AM
From what I recall, this is pretty close to what I BROKE...

Chumley
12-31-09, 08:13 AM
This is another that is similiar - I think this would be an expensive one...8501

NoRemorse
12-31-09, 08:23 AM
So you and the wife are gonna take a vacay out to Oki, right, bro?

Chumley
12-31-09, 08:31 AM
So you and the wife are gonna take a vacay out to Oki, right, bro?

THAT would be very cool!! It has crossed my mind - wanna go?

NoRemorse
12-31-09, 08:35 AM
THAT would be very cool!! It has crossed my mind - wanna go?

I'm troubled with this notion. Do we take the wives... or devise a story that would get us to Oki without them?

Chumley
12-31-09, 08:40 AM
Hmmmmm Let's see.....it's like this....the USMC has personally contacted ONLY Ray and I to go to Okinawa for a super secret black ops mission that only he and I are qualified for. We may be gone...

sparkie
12-31-09, 08:47 AM
:banana:
Must be a bananna thing.

Reel to reel was the hottest music thing in Oki when I was there. I think every barracks had about 10. Next hottest was watches. I brought home a carved chess set. Don't remember dragons.
If you too go, I'll give you names of a couple o grannys I know.:sick:

NoRemorse
12-31-09, 08:54 AM
Some people prefer gums.

Chumley
12-31-09, 09:14 AM
ummmmmm granny-san? You no chew!

NoRemorse
12-31-09, 09:29 AM
Just another day in our glorious Marine Corps

Chumley
12-31-09, 10:43 AM
Less gums, more shisa

Chumley
12-31-09, 10:47 AM
Focus, Ray, focus. :banana:

NoRemorse
12-31-09, 10:50 AM
Focus, Ray, focus. :banana:

Tell that to mama-san:marine:

I'd like to see what was in that post you deleted...

Chumley
12-31-09, 10:53 AM

Can't type - technology deficient too...

NoRemorse
12-31-09, 10:58 AM
Can't type - technology deficient too...

A gummer'll do that to ya

SGT7477
12-31-09, 01:56 PM

A boiled egg with or without,lol.:D

SlingerDun
12-31-09, 05:48 PM
8500I wouldn't pay more than $40 for that pair if i collected ceramics. Are they containers?

SlingerDun
12-31-09, 05:49 PM
This is another that is similiar - I think this would be an expensive one...8501$25-$30, maybe

Phantom Blooper
12-31-09, 06:04 PM
If you too go, I'll give you names of a couple o grannys I know.:sick:

Sparkie,

Do you think these granny's are still alive....most important....do you think they still have teeth?:evilgrin:

Chumley
01-06-10, 08:07 AM
If anyone knows where in OKi to get these, I'd appreciate your assistance!
SFi
C

TJR1070
01-06-10, 08:31 AM
Shīsā (シーサー) (Okinawan: siisaa) (alternative spelling shishi or shisaa) is a traditional Ryukyuan decoration, often found in pairs, resembling a cross between a lion and a dog, from Okinawa mythology. Many people put a pair of shisa on their rooftops or flanking the gates to their houses. Shisa are wards, believed to protect from various evils. When found in pairs, the shisa on the left traditionally has a closed mouth, and the one on the right an open mouth. [1] The open mouth to ward off evil spirits, and the closed mouth to keep good spirits in.

Originally pairs like these were called "shisa and guardian dogs": the right with its mouth opened is the guardian, the left with its mouth closed is the shisa [2]. Gender is assigned in various manners to the shisa. Some Okinawans believe the male has his mouth closed to keep bad out of the home, while the female has her mouth open to share goodness [3]. Others believe the female has her mouth closed to "keep in the good," while the male has his mouth open to "scare away the bad" [4]. (Compare this to the distinction between male and female guardian lions in Chinese culture.)

The shisa, like the koma-inu (lion dogs), is a variation of the guardian lions ("fu dogs") from China [5]. The shisaa, or lion dog, is an Okinawan cultural artifact. In magic typology, they might be also be classified as gargoyle beasts. They are traditionally used to ward off evil spirits.

I bought my pair at Camp Courtney's PX. I can't part with mine but I did find a couple pairs on ebay when I did a search.

Hamelink83
01-06-10, 07:29 PM
If anyone knows where in OKi to get these, I'd appreciate your assistance!
SFi
C

I'm still looking around but I've been in the field so I haven't really had a chance to look around.

Chumley
01-08-10, 12:57 PM
Thanks!! Your efforts are appreciated. I'll check EBay again...didn't see much last time.
SFi
C