PDA

View Full Version : Resolution to rename the Department of the Navy

Phantom Blooper
12-30-09, 07:32 AM
Jones: Resolution to rename the Department of the Navy on track to pass

December 30, 2009 3:11 AM

HOPE HODGE

For nearly a decade, a congressional measure to rename the Department of the Navy to acknowledge the Marine Corps has died in committee. But this year, Rep. Walter Jones says the legislation is on track to pass.

Jones, congressman for North Carolina’s third district, including Onslow County, Camp Lejeune, and the New River and Cherry Point air stations, announced earlier this month that the measure, introduced in January, has 362 cosponsors to date, the second-highest number of any bill or resolution introduced this year.

The resolution, H.R. 24, would redesignate the Department of the Navy as “Department of the Navy and Marine Corps” and change the title of Secretary of the Navy to “Secretary of the Navy and Marine Corps,” with similar designations for department assistant secretaries and the general counsel.

Jones said Monday it was only fitting that the Marine Corps received equal recognition as one of the four branches.

“If the Marine Corps and the Navy are supposed to be one fighting team, then why in the name of the department does it not have both names?” Jones said. “To me this is all about honoring the Marine Corps, who deserves to be recognized.”

Jones said he had been told by the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, Rep. Ike Skelton, that the measure had a good chance of being brought to the floor of the house on suspension, circumventing committee, if Jones could find 350 cosponsors by Christmas.

With 12 more than that before the New Year, Jones said, “we should be in real good shape.”

The resolution would change, for one, the notification that a Marine’s family members receive if he or she is killed in combat, Jones said. While they now receive a letter from the secretary of the Navy, featuring only the U.S. Navy flag in the letterhead, with this measure, the letter would feature the Marine Corps flag as well.

“To me, this is such a simple thing to do, because it is the right thing to do,” Jones said.

Jones said he got the original idea to change the department’s name from Ret. Maj. Gen. R.G. Richard, then-commander of Camp Lejeune. And the feedback he has received from his colleagues in the House has been enthusiastically positive, he said.

“You know what they say to me, truthfully, is, ‘Why hasn’t it been done before now?’” Jones said.

According to the Web site www.marinecause.com, former Marine drill sergeant and Golden Globe-nominated actor R. Lee Ermey is a spokesman for the redesignation issue.

Other organizations that have expressed support are the Marine Corps League, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and the Fleet Reserve Association.

George Barrows, commandant for the Onslow County Detachment of the Marine Corps League, said, as a retired Marine, he supported the measure.

“The Marine Corps has always been separate from the Navy,” he said. “I think that this bringing a little distinction to the Marine Corps is what we needed.”

Enrico Dalimonte, surgeon for the Jacksonville chapter of Veterans of Foreign Wars, voiced his support as well.

“We’ve been talking back and forth here,” he said. “We can’t wait till it’s approved.”

The legislation will likely go to the House floor on suspension in March or April. Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts, a former Marine, has already introduced companion legislation in the Senate.

Contact Hope Hodge at 910-219-8453 or hhodge@freedomenc.com.

NoRemorse
12-30-09, 07:40 AM
Somebody tell Hope Hodge that R Lee Ermey was not a "drill sergeant". Ugh... I have a bad taste in my mouth now from that term.

And Jones can shut the fvck up.

We're the Marine Corps. We stand apart. We don't need our name listed there.

Imagine all the single mothers coming to the Department of the Navy and Marine Corps trying to find daddy.

Madness!

jinelson
12-30-09, 07:41 AM
We have been hearing this for a long time lets hope that 2010 is the year that it happens.

Jim

sparkie
12-30-09, 07:43 AM
And why would we want more association with squids?

12-30-09, 07:57 AM
Unnecessary

sparkie
12-30-09, 08:01 AM
Yep,,,, they get stolen valor, and we get the shaft, again.

jinelson
12-30-09, 08:04 AM
By Sparkie:And why would we want more association with squids?

To me a seperate association with squids is way better than a total association.

Jim

Mongoose
12-30-09, 08:44 AM
The reputation of the U.S. MARINE CORP, already stands alone.It should be Department of U.S. MARINE CORPS, period. Not listed beside any other branch of service!

jetdawgg
12-30-09, 08:59 AM
This could bring more distinction to the US Marine Corps and I think that it is well deserved. There has not been a real Naval conflict since the Falklands War and America's involvement in a true Naval Conflict has not occurred since WWII.

The U.S. Navy is a major cog in the defense wheel of America. It protects us from harm on three sides.

The U.S. Marine Corps has been the major participant in every major American Campaign and there looks to be no discontinuance of this characteristic:usmc:

echo3oscar1833
12-30-09, 09:38 AM
Off topic, but personally I think General Jones is an idiot.

giveen
12-30-09, 09:49 AM
I really don't care either way. We are still the Marine Corps, and our name stands for itself.

Zulu 36
12-30-09, 09:53 AM
To me a seperate association with squids is way better than a total association.

Jim

As one of my old SNCOs once said, "Once we figure out how to walk on water, we won't need the Navy anymore."

:flag:

Phantom Blooper
12-30-09, 10:12 AM

Echo are you talking about General Jones the former commandant?

Or Walter Jones the NC congressman?

:evilgrin:

Hotel4341
12-30-09, 10:17 AM
http://www.marines.mil/unit/hqmc/Pages/CongressmenpushforaDepartmentoftheNavyandMarineCor ps.aspx

This is from eight months ago. While I do like the idea, I'm not holding my breath just yet.

echo3oscar1833
12-30-09, 10:21 AM

Scratch that, I ment to say General Conway is a Idiot not General Jones. Sorry Guys:D

MUSTANG0369
12-30-09, 10:38 AM
Scratch that, I ment to say General Conway is a Idiot not General Jones. Sorry Guys:D

Based on ??????? Please, I feel the need to be entertained.

echo3oscar1833
12-30-09, 10:56 AM
Based on ??????? Please, I feel the need to be entertained.

I don't feel the need to be entertained its just one mans opinion. Yes I think he is a great Marine, however I feel his policies on tattoos are retarted ie I think he is an idiot. Thats the main reason. :D

NoRemorse
12-30-09, 11:16 AM
LOL, nice tangent, Ben:beer:

MUSTANG0369
12-30-09, 01:12 PM
I don't feel the need to be entertained its just one mans opinion. Yes I think he is a great Marine, however I feel his policies on tattoos are retarted ie I think he is an idiot. Thats the main reason. :D
Well that sums it up, you really shouldnt say more. You have said quite enough.

Now if you want the truth, his right hand man is running the tattoo policy. Now you may ask how i know? He was my Regimental SgtMaj when I was a DI. And he convinced the CG to start with all of the tattoo screening, and more stringent proceedures regarding screening for DIs and Recruiters. This bled across to the WRR, which starting making a big deal for poolees. Hence anytime the CMC is asked at a town hall forum he lets the Sgt Maj answer the question.

So if backing the SgtMaj of the Corps is proves you to be an idiot, then I guess he is.

And for edification I have over 13 tattoos, so i am less than thrilled about the policy. But I have been around long enough to know that the only constant in the Corps is change.

He is the best CMC I have had in the almost 14 years I have been in the Corps.

DevilDog0801
12-30-09, 01:24 PM
We don't need to be further associated with those squids and if they did do that, it should be the Marine Corps first, not the Navy.

I much prefer 'Dept. of the U.S. Marine Corps'. :flag:

Integrity57
12-30-09, 04:14 PM
That wouldn't make much sense Sgt since the Navy is almost a whole month older than the Corps. But I don't see why the Corps was named as a "department" of the Navy in the first place and why this issued wasn't resolved a long time ago since the Corps' mission is completely different than the Navy's. Sure theres still Marines on Navy ships and Navy Corpsmen still deploy with Marine units but so ****ing what? The ties that bind the two services have thinned since the days of ships with wooden hulls.

DevilDog0801
12-30-09, 04:20 PM
That wouldn't make much sense Sgt since the Navy is almost a whole month older than the Corps. But I don't see why the Corps was named as a "department" of the Navy in the first place and why this issued wasn't resolved a long time ago since the Corps' mission is completely different than the Navy's. Sure theres still Marines on Navy ships and Navy Corpsmen still deploy with Marine units but so ****ing what? The ties that bind the two services have thinned since the days of ships with wooden hulls.

Alphabetically speaking, M before N right? :banana:

Anyway, I still believe the Corps should have 'Dept. of the U.S. Marine Corps'

Kegler300
12-30-09, 04:29 PM
We should have our own, separate department and interservice transfer corpsmen to the Department of the Marine Corps.

Integrity57
12-30-09, 04:55 PM
Pardon me, what I should have said is that Chronologically it wouldn't make sense to put the Corps first but yes, alphabetically it would. Still my point is I don't know why this wasn't changed a long time ago.

sparkie
12-30-09, 05:29 PM
Pardon me, what I should have said is that Chronologically it wouldn't make sense to put the Corps first but yes, alphabetically it would. Still my point is I don't know why this wasn't changed a long time ago.

It is set to keep us humble,,,, Is it working?

Integrity57
12-30-09, 05:33 PM
I've never met a more humble group of folks Sparkie lol ;)

Quinbo
12-30-09, 05:46 PM
At one time the Air Force was a part of the Army. They still have AAFEs

DevilDog0801
12-30-09, 06:57 PM
A 'humble Marine' is an oxymoron. :p

NoRemorse
12-30-09, 07:50 PM
A 'humble Marine' is an oxymoron. :p

Always thought "celibate Marine" was an oxymoron... or a myth

Vandrel
12-30-09, 09:45 PM
I've always said the Marine Corps should be on it's own. Corpsman fall pretty close into this topic as well, I've never met a Corpsman that wasn't as much of a Marine as the rest of us, except for those "blue side" fellas. I'm sure there's still plenty of Docs that wouldn't want to be 100% Marine Corps, they like to keep the seperation from the "******* Gunny's and butter bars".

One of my favorite stories involved a good buddy of mine that was a outstanding Doc, spending his days at the gym often in green on green and of course sporting a mega-low reg. A Gunny in boots and uts came up to him and started harassing him about his hair cut, throwing his arms up in the air and freaking out over Doc's "freakin out of control hair cut" and he wanted to know who is SSgt was. Doc let him run his mouth for at least 5 minutes and ended it with one sentance, "I'm a Corpsman, MAN" and walked away. Oh yes, I died laghing as the Gunny just ate the crow and pouted while saying "well you better be a Corpsman with a out of control hair cut like that, ****ing peice of ****".

Roger Shepherd
12-30-09, 10:08 PM
They can put us with anyone, Our name will still stan taller then anyones The US MARINE CORPS

rickyracer
12-31-09, 03:16 AM
I would like to be in our own Department,
but it is not going to happen.
It makes to much sence. Our goverment does not run on logic!!!

ZSKI
12-31-09, 05:13 AM
Who the **** cares we are a Naval Service in our roots the name is appropriate i think. Plus it will **** up all our abbreviations pertaining to the subject. SECNAV just roles of the tounge better then SECNAVMARCOR

yanacek
12-31-09, 05:51 AM
This legislation is yet another example of wasted effort by the government that amounts to nothing. Change the name--big deal. It's about as useless as legislating permission for veteran's to salute the flag while out of uniform during the National Anthem. Our legislators need to work to solve our economic problems, not waste their time with bull$hit that makes us feel good and provides them with a sense of self-fulfilling false accomplishment.

Mongoose
01-01-10, 08:40 AM
I think that when Congress is domininated by a party that is breaking the back of ( honest taxpayers), to make a lot of undeserving people feel good. Its o.k. to enact iegislation to make deserving MARINES feel good! I hate to think CONGRESS cant do two things at once.