PDA

View Full Version : 92-Day Reservist program + MP MOS = how does this work?!

saoirsefreedom
12-29-09, 11:53 AM
Hi all! Thanks a lot for the help, it's appreciated,So without going into detail (*ahem* annoyingly amazing new G.I. Bill) my Dad succeeded into getting me to agree to, instead of enlist in the...

Lisa 23
12-29-09, 12:10 PM
How about filling out ALL of your profile first by telling the Marines here about yourself, and then read the rules, and maybe a Marine will be along to help answer your questions.

dizark
12-29-09, 12:52 PM
From the way I've seen it, those reservists go to boot one summer, MCT the next, and MOS school the next, however the 92 day reservists I knew sometimes did it differently. One went to boot and MOS School all in one go and will complete MCT next summer.

Lisa 23
12-29-09, 05:13 PM
Now that you've filled out your profile and the Marines here can see some info on you, how do you plan on going into Marine Corps boot camp by being in the UK going to college?

saoirsefreedom
12-29-09, 05:22 PM
To WMarine; I apologize, I didn't even think to actually check if there was more to fill out about myself, I realize that was a trifle unhelpful. And the rules are read and understood!To dizark; Thank you so much for relaying your experiences. I guess, based on the guys you've met, if that thus means I wouldn't be fully trained, and actually useful to the Corps, for three years then I'm probably gonna have to kiss goodbye to the university cuz I don't think I can wait that long =/ Any Marines that could shed any more light on how this program works would be hugely appreciated! :) I can't seem to find much on it and, as I'm in England, can't really ask a recruiter as of yet. (I should point out that I am a U.S. citizen!) Thank you Marines.

saoirsefreedom
12-29-09, 05:29 PM
WMarine; Good question! All my family is in the U.S., so moving over there isn't an issue; I was born and raised here in the UK as a dependant of a U.S. servicemember. 'College' here is just a two year 'furthering' of one's education; we get our 'high school diploma' at sixteen and then this optional two year stint at a sixth form college, as it is so called, is the equivalent of your 'SAT' exam, if you will. The British education system is confusing at best and just plain stupid at worst...but that's just my humble opinon. So I would attend Marine boot camp by just moving in with my dad's sister once I'm closer to turning 18. That was pretty long-winded also =/

Phantom Blooper
12-29-09, 05:43 PM
Are you a US citizen....born in a US military hospital or are you a British national?:evilgrin:

saoirsefreedom
12-29-09, 05:47 PM
I assure you, Sir, I am a U.S. citizen - well, i have dual citizenship as I also have an Irish passport (mother) as well as an American passport (father)...however, I am most definitely willing to revoke the British citizenship uplon enlisting.
*Edit* My father chose not to live on base, so I was born in a British hospital. Nationality still says United States of America on my passport :D

polizei
12-29-09, 08:05 PM
92 day reservist typically go to boot, stay at their unit for around a year, then go to MCT (or MOS school), and then MOS school (or MCT) the year after that. Basically it takes between 2-3 years to get through all the training. If you're out of school or just want a break, I'm sure your unit will work with you and send you to MCT/MOS school during one summer, if that's what you want.

I've seen some go to MCT first and some go to MOS school first. It depends on the unit.

Lisa 23
12-29-09, 09:05 PM
When you get back to the states, you should get in-touch with a recruiter to get more info on this.
Also, have you taken the ASVAB yet? Do you require any waivers medically, or have you been in trouble with the law that may also require a waiver? Do you have any weight to lose? Are you in good physical shape?
You'll also have to find out info from a recruiter about your British high school diploma.
And why don't you want to wait to join the Marine Corps until you're 19? That's right around the average age for enlistment for men and women.
These are just some of the things you'll have to get done way before you sign on the dotted line.

ZSKI
12-30-09, 02:11 AM
Well it all depends i managed to do bolth in one summer. Now what happens is u go to bootcamp then report into your unit at which point u are expected to drill once a month to make a sat year come the end of your school u report to MOS school which your training nco has to book all for u. Now i believe its 4 months total for u one for mct 3 for mp's at ft lenordwood. Now as a 92 you do not qualify for the reserve GI bill pretty much 300 a month until this is all completed. Now to rate 60% of the new one u must complete a 1 year activation or pretty much a standered deployment. Now i was a 92 day in the 1345 mos same training place as mp's so i might be able to answer most fo your questions just feel free to PM if u got any

brian0351
12-30-09, 04:31 AM
You can also try www.marineocs.com for some officer specific related questions.