PDA

View Full Version : Conflicted

dirt_dart
08-24-03, 08:11 AM
I am a 32 year old prior service Air Force Combat Controller who is looking into getting back in the Military and I was wondering if anyone here can give me some input.
I have talked to the Air Force recruiter about going back in and he has told me that I could go back in as an E-3 and because of the years in service I have, I could walk into an E-4 slot as soon as I finish training. I would have to go back through Basic and MOS school again because it has been 7 years since I got out. Because the job I do requires me jump, I can also pick up $150.00 extra a month for being Airborne qualified. He also said that I could pick my first duty station. So basically all I have to do is take my ASFAB, take my physical and wait on a waiver for a medical condition that requires a waiver.
I also talked to the Marine recruiter and this is what he told me. I would start out as an E-2, and within three months of finishing training, I would pick up my E-3. From there, he said, it is an average if 2 years until one gets their E-4. I was also told that I would have about 7 years to pick up my E-6 or I could get the boot under the up and out regs. I was also told that I could only select a career field and not a particular MOS. He also told me that I can't pick a particular post, just a coast. Now here's what the Marines want from me just to enlist. They need a waiver for medical, a waiver because of my age, a waiver because I'm married and have 2 kids and they want me to take a full PFT, just to see what kind of shape I'm in.
I'm looking at the differences between the two and on paper or to anyone who has never served, this decision looks like a slam dunk. However, for me it's not so easy. There are a lot of things that the Air Force does that they could do much better. The discipline, spirit and training are far below those standards of the Marines. I've always like the fact that every Marine is basically trained as a ground pounder first and then in their specialty. I've always respected the Marines and admired the ones I've worked with. My heart right now is singing the Marine Corps Hymn while my brain is saying, follow the money. What to do, what to do? Any input would be appreciated.

Dirt_Dart

:devious:

firstsgtmike
08-24-03, 09:18 AM
I did a quick check. The difference between e-3 and e-4 pay averages about $250 per month (4 and 6 years of service).

Housing allowance is the same for e-3 and e-4.

You would lose the jump pay.

Someone more up to date can correct me on this, but I believe a Meritorious Promotion to e-4 is still possible after six months in grade. All things being equal, your age (maturity) and prior experience should give you a leg up. The rest is up to you.

While a specific MOS is not guaranteed, if you want a similar job as you had in the air farce, you've got some points in your favor if you choose the Occupational Field your previous job was in.

You have two considerations to make. One is your family, and the reduced income in the Marines versus the air farce It may require some belt tightening.

The other, and to me, the most important is who do you want to work with and associate with for the rest of your career. That question is a no-brainer.

Personally, I don't believe the difference in money would be worth it. When you add up the pay, allowances, benefits, etc. The net loss is but a small percentage of the total.

The difference in job satisfaction is incalculable.

I was on Recruiting Duty the year you were born. I was an e-7, the air farce recruiter was an e-5. He had more time in grade than I had in the Marine Corps.

If you go for the money, I guarantee you will pay for it.

Lock-n-Load
08-24-03, 11:51 AM
:marine:Reality Check [32]..you asked for responses....here's mine [in earnest] ...remain in civilian life and the public/private sector for career options...you are MARRIED [with kids] supposedly with responsibilities...you're in the pan; no need to jump into the flames....good luck :marine:

offhand200
08-24-03, 08:27 PM
I have to put some agreement in with Lock-n-load. The fact is, with your experience in the Air Force, and the amount of time you have spent out of any military enviroment, the fact is the Marine Corps is going to wear you out too fast. I hear what your saying as far as the facts behind your dilema, and First Sgt Mike makes some valid points as well. Let me ask you this though. Are you "thinking" about going back into the military? or are you out of options. I don't mean to sound rude. But the reality is, if you have a stable position where you are now, and the income is there, what do you need back in for? I know all about duty, honor, and the pride of being in the military, especially the Marine Corps, but if that was your driving force, I don't think you would have left the military in the first place. So before you make the decision on which branch to go in to, you need to decide whether or not you need to go back in at all.

Lock-n-Load
08-24-03, 08:58 PM
:marine: Thank you, Marine, for the...back-up!! Gung-Ho:marine:

firstsgtmike
08-24-03, 11:27 PM
I responded to the question as it was asked; e-4 air farce or e-3 Marine.

On this site, and from our own experiences, and from listening to others, we have all heard;

"Best thing I ever did was to get out after my tour was up."

AND; "Worst mistake I ever made was getting out."

Also; "The mistake I made was reenlisting the first time."

AND; When I realized I should have stayed, it was too late to go back in."

I admit to being biased in my first post on this subject. Initial enlistment or career, to me it's the Marine Corps or Nothing.

Whether or not to enlist in the first place, or to reenlist for a career is a decision that will affect the rest of a person's and his family's lives. THAT decision I leave up to him, because he and they will pay for it, not me.

I responded to the question as it was asked; e-4 air farce or e-3 Marine. To me, it was a no-brainer.

IF the question had been, "Should I go back in?" I would not have responded, because the best response depends on more complexities than my feeble brain cares to handle.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-26-03, 10:53 AM
First Sgt, you make good points. The strange thing is, I wish I would have stayed in, but getting out may also be the best thing I have ever done. It is a complicated world we live in.
In any case, I have heard that ANGLICO may make a come back (or that it already has). If this is the case, then I think you should talk to your recruiter about this option. The ANGLICO job is similiar to what Combat Controlers do, and with your added training and experience it shouldn't be too difficult for you to advance. Just make sure you are a "squared away Marine" and everything should work out for you if you decide to follow your heart. On the other hand, Air Force life does seem to be better for a family. From what I see at the local Air Force base, their life is quite a bit better than the average Marine. But, there are no CC guys at the base, so it is hard for me to compare.
Of course, most of us here will find more reasons for you to join the Marine Corps. We are Marines and wouldn't be on this site if we didn't have a certain love for our Corps. That being said, Combat Controllers are fine men. The ones I came into contact with were professionals in the truest sense of the word. I also know of several Marines that worked with your breed during Desert Storm, and had only the hghest praise for the work done.
This is a decision only you can make. That being said, everyone looks better with the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor over their heart.

yellowwing
08-26-03, 01:09 PM
If you are comparing money, you should throw in the pay of an Air Traffic Controller. FAA is a government job and you should get a boost from your prior service record. I'm sure the Gov would give you loan to complete the training.

CrazyBrave83
08-27-03, 11:03 PM
Echo,
ANGLICO has made a comeback, I believe. My friend who is in the Corps presently is going out for ANGLICO training soon.

Dirt Dart, you can visit the ANGLICO assoc. site here:

http://www.anglico.org/

And as much as I'd say...go Corps...the decision is up to you and only you. My father spent 20 years in the ANG, so I kind of know what it's like on both sides...I spent a lot of time at Air Force facilities. It's just something that has to click with you. You can question it til' you're blue in the face, it's the decision that matters.

Best of luck to you.

-Poolee Sullivan

Apache
09-17-03, 04:04 PM
Sounds like your'e getting pmomises"too good to be true" HMMM
I agree with previous posts--At your age with kids,wife,dog,etc---why?

Sparrowhawk
09-17-03, 07:06 PM
you'll get to serve at a time you are needed.

Join the Corps and with your age and the time difference you will never make it to the battle field, or taste the realities of being a Marine, that is if you make it through boot camp.

Air force is a safe bet.....
If however, you really want to be a Marine then money, or mos or any of that other stuff should matter....

Either way, your family will be proud of you, and if yo make it, I'll buy you your first beer out of boot camp..

Cook

Sixguns
09-17-03, 09:42 PM
The Marine recruiter provided you with factual information. If you are trying to justify your move back in to the military (although the Corps is not just the military) you need only justify it to yourself and your family. Marines do not recognize other service, prior service with a lot of respect. You will need to go through our training and learn our ways. If you had been a Marine and wanted to be a prior service applicant to the Air Force, I think they just issue you uniforms and give you a few classes on AF regs and then send you on your way to your first assignment....
Anyway, you will need to complete a financial statement among other things to get a waiver or be considered for USMC service. If your family finances do not pass the test as a PFC, you will not be allowed to enlist. We all know promotions will happen later, but if you can't make ends meet as an E-2, you will never be given the chance. You may be better paid and compensated with rank if you return to the AF. Only you can decide how badly you want to be a Marine and how much sacrifice you and your family can endure to make that happen.

SIXGUNS