PDA

View Full Version : #1 Daughter off to the 'Stan

Zulu 36
12-28-09, 08:47 PM
Well, it's official. #1 daughter left Orlando International an hour ago en route to Afghanistan. She goes through an East Coast base to catch the rotator flight to the Middle East.

She was nervous and excited at the same time. I understand; BTDT twice. This is an assignment she has been trying to get for four years. She expects to only be a fobbit for her tour, but things can change.

#2 daughter is rather upset, but my son is a little more sanguine about it.

Phantom Blooper
12-28-09, 09:04 PM
God Bless,Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Everyone has the fear....its what she does with that counts.

That being said if she is like her Marine dad she should be fine.

Wishing her and ALL airmen,soldiers,sailors and Marines in harms way a safe passage and a swift uneventful return!

:evilgrin:

sparkie
12-28-09, 09:13 PM
Why do women go? 'cuse me, I'm just old. Best of Everything to your daughter.

Zulu 36
12-28-09, 09:23 PM
God Bless,Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Everyone has the fear....its what she does with that counts.

That being said if she is like her Marine dad she should be fine.

Wishing her and ALL airmen,soldiers,sailors and Marines in harms way a safe passage and a swift uneventful return!

:evilgrin:

Thanks, Bloop. She'll do just fine. Luckily she got full qualified working the CAFS last year at Ramstein and she'll be doing the same gig at Bagram. She'll also be doing some cross-training into the medical tech area as the CAFS area is the overflow for the main hospital. If the crap hits the fan with the so-called surge, they'll be busy.

DocGreek
12-28-09, 09:25 PM
My very best to your daughter, may her tour be educational, and interesting. I will light a candle for her SAFETY, and a candle for you and family.
SEMPER FI......ALL THE BEST!!!!.....Doc Greek....:flag:

Zulu 36
12-28-09, 09:30 PM
Why do women go? 'cuse me, I'm just old. Best of Everything to your daughter.

Some women go for the same reason men do. Military service is a tradition in our family and she is keeping it going. Dodging the combat zone isn't part of our family tradition either.

Although #1 is married, she doesn't have children who would miss their mommy (except her cats).

devilbones
12-29-09, 06:25 AM
I wish her good luck.

Rocky C
12-29-09, 07:10 AM
Prayers and Thanks Going out to Her and Your Whole Family Chris.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

SGT7477
12-29-09, 07:54 AM
We're pulling for you Marine, God Bless, Semper Fidelis.

Marine84
12-29-09, 09:32 AM
She'll be fine Zulu - I can totally understand the scared and excited at the same time thing. As soon as you get an address for her pass it on. How long is she going to be there?

sscjoe
12-29-09, 09:43 AM
Chris, Bless you and your Daughter. Hopefully one of our Brothers over there can keep an eye out for her.

rb1651
12-29-09, 10:33 AM
I'll be lighting a candle and praying for her safe return. Keep us posted on her journey, and thank her for her service and willingness to go in harms way to protect our freedoms we enjoy.

FistFu68
12-29-09, 12:15 PM
:evilgrin: GodSpeed too Her it ain't Easy being a Father especially when they go in Harms way :iwo: :thumbup:

NCOPOWER
12-29-09, 12:19 PM
Prayer outbound.

Zulu 36
12-29-09, 03:16 PM
She'll be fine Zulu - I can totally understand the scared and excited at the same time thing. As soon as you get an address for her pass it on. How long is she going to be there?

She's supposed to be there six-months - a normal tour for the Air Force. I don't think she is actually going to be in-country for a couple of days. They stop somewhere to get all their battle rattle issued, then go on. She has been transporting her own M-16 though.

Zulu 36
12-29-09, 03:33 PM
I know what you mean, my son is in the "stan" been there a couple of months now. Hadn't heard from him for almost 2 months. He called to day said he's been busy moving and working. Where is she headed? To Camp Leatherneck? They have a Burger King there! Some of the creature comforts. My son as extended his tour there and may not be home until late summer. May God bless you and your family.

:usmc:
Semper Fi!
danimalhanke

She'll be at Bagram at the AF hospital there. If everything goes as expected, she'll never leave the wire. However, that doesn't stop those pesky "To Whom It May Concerns" from paying a visit.

I don't think she is going to extend this tour. She did seven-months in Germany last year and I think her hubby is being very patient about her globe trotting escapades. He knows she's been trying for a combat zone deployment for four-years. I think she'll slow down the long term trips for a little while.

She was on the list to go to Vietnam in 2010 for a ten-day humanitarian gig, but Afghanistan came up and she changed trips immediately.

SlingerDun
12-29-09, 04:33 PM
Good Luck #1 Daugtherhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

--->Dave

Osotogary
12-29-09, 05:36 PM
Geez, Zulu, all the best to your daughter. Heck, all the best to you and your family. Will there be a way for you and your family can keep in touch with her electronically? Perhaps the Air Forces' equivalent to a Regiment/Battalion will have an active website that you can visit. I know that I learned some very general information about where my son was and I even found a picture of him. Please accept my prayers and well wishes. It is never easy, as you know, it helps if you are convinced that she will be surrounded by the best personnel available...maybe, even Marines.:)

Zulu 36
12-29-09, 07:23 PM
Geez, Zulu, all the best to your daughter. Heck, all the best to you and your family. Will there be a way for you and your family can keep in touch with her electronically? Perhaps the Air Forces' equivalent to a Regiment/Battalion will have an active website that you can visit. I know that I learned some very general information about where my son was and I even found a picture of him. Please accept my prayers and well wishes. It is never easy, as you know, it helps if you are convinced that she will be surrounded by the best personnel available...maybe, even Marines.:)

I understand they have Internet at Bagram, even in the quarters. She did take her laptop and her cell phone with calling cards. We used Skype, e-mail, snail mail, and cell phones to communicate when she was in Germany.

I'm sure they'll be a time when she'll call for a knowledgeable shoulder to cry on.

GSEMarine94
12-29-09, 09:20 PM
Zulu, best wishes to your daughter. My brother was stationed at Bagram for 15 months back in 08, it's as safe as it gets around there. Do tell her to get some cold weather gear, if the living conditions are anything like the Army's she'll freeze at night.

Edit: My brother had internet in his barracks and we spoke about every other night.

MontezumaCpl
12-29-09, 10:28 PM
Best of Luck to your daughter, Zulu. I'm sure you are a proud papa and also concerned as well. I'm sure she'll be fine, sounds like she's got everything wired and good to go and is going to be happy carrying on the Family Tradition. Outstanding! :thumbup:

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Gunner 0313
12-29-09, 11:07 PM
:flag:You must be one proud father Zulu. Go get em girl !

Zulu 36
12-30-09, 09:47 AM
Zulu, best wishes to your daughter. My brother was stationed at Bagram for 15 months back in 08, it's as safe as it gets around there. Do tell her to get some cold weather gear, if the living conditions are anything like the Army's she'll freeze at night.

Edit: My brother had internet in his barracks and we spoke about every other night.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers.

I think she'll be OK. They issued her a really nice 0-degree sleeping bag, plus she has some other dirty tricks available. She thinks the hospital staff has insulated B-huts to live in. Of course, insulation can be a relative thing.

I gave her my old Canadian Army scarf and you can do some really neat things with that scarf to stay warm. Damned near big enough to use as a blanket. The Canucks know how to stay warm in winter.

They also issued her one of those big heavy parkas (love them for garrison), the big mittens, and the canvas mukluks that are useless in a wet cold environment, but OK for dry cold. I told her to scrounge up some galoshes to put over her combat boots. For her job, that should be fine. She grew up mostly in Michigan so she has some experience keeping warm in winter.

Her hubby bought her a Kindle and loaded it with a ton of books. Plus she sent me the Marine Corps reading list and asked me for as many books as I had. So, if it is that cold at night, she plans to just snuggle into her sleeping bag and read. Assuming she doesn't work nights, that is.

Here is a shot of #1 daughter doing what an NCO must do to look busy while actually doing nothing. Clip board, pen, studious, yet semi-dazed, expression. I think this was day three of an ORI running on four or five hours total sleep. :D