PDA

View Full Version : Current Wannabe

eboslar1
12-28-09, 02:49 PM
So sadly 5 months ago i made the misinformed decision of joining the Navy. I have friends and family in the Navy and i thought it would be good for me. Well i didnt do enough research and when i did i found out the Navy is no where near as much of a challenge i want. Mentally it may be, but i want the physical as well. So for the past couple of months i have been gathering all the info i can, talking to every Marine i know, and going back and forth about getting released from Navy DEP and joining The Marines. I have made my decision and once my recruiter gets back from holiday leave ill sit down with him and discuss my release.
My question is, how long is the average DEP time for The Marines currently? My ASVAB was 82 and i passed my physical no problem and im 22 years old. Im interested in 61XX field, 08XX or 21XX. Any info or opinions from current recruiters would be much appreciated.

ameriken
12-28-09, 05:04 PM
For the DEP times, you might find some answers here in the poolee forum:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86588

thezero
12-28-09, 05:08 PM
I know out of my RSS the wait is awhile because we're packed, like before I left in September the closest ship date was March, I will get more current info tomorrow when I start my RA. Also you don't get just the 61XX field when you sign up for your job you get the 60XX, 61XX and 62XX, trust me I told my recruiter I wanted to work on jets since my dad wouldn't sign for me to join if I went infantry. If I remember right 60XX is a generic, more to do with safety equipment, 61XX is fixed wing and 62XX is helicopter and ospreys. A quick google check will clarify.

eboslar1
12-28-09, 06:37 PM
For the DEP times, you might find some answers here in the poolee forum:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86588

Yea i looked through that thread before making this one, but most people dont post their DEP date or if they are even old enough to ship out yet. But thanks for the reply. I guess i just didnt imagine it being longer than Navy or Air Force especially with the 30,000 more troops over time. Right now im in my 5th of 11 months of Navy DEP

eboslar1
12-28-09, 06:38 PM
I know out of my RSS the wait is awhile because we're packed, like before I left in September the closest ship date was March, I will get more current info tomorrow when I start my RA. Also you don't get just the 61XX field when you sign up for your job you get the 60XX, 61XX and 62XX, trust me I told my recruiter I wanted to work on jets since my dad wouldn't sign for me to join if I went infantry. If I remember right 60XX is a generic, more to do with safety equipment, 61XX is fixed wing and 62XX is helicopter and ospreys. A quick google check will clarify.

Hey thanks for the reply. I didnt know you couldnt pick one of the three, thanks for the input. Also 61 is helicopter and 62 is fixed.

ameriken
12-28-09, 06:40 PM
My guess would be, assuming you can find a spot in the DEP, it would likely be an easy 6 to 12 months wait before shipping out to MCRD.

eboslar1
12-28-09, 06:47 PM
My guess would be, assuming you can find a spot in the DEP, it would likely be an easy 6 to 12 months wait before shipping out to MCRD.

Thats a kick to the balls, but hey, worth the wait.

codeman92190
12-28-09, 08:26 PM
Do yourself a favor - don't worry about how much time you'll be spending in the DEP. Whether its one month or twelve months, you should be more concerned about making sure the next 4 years of your life will be spent doing something you'll enjoy.

...and I may be biased, but I'd go 08xx if I were you. We're a fun bunch of folks.

eboslar1
12-28-09, 08:38 PM
Do yourself a favor - don't worry about how much time you'll be spending in the DEP. Whether its one month or twelve months, you should be more concerned about making sure the next 4 years of your life will be spent doing something you'll enjoy.

...and I may be biased, but I'd go 08xx if I were you. We're a fun bunch of folks.

Thank you for your reply Marine! I do get what your saying about making sure its what i want to do, which is specifically why i want to be a Marine now instead of serving on Subs. I just hope my RS doesnt drag their heels about releasing me.

sparkie
12-28-09, 08:41 PM
Releasing you???? Hell boy,,,, Dep is NOT a lock in. Who told you that? Drop whenever you want.

codeman92190
12-28-09, 08:55 PM
The Sgt. is correct.

You signed a contract, but it was just for show. You're under absolutely NO legal obligation to report to Navy bootcamp until you swear in (again) the day you ship out.

All it takes is talking to a Marine Corps recruiter, and he will take care of the paperwork... probably while doing a "na-na-na-na-na-na" dance in front of the Navy office*

*Maybe not, but he may think about it at least.

eboslar1
12-28-09, 08:55 PM
Releasing you???? Hell boy,,,, Dep is NOT a lock in. Who told you that? Drop whenever you want.

Oh i know they have to, but i heard they can legally hold out until my ship date. Though i doubt my recruiter would do that being he has told me about people he has released. I just know ill feel like a total douche that day, even though its my life my choice.

eboslar1
12-28-09, 08:57 PM
The Sgt. is correct.

You signed a contract, but it was just for show. You're under absolutely NO legal obligation to report to Navy bootcamp until you swear in (again) the day you ship out.

All it takes is talking to a Marine Corps recruiter, and he will take care of the paperwork... probably while doing a "na-na-na-na-na-na" dance in front of the Navy office*

*Maybe not, but he may think about it at least.

I heard that Marine recruiters, or any branch other than the one who are currently signed with, cant speak to you about them actually recruiting you.

sparkie
12-28-09, 08:58 PM
Oh i know they have to, but i heard they can legally hold out until my ship date. Though i doubt my recruiter would do that being he has told me about people he has released. I just know ill feel like a total douche that day, even though its my life my choice.

NO,,,,,,,,,:evilgrin: What part of non-commited don't you understand?

eboslar1
12-28-09, 09:00 PM
NO,,,,,,,,,:evilgrin: What part of non-commited don't you understand?

Im just going off of reports from service men and women who have done similar things in the past. Though there has been times where recruiters may have over stepped their bounds.

codeman92190
12-28-09, 09:02 PM
If i had a nickel for every time the nasty Army recruiter outside my RSS tried to convert me, I'd have enough to buy him a cola and send him on his merry way.

NO. It's generally in poor taste, but as far as I know, there is no "rule". If you just walked into a Marine Corps station though, tough luck for the Navy, they're not going to care.

codeman92190
12-28-09, 09:03 PM
Im just going off of reports from service men and women who have done similar things in the past. Though there has been times where recruiters may have over stepped their bounds.

Perhaps you should stop pondering hypotheticals via the internet, and just call a recruiter... they have phones.

eboslar1
12-28-09, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=codeman92190;586614]Perhaps you should stop pondering hypotheticals via the internet, and just call a recruiter... they have phones.[/QUOTE

Thank you again for the insight.

doc h fmf
12-28-09, 09:41 PM
Or you can tell them you want to be a Navy Corpman and tell them you want to go to FIELD MEDICAL SERVICE SCHOOL,AND BECOME A FMF CORPMAN

eboslar1
12-28-09, 09:48 PM
Or you can tell them you want to be a Navy Corpman and tell them you want to go to FIELD MEDICAL SERVICE SCHOOL,AND BECOME A FMF CORPMAN

I was thinking about this route, especially since two people joined after i did and both got ship dates which have already passed. But i came to the conclusion that i really dont want to be a medic. Thank you for the response though.

fireandice
12-29-09, 01:14 PM
It all depends on when they have a slot open. Could be 2 weeks or couple of months. The max that you can be in DEP is 1 year before you get discharged

eboslar1
12-29-09, 01:39 PM
Thank you for your response. I knew the longest could be up to a year, 18 months for Navy under special circumstances, but i guess i wanted a gauge of the needs of the Corps at the moment from the...

Lisa 23
12-29-09, 01:53 PM
Eboslar1, the Marines who are answering your questions are giving you the best 'advice' that they can being that most of the Marines here on Leatherneck aren't recruiters. If you're looking for an actual recruiter on this site to answer your questions, there are a few, but they don't come on the boards that much. There are a few former recruiters here on Leatherneck, but I don't think that they have been around for a while.
Your best bet is to walk into a recruiters office and get the answers that you're looking for like a few Marines have already suggested to you.
Best of luck to you. :thumbup: