PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Zephyr

echo3oscar1833
12-28-09, 01:38 PM
A place to talk shop on all things relating to the outdoors.:thumbup:

I'll start if off, what do you guys prefer for a good outdoor gear. For knives I prefer my Ka-bar, but I also like Buck, and Winchester Knives. For camping gear, I don't really have a prefered brand. Its always been trial and error on what works the best for the area I'm at. Boots, its Redwings all the way. Rifles, I usually carry a Remington bolt action .22LR. There really isn't a threat of large game here in upstate Il. Anyways post your gear, trips, pics, etc.

MontezumaCpl
12-28-09, 02:11 PM
I hike and camp a lot, I will post up some pics on my next trip.

Happy New Year Marines!

SlingerDun
12-28-09, 04:22 PM
After a few years out in the weeds i realized that my objective most always comes down to gaining high ground and glassing topography and critters. For active outdoor wear that repels country i've been paying for Filson and Orvis as opposed to being soaked and miserable in Walmart and Target. I'm trying very hard to justify a pair of Leica 8-12x42 duovid 8 binoculars. My Lumix waterproof camera has a Leica folding lens that is quite impressive but was less than 1/5th the cost

--->Dave

*Danner's are the second best boot brand made in Oregon.

Zulu 36
12-28-09, 06:15 PM
I don't backpack anymore due to arthritis, but I still camp with Boy and Venturing Scouts.

I prefer my Glock combat knife for a fixed blade. The blade holds an edge very well and it has a sawback perfect for cutting improvised tent poles. With a polycarb handle and sheath, it is a nice lightweight knife. I carried mine on my trouser belt all through Desert Storm.

I carry my 20+-year old Spyderco lock-blade folder and a Leatherman tool.

As far as boots: Danner only.

Rocky C
12-28-09, 06:21 PM
After a few years out in the weeds i realized that my objective most always comes down to gaining high ground and glassing topography and critters. For active outdoor wear that repels country i've been paying for Filson and Orvis as opposed to being soaked and miserable in Walmart and Target. I'm trying very hard to justify a pair of Leica 8-12x42 duovid 8 binoculars. My Lumix waterproof camera has a Leica folding lens that is quite impressive but was less than 1/5th the cost

--->Dave

*Danner's are the second best boot brand made in Oregon.

I think you should treat yourself to those Binoculars Dave.
There only $2400.00 but I think you can get em for $1800.00:D

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Zulu 36
12-28-09, 06:35 PM
There only $2400.00 but I think you can get em for $1800.00:D

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Seesh, for that kind of money they ought to do laser range finding and give you 8-digit grid map references.

thezero
12-28-09, 06:38 PM
Ahhhhh the outdoors. I love hunting and fishing, four wheeling, snowmobiling. I have pictures and plenty of stories but I gotta find some time to share some of my stuff.

BUT I do love my Remington Model 700 .270 with the wood stock and Mossburg 500 12GA pump action shot gun.

echo3oscar1833
12-28-09, 06:48 PM
I don't backpack anymore due to arthritis, but I still camp with Boy and Venturing Scouts.

I prefer my Glock combat knife for a fixed blade. The blade holds an edge very well and it has a sawback perfect for cutting improvised tent poles. With a polycarb handle and sheath, it is a nice lightweight knife. I carried mine on my trouser belt all through Desert Storm.

I was just looking at some of the Glock Knives good looking steel right there Zulu. I def need to invest into a good set of Bino's.

echo3oscar1833
12-28-09, 06:58 PM
Im hoping to be able to film, and video tape my upstate Il, backpacking excursion that I'm going on in January.

sparkie
12-28-09, 07:56 PM
Camping, fishing,,,, I'm in. Hiking,,,, not so much. But there was a day. Wear a k-bar for looks, but an old hacker for most of the work. Been doing it so long, I'll have a few suggestions.

Zulu 36
12-28-09, 08:09 PM
I was just looking at some of the Glock Knives good looking steel right there Zulu. I def need to invest into a good set of Bino's.

They are nice blades. I have a literal razors edge on mine. I'm only really good at a few things and putting an edge on a knife is one of them.

SGT7477
12-28-09, 08:56 PM
K-bar, 300 Remington Ultra Mag or AR15 with Red Wings.

SlingerDun
12-28-09, 10:50 PM
There only $2400.00Where!?:scared:hehe what makes this purchase difficult is that i already have 5 pair of field glasses and two of them are pretty clear and crisp:nerd:

Oh, and i'm conservative and we're in a recessionhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

SlingerDun
12-28-09, 10:56 PM
Snow shoeshttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon3.gif Could have used them many times but never have. Do you need sticks for balance?

echo3oscar1833
12-28-09, 11:07 PM
Snow shoeshttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon3.gif Could have used them many times but never have. Do you need sticks for balance?

Poles are great for Snow Shoes, its all about putting the right balance on them. Plus make sure you have the snow flake plugs on them. The regular terrain ones don't work well, you just post hole in the snow with the regular terrain plugs. :thumbup:

Marine1955
12-28-09, 11:42 PM
I use to hunt allot for pheasant back in the day but now I only look at them cause of all the operations I have had on my knees.. I had a very nice 12 gage auto Mossberg man it was the cats meooo went every year hunting until I got ran over by a small heard of Cattle and they f*cked my hole life up. can't run can't squat , Can't do a F*cking thing like before. I would give anything to go on a hunt for some Birds Turkey or Pheasant good eating there guys..

DocGreek
12-28-09, 11:44 PM
OKAY!!!...Swamp-Greek here!! All that fancy equipment!!!....IMPRESSIVE!!....BUT...what do you numbnuts know about SURVIVAL??
I use'to go fishin' in the Green Swamp, before my left knee took a DUMP.
I really miss those trips!!.....Doc Greek...:D

MLMonk
12-29-09, 12:16 AM
OKAY!!!...Swamp-Greek here!! All that fancy equipment!!!....IMPRESSIVE!!....BUT...what do you numbnuts know about SURVIVAL??
I use'to go fishin' in the Green Swamp, before my left knee took a DUMP.
I really miss those trips!!.....Doc Greek...:D

I've watched Surviviorman a few times, does that count? :D

I mostly do offroading with the Jeep I had, and with my friends Jeep, we go camping every time, and next time we go, we hopefully actually find a place in the forest and camp there, instead of this RV park thing that we have been using with the Orlando Jeep Club. I've all ways wanted to go hunting, never had a rifle to go, nor the people to go with.

echo3oscar1833
12-29-09, 10:11 AM
Man thats to bad for all of you guys that can't get out and thump around the timber due to physical ailments. But like Sparkie said he still camps, just dosn't hike. I think everyone should get out, and do things, learn about survival. Especially alot of people my generation, most people in my age group or younger are retarted, and would rather play xbox, and munch on cheetos. As my dad always taught me, you learn life skills by doing those kinds of things. :marine::thumbup:

NoRemorse
12-29-09, 10:18 AM
You can munch on cheetos in the wild, just bring your trash back with you :D

Phantom Blooper
12-29-09, 10:33 AM
Cold Weather Training

Mountain Warfare Training

Survival School

All give good insight of roughing it and living off the land.

I did enough roughing in my day...now I have a 35' RV that I no longer sleep on the ground or shiat in the woods.

I like to fish and enjoy wildlife and the good camping of boon docking/dry or in a resort. With a nice campfire...to watch or cook on.....but nowadays my body tells me to do it with my modern appliances and easy flush tools.

I take a side trip with a day pack and have a good time.....

I have have enough camping gear to fill a garage....and hopefully that day won't come in my lifetime or yours that we will have to use this gear as a means of true survival and shiatting in woods daily unless we want to.

But with a little ingenuity and some skill a country boy or city boy can survive.:evilgrin:

montana
12-29-09, 10:45 AM
i pack a reminton springfield 06...soot 190 btsp hornadys loades to 2,900 fps...will take down anything in lower 48...gerber knife...takes a blade and holds it...also have a cupple custome made knives made by my neibor.....had sergery on my left knee twice ...being a logger and maker of stumps i had no choice but to walk...dew to a mis step while felling timber my knee got renched and started bending like it was ment to....8 years ago was told by doc i had to have both knees replacet...nothing but bone aginst bone...but woud have to give up the horse breaking thing....still no knees...still breaking horses still camp snow shoe hike....and i can survive in the high country....with or without supplys...many a grouse or rabbit has helped take the hunger off.....ive never been lost but have just stayed out there just to break the bordom of being to safe.....i hope that if and when it ends they finde me froze stiff up in the high country under a spruc tree with a big shlt eating grin on my face

SlingerDun
12-29-09, 05:08 PM
.....i hope that if and when it ends they finde me froze stiff up in the high country under a spruc tree with a big......I've usually got a grease pencil or two in my ruck for map work and scratching a farewell note for whoever sniffs me out, but i wouldn't hesitate whittling it down for tinder if it helped eliminate the need for a resignation speech.:cool:

--->Dave

echo3oscar1833
12-29-09, 06:10 PM
i pack a reminton springfield 06...soot 190 btsp hornadys loades to 2,900 fps...will take down anything in lower 48...gerber knife...takes a blade and holds it...also have a cupple custome made knives made by my neibor.....had sergery on my left knee twice ...being a logger and maker of stumps i had no choice but to walk...dew to a mis step while felling timber my knee got renched and started bending like it was ment to....8 years ago was told by doc i had to have both knees replacet...nothing but bone aginst bone...but woud have to give up the horse breaking thing....still no knees...still breaking horses still camp snow shoe hike....and i can survive in the high country....with or without supplys...many a grouse or rabbit has helped take the hunger off.....ive never been lost but have just stayed out there just to break the bordom of being to safe.....i hope that if and when it ends they finde me froze stiff up in the high country under a spruc tree with a big shlt eating grin on my face

You ever build your own shelter Montana, or you pack up a tent into high country? Honestly if I can for weight I'll build a leanto, or other form of shelter. Man sounds like you got some experience brother. Semper :marine:

sparkie
12-29-09, 08:08 PM
One of the best things I've had camping [besides spare rope], was a hunk of plywood abt 12 x 12. Disposable cutting board. Always take taters, onions, & oil. with pre scrambled eggs in a tupperware,,,,refried. [shells never break for me]. there's a lot of slicing to do.
Games for the kids? Pick 1 small rock as the target, and 2 baseball size rocks for each person. Throw the small rock, and closest big rock gets the point. Last point gets to throw the small rock. Kinda like mountain golf, you can play for a mile.

montana
12-30-09, 01:56 AM
when i was younger i would pack a pice of plastic a little biger then myself....and a blanket.....ceeder bows made a great leanto top....now days i pack a walltent with a rug a cuple tarps and stove...let the horses do moste the work....when on foot i alway have lots of matches...and pack a candle..they make fire starting almost cheeting....have never had trubble getting fire started...always look for shelterd place wether under a big ol spruce tree or over hanging clif edge...with lots of blow down....set a fire under one of them your good for the night...wife tries to get me to do the RV camper thing....but you can only go where everyone else goes....i like to be where few go and moste are never seen.....if i want to look at people id go to town

sdk87to91
12-30-09, 11:02 AM
best piece of gear ever was the canvas bedroll cover, with the nice 24 inch flap over the face hole.
With it I never need a tent or RV, however the more gear the better. I like to pack the horses up so the camp gets cooler every year. This year it took 6 mule and horse loads to provide for the kids and family. Nice having TWO wall tents for really spreading out and seperating the kitchen and sleeping gear.
In the attached photo note the Kelty Pinnacle child carrier pack in the foreground. All the techno of the new packs but built for child carrying. Has included kids in many a wilderness adventure.

jrhd97
12-30-09, 05:18 PM
Love the outdoor stuff. I have a ton of camping and survival gear.
I tend to stick to Georgia Boots. My Marlin 30-30 with my S&W .40. Carry a Ka-Bar Mule and my Swiss Army knife. A nice tool. My favorite fixed blade is the custom made from Bill Maynard out of Fayettville, NC.
I used to lead a program for boys at church. Royal Rangers. We did a lot of outdoors stuff. Here is a link for pics of some of the stuff we did in the FCF chapter. http://www.ncroyalrangers.ws/FCF/index.html

ecfree
12-30-09, 07:04 PM
Haven't done any hunting sense I came back from Nam,do a little fishing......We used hand granades
for fishing in Nam,the locals didn't like that.........
SEMPER FI :iwo:..........Ed

echo3oscar1833
12-31-09, 02:29 PM
Went and got me a Gerber Profile, and a Leatherman Kick today. All around there both pretty nice peices of gear.

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/335

http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=13&f=6&c=1

echo3oscar1833
12-31-09, 03:02 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2156&pictureid=8927

echo3oscar1833
12-31-09, 03:11 PM
Here is my Kabar Setup, I have it in a Black Hawk Airborne Sheath, on a uncle Mikes Retention Belt, with a 20 Bulb LED Tac Light, in a Stinger Holder. Great Setup for tromping around the timber.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2156&pictureid=8928

SlingerDun
01-01-10, 09:11 PM
There's more than one species in the temperate rain forest and the stinging variety delivers the most bang for your buck. High in protein, chlorophyll and all sorts of potent stuff*

I'll run a handful (leaves, stems and roots) through the juicer with carrot and apple. This time of year the leaves that aren't dead are small and tricky identifying by sight. Only one way for me to know for sure....... yep yep and conveniently found in close proximity here abouts is Swordfern. Allegedly the spore from this leaf will ease stings and scrapes and neutralize the acid from nettle stings. I have not found it to be very effective.

--->Dave

*Roman troops stationed in Britain used to swat their arms and legs with stinging nettle to warm up in the field, which makes sense in a cold wet environment when you don't have ibuprofen because it's also been observed that the "venom" helps ease aches and pains

montana
01-01-10, 11:17 PM
Slinger....the juce from nettels is its own cure
there is a plant called mountain tee...will take a sore throught out fast....also told its good for the blood and kidneis
husk is the root of wild cellery....nock a cold out of you grows where mountain tee grows up in the high country along sid creeks and slews....old indian showed me this stuff way bach when i was a tadpol

sdk87to91....your camp looks alought like mine

kenrobg30
01-02-10, 11:32 AM
I used to hunt the Adirondaks, before aseri9es of accidents slowed me down, and finally, Arthur came calling, and put a halt on it all. Always liked my Dakin, Over and under, 12ga. Where I live, and hunt, I always worried about homes, and people, down range. Knowing the difference in range Between a Rifle and a Shotgun, made me a Shotgun hunter. With Brennecke Slugs for deer, and birdshot , for anything smaller I was perfectly happy. Besides, being the least effort type, If what I was shooting at, was more than 150yds away, I was too damned lazy to walk that far to pick it up. k-bAR, OR ANY Cammilus hunting knife. I sold the Dakin. Worst mistake I ever made. I've got a My Remmington 870 12ga. Pump, and it hasn't been out of the case, in three years, except to get some fresh oil. I don't let anyone borrow it either. One of my grandsons will inherit it. their dads don't need it. :marine: S/F! Ken

MontezumaCpl
01-02-10, 02:06 PM
I camp a lot, used to hunt a lot too. I love being outside. I've backpacked a few hunting trips as well. I keep a lot of gear in my truck and I always bring plenty of extra chow and stuff. I find those little plastic grocery bags can be real handy when outdoors, carrying gear & keeping it dry, keeping a sandwich wrapped up or just packing out your trash when the time comes to break camp.

I never leave camp without my compass, knife, mini maglite, some other gear and some kind of jacket or windbreaker. I use a CamelBack or fanny pack with a few pouches to hold my gear. I've been lost a few times and found my way back, hehe, once in the snow, not a lot of fun, but a learning experience for sure. Now I keep a GPS when out hiking, those things are amazing.

Semper Fi!

montana
01-02-10, 06:32 PM
the zip-lock bags are great for keeping things dry...i keep matches in a number of them...also colect pitch off trees....keep that in zip-lock bads.....will burn anywhere even wet...saved my backside a few times...i sling my pack over the saddlehorn when riding....alway handy if i have to stake the horse and travel on foot...have never had to leave my horse all night but have on more then a few times got back to it in the wee hours of the morning.....sure felt good to be able to ride back to cam

sdk87to91
01-05-10, 03:15 PM
Kabars, leathermen, georgia boots etc..... we have similiar gear.

Jrhd- I too like Georgia boots, they are my intermediate pair for cold Octobers but a little light for true winter. I will use my new favorite's red Dawg lites as long as I can until it gets too cold or wet. then the Georgia boots come out. Needles to say with mules I can afford to have both pairs in camp. Nothing imoproves my attitude like knowing I have extra warmer boots back in camp.

Montana- I like how your stove pipe goes out the side of the tent. I have to send mine out the top but the wind causes the tarp hole to get bigger and bigger with every gust.
I also like how you got your minivan to camp in the snow storm. Must be nice being remote enough to camp without ditching the vehicles.

SlingerDun
02-10-10, 09:59 PM
....the juce from nettels is its own cure
....old indian showed me this stuff way bach when i was a tadpolI took a hit for the sake of science and field tested this remedy. Cause i'm cool like dat:cool:
Ok,

Trauma: Snipped the top off a stinging nettle plant and brushed and daubed the top of the leaves along the back of my hand like a feather duster.

Effect: Hot.

Remedy: Pinch one Urtica Dioica leaf from underneath and fold it up precisely like a taco. Fold it over 1/4, and over again 1/8, etc.. until its small enough to ball up, roll and smash between the fingers working it into a pulp while rubbing it all over the affected area.

First of all, formic acid from stinging nettle influences my chemistry for about 8 hours. That said, the remedy started working directly at about 70%-80% efficacy and remained at about that level for the duration. Not bad.

The stings are just now beginning to dissipate after about 7 hours.:beer:

--->Dave

Quinbo
02-11-10, 04:40 AM
Dave you are messing with bull nettle ... bigger man than I. That stuff hits you like an electric shock then everything goes numb. I'd rather drink a beer and have someone poke me with a cattle prod than volunterially subject myself to that.

cball
02-11-10, 03:05 PM
I lost intrest in hunting 2 years ago ,just didn't want to kill deer anymore.I still let 3 people deer hunt on our property..We only have 16 acres here but its a deer hunting paradise,our little farm boarders over 2,000 acres of hardwood forest .My thing is bassfishing ,soon as the weather breaks I'll be on the water just about every day.I have a 18 ft . Stratos boat and pull it all over .We even go up to Canada,fishing..I've fishing Tournaments since1980,I only fish about 2 or 3 a year anymore.. With all this snow and bad weather all I can do is look through the Bass Pro Catalog..

BR34
02-11-10, 06:26 PM
Im hoping to be able to film, and video tape my upstate Il, backpacking excursion that I'm going on in January.

How does one get into this? I was thinking about it and can't really understand it. Do you go on National Park land? Seems like everything else is owned by someone and anyone walking there would risk being shot for looking like game.

I'd love to bring my son backpacking if I knew how to get started in something like that.

echo3oscar1833
02-11-10, 07:01 PM
How does one get into this? I was thinking about it and can't really understand it. Do you go on National Park land? Seems like everything else is owned by someone and anyone walking there would risk being shot for looking like game.

I'd love to bring my son backpacking if I knew how to get started in something like that.

Basically if just trial and error, doing alot of reading, researching, etc. Its like anything else different strokes for different folks. Some people prefer strait roughing it with little gear, others weight themselves down with alot of gear. Myself I prefer a different range of gear depending on the outing, time of year, length of trip, etc. For strait backpacking/camping you can go to most sporting good stores to get what you need. Over time, you will realize some of the things you need you can get at Wal-Mart outside of the camping section. As far as land to use, well where I live there is alot of public land, plus I go out to private land. If your going on private land talk to owners, make friends, etc. As far as getting shot by a hunter, I usually try and go outside of the hunting seasons, or on public land that dosn't allow hunting. Hope this helps bro. Semper!!:marine:

Edit: If you plan on going to some secluded areas, I can't stress enough getting a top quality knife, or hatchet. It will become your best friend when it comes to fire wood. When I say knife I mean a knife, not some BS cheap Wal-Mart pocket knife, get a fixed blade.

02-11-10, 07:42 PM
I love living in the Pacific Northwest. I'm sorry to hear about all of you poor bastards back East, digging out from ass-deep snow while I'm out catching steelhead practically in my back yard. But that won't stop me from enjoying the feisty little buck that I caught about an hour ago! I like bass (pref. smallies), but steelhead you can fish for all year round.

BR34
02-11-10, 08:37 PM
Basically if just trial and error, doing alot of reading, researching, etc. Its like anything else different strokes for different folks. Some people prefer strait roughing it with little gear, others weight themselves down with alot of gear. Myself I prefer a different range of gear depending on the outing, time of year, length of trip, etc. For strait backpacking/camping you can go to most sporting good stores to get what you need. Over time, you will realize some of the things you need you can get at Wal-Mart outside of the camping section. As far as land to use, well where I live there is alot of public land, plus I go out to private land. If your going on private land talk to owners, make friends, etc. As far as getting shot by a hunter, I usually try and go outside of the hunting seasons, or on public land that dosn't allow hunting. Hope this helps bro. Semper!!:marine:

Edit: If you plan on going to some secluded areas, I can't stress enough getting a top quality knife, or hatchet. It will become your best friend when it comes to fire wood. When I say knife I mean a knife, not some BS cheap Wal-Mart pocket knife, get a fixed blade.

Thanks man. I'm going to see what I can find within a couple hundred miles or so of where I am. I'm always looking for an excuse to buy cool stuff anyway.

SlingerDun
02-11-10, 08:39 PM
BR,
REI stores keep a pretty extensive map inventory. I like USGS topo quadrangle series but you may want to browse a variety of topo trail maps and check the legend to see when the map was last field revised. Some trail maps contain 10 or more established routes on one map along with difficulty ratings, best time of year, trail traffic, points of interest, how long it should take, availability of water, camping facilities, closed or restricted areas, directions on how to arrive at the trailhead and where to park etc...Trails Illustrated comes to mind.

Most all of today's good maps are printed on waterproof paper and are tear "resistant". They have public lands bordered in bold color codes: National Forest, Grasslands, Parks, BLM, Wilderness areas.... If you scout out a place you and the kid might want to discover but can't find a dedicated map? REI also has NatGeo topo kiosks. Drag and zoom in for large detail in a small area or zoom out for small detail large area, print it out on waterproof paper for about $10.

It's not big game season in most states unless you deposit sign like bear or mountain lion. I see hikers wearing blaze orange year round and that's cool, but i've never been shot at or killed while hiking on public land any time of year.

--->Dave

BR34
02-11-10, 09:30 PM
Is this the REI you're talking about? http://www.rei.com/

It's not big game season in most states unless you deposit sign like bear or mountain lion. I see hikers wearing blaze orange year round and that's cool, but i've never been shot at or killed while hiking on public land any time of year.

The area I'm thinking about after some quick research is Mark Twain National Forest in central MO. It's about 2.25 hours from me and looks pretty cool. Are people allowed to hunt in National Forests?

02-11-10, 09:33 PM
Are people allowed to hunt in National Forests?

Yes.

BR34
02-11-10, 09:46 PM
Well then...I reckon we'll be colorful.

echo3oscar1833
02-11-10, 09:51 PM
Yeah orange vest is good, if your still interested in the knife part. Here are some of the brands I recommend, and loadout. Usually myself I carry a fixed blade, folder, and multitool. Is this required to have all, probably not, but when your in back country the right tools for the job is best. I carry a ka-bar, gerber profile, and a leatherman kick. All and all good knives, ka-bar is one of the brands I recommend, not as a Marine either, its just they carry high quality steel knives. Other good knives include gerber, ontario, cold steel, winchester, etc. For wood work at a camp fire, I recommend at least a 5inch fix blade. Semper:marine:

echo3oscar1833
02-11-10, 09:53 PM
REI is also an excellent store to by from, its probably to do all of outfitter stores. I also love cabelas, give you a hint though, buy gear out of season. Cheaper prices that way:marine:

SlingerDun
02-11-10, 10:27 PM
Yeah looks good, big and remote complete with 78,000 acres of designated wilderness (bonus) area. Maybe you could even find a secure parking space at Ft. Leonard Wood so your GTO don't get deliverance'dhttp://www.emofaces.com/en/smilies/f/farmer-smile.gif

Yes thats REI and the geeky cool thing about REI is they give WGS84 formated grid coordinates for each store:nerd:

BR34
02-12-10, 07:54 AM
REI is also an excellent store to by from, its probably to do all of outfitter stores. I also love cabelas, give you a hint though, buy gear out of season. Cheaper prices that way:marine:
When is out of season?

Isn't hunting season typically in the winter time. So if I go spring or summer I won't have to worry about getting popped by a hunter?

Maybe you could even find a secure parking space at Ft. Leonard Wood so your GTO don't get deliverance'd

Man my GTO has been gone since mid-2008 when our second son was baking in my wife's oven. I drive a frakin Navigator now. :(

Yes thats REI and the geeky cool thing about REI is they give WGS84 formated grid coordinates for each store

I had a hard time finding the right maps on there. Didn't even see Missouri listed. I'm gonna have to try a search of their site.

Thanks for all the help Marines.

BR34
02-12-10, 08:12 AM
BTW, how are REI's prices compared to others? The reason I ask is cause I get all my shooting gear from Midwayusa.com and they have great prices and quick shipping. Midway has a small camping section on their website (tools/knives, sleeping and cooking gear, etc) but I don't know if it will be enough of what I need.

echo3oscar1833
02-12-10, 09:33 AM
BR when I say buy gear outa season I mean, when it come's to winter backpacking purchase all of your cold weather gear during the spring and summer. All of your spring, and summer gear during the winter season. :marine:

Edit: Packs and stuff like that are pretty standard prices all year, however you can usually find awesome sales, and coupon codes online.

cball
02-12-10, 09:41 AM

I carry a lock blade Spyderco ,my son gave it to me several yrs ago..nice knife..It goes everywhere with me.

SlingerDun
02-12-10, 03:50 PM
Like most competitive brick and mortar stores REI charges about the same for an individual item as online warehouses do after shipping fees are factored in, unless it's SierraTradingPost. They often...

BR34
02-12-10, 04:30 PM
What do you recommend for water? I'm going to bring a good amount but I don't want to have to put 3 gallons of water on my back. Do you recommend iodine tablets or maybe just boiling river water? Seems like it would be a lot easier than carrying multiple canteens/camel backs.

SlingerDun
02-12-10, 04:40 PM
And it tastes like sh*t that treated water does:sick: get a water bottle with a filter and tube or carry coffee filters, drink upstream or directly from the ground. stay clear of pools where critters drink amd mosquitos breed

BR34
02-12-10, 04:45 PM
HA, I found one that has the iodine tabs PLUS a "taste neutralizer". Wonder how well that works.

....did you just say drink directly from the ground?

SlingerDun
02-12-10, 05:22 PM
Yeah where springs pop up, a drainage crossing the trail is a good indicator. Sometimes the source is close to the beaten path and nothing more than a trickle where you can stuff a cattail into the hole or get down on your all fours and and suck it up right from the ground. you might get a little dirt but no varmint *feces. If it's a stream, look at contour lines on the map and if the trail doesn't switchback, if the terrain is all uphill between me and the source and no benches or meadows where pools can form then i drink just above from where i stand unless i want to bushwhack and discover the source

*Giardia:sick:

BR34
02-12-10, 05:26 PM
Man this is going to be quite the learning experience. I've got a feeling I'm gonna head home with raging diarrhea. Yay! :yes:

SlingerDun
02-12-10, 05:47 PM
geeze man i'd say it's about time go outside and get dirty, like a raw human being:cool:

BR34
02-14-10, 08:10 AM
Alright, check it out, I've bought a few things. Just gearing up for what I'm planning to be a 3 day outing with me and my oldest son.

So far here's what I've got:

Tent
Magnesium/flint block
Axe
Saw
(already got plenty high quality knives)
First aid kit
Bunch of 550 cord (don't know why, just always need , like duct tape)
A collapsible 3 piece cook set
Lensatic compass

I'm going to pick up a couple of Isomats and some waterproof matches (incase the magnesium/flint doesn't want to act right). I'm also going to get myself a canteen. My son already has one. I've got a couple of camel backs also. The area I'm going to has wild hogs and black bear so I'm going to carry my 44 mag and get my son some bear repellent. I still need to get my son some comfortable hiking shoes.

I'm also going to pack a couple changes of socks for both of us, and we're both going to bring thermals to put on at night time.

What else is recommended?

cball
02-14-10, 10:23 AM
Alright, check it out, I've bought a few things. Just gearing up for what I'm planning to be a 3 day outing with me and my oldest son.

Tent
Magnesium/flint block
Axe
Saw
First aid kit
Lensatic compass

I'm going to pick up a couple of Isomats and some waterproof matches (incase the magnesium/flint doesn't want to act right). I'm also going to get myself a canteen. My son already has one. I've got a couple of camel backs also. The area I'm going to has wild hogs and black bear so I'm going to carry my 44 mag and get my son some bear repellent. I still need to get my son some comfortable hiking shoes.

I'm also going to pack a couple changes of socks for both of us, and we're both going to bring thermals to put on at night time.

What else is recommended?
Yes ,a Garmin e-Trex hand held GPS..

BR34
02-14-10, 11:13 AM
Trying to keep electronics out of the mix, cball.

I just found something on REI I'm going to try for water purification. It has overwhelmingly positive reviews and it eliminates the need for taking a water purifier.

http://www.rei.com/product/743202

cball
02-14-10, 12:04 PM
Four years ago I was hunting near Blackwater Falls in a wilderness area .I was probably a mile from my truck when fog set in and you couldn't see 10 feet..I had my truck punched in as a waypoint and return route..The Gps took me out exactly the same way I went in..It takes the worry out getting lost..

Zulu 36
02-14-10, 03:40 PM
Trying to keep electronics out of the mix, cball.

I just found something on REI I'm going to try for water purification. It has overwhelmingly positive reviews and it eliminates the need for taking a water purifier.

http://www.rei.com/product/743202

When are you planning to go on your trip?

Katadyn products have a good reputation.

If you are going to camp next your vehicle - bring water from home. Wally World sells 7-gallon containers with spigots fairly cheap.

You have to be careful with the water purifiers. Many do not kill everything in the water, particularly viruses and enteric bacteria. It depends on the micron size of filter screens. Activated charcoal filters alone cannot be trusted to do the job. However, they do improve the the taste of water already treated with chlorine, iodine, Halazone, etc.

Water filter/purification devices that do the whole job reliably are expensive. Worth the price if you're on expedition through deepest Africa or Asia, but not for a few days in the woods in the US.

You can improve the taste of chemically treated water by adding flavored drink mixes.

These tablets are nice if you have the time for them to work. These are an overnight sort of item. Great if you're short of fire fuel. You can speed things up by adding more, but the taste is affected.

You can get bug-killing effect with boiling and a lot faster too, even taking into account cool down. Actually all you have to do is heat the water to at least 185F to kill anything nasty known to man. Since most campers don't carry a food thermometer, boiling is a good rule of thumb and you know 100% you've gone over 185F. You do not have to boil for X-number of minutes like they used to teach.

Another option is simple household chlorine bleach, if you can find a suitable container. There are tables available on line to guide you in the amounts to use per quart of water along with contact times. Contact times vary with the clarity and temperature of the water.

Note: If you are using the REI product, or other iodine and chlorine methods, very cold source water requires longer contact times in order to kill Giardia cysts. As an example, with 2 ppm of chlorine in a quart of 86F water (about 0.1ml chlorine in a quart), only 60-minutes of contact time is necessary. With 40F water, 2ppm requires 240-minutes (or the four-hours REI mentions in their product info). These are scientifically determined contact times, but out in the woods, water temperature is a wild guess without a thermometer. As a result, one should assume longer contact times are necessary to be safe.

Boiling your clarified source water kills everything reliably as fast as it takes to boil. This is the preferred method I teach in Wilderness First Aid courses to Scouts, although the chemical methods are excellent backups as long as you understand their drawbacks of time and taste.

If you are going to chemically purify your own water, put Imodium tablets in your first aid kit in case of the squirts. Some folks take time to adjust to the chemical processes, especially when using iodine or Halazone.

Bring a complete change of clothing and thermals and put it in a water-proof bag or container, not just a single set of thermals. Also have rain-gear or other water proofed clothing. MUST stay dry in cool weather. Change into clean, dry clothing to sleep. Put your dirty stuff on for the day while moving.

A couple of fire-starting dirty tricks: Bring clothes dryer lint in a water-proof container. Great reliable dry-weather lighter to get a pile of tinder going. Another trick is a 9-volt battery and some fine steel wool. Apply both contacts to a bundle of steel wool and viola!

Or, saturate cotton balls with Vaseline, apply match and you've got a fire starter. These are good in wet weather as the water doesn't really affect the petroleum jelly. Even if you plan to be "traditional" with fire-starting, having cotton balls w/Vaseline is a great, lightweight backup for wet-weather emergency fire-starting. You can shove quite a few into a plastic 35mm film canister.

In a wilderness emergency, there is no such thing as cheating.

BR34
02-14-10, 04:13 PM
Man that's a ton of great info Zulu! I'm not even sure when I'm going yet. I'm still recouping from a surgery so I'm just gathering everything needed right now. I will probably do it in late March.

What I was going to do with the water is after setting up camp boil some river/stream water and through the tablets in it and let it sit overnight so I'd have a fresh supply for the following day.

I hadn't thought about water proof clothing. I've got a complete set of Gortex somewhere around here so I'll bring that along. Just got to get something for my son.

I found this stuff at REI that's supposed to be good for tinder in emergency situations. http://www.rei.com/product/631077

I'm about to go try the cotton ball/vaseline thing now...just because.

I also just got some storm proof matches and a packable shovel from REI.

I've been focusing on the normal things I'll need, but what else is recommended for emergencies?

montana
02-14-10, 04:51 PM
in my pack i carry matches and a cupple cig lighters in ziplock bags a cupple candles...both for lights and lighting fires...also a ziplock bag of pitch....have been i blizerds and never had a problem starting a fire an alumanum space blanket thats been in there for umteen years and never used.....umteen candybars and granolla bars asswipe...sharpening steel<----<<<flat one, extra gloves firstade kit elk bugle and cow calls....most time in this country you can finde cold springs at their sours so the water aint been peed in or sloberd in by some infected critter....at camp i have a filters pump that filters out inpuritys
SDK the reason i put the stove pipe out the side is because ive seen to many tents with burn holes in the top from sparks settling on them
and the suv is there because my wife and some of my kids with their kids desided it would be fun to go hunting and camping with grandpa....and the road does end at forestservice land.....the good hunting starts 5 miles back in...the horses make fast work of that
i also pack an axe and entrenching took on my horse...extra clothes and food...aint a gps that can get you back to the truck step for step in the fog or what ever as a horse can....hell you can blin fold um on the way in and they will walk ys right back out....thinkin our K9 friends could take smellin lessons from um

Zulu 36
02-14-10, 06:27 PM
That REI fire starting product is essentially cotton balls soaked in Vaseline. Make your owns are cheaper. Steal as many cotton balls as you need from your wife and you're GTG. Sometimes it helps to...

SlingerDun
02-14-10, 06:28 PM

Tent
Magnesium/flint block
Axe
Saw
First aid kit
Lensatic compass

What else is recommended?Errr a pack burro or llama to hump all that and the kitchen sink. But seriously, :cool: consider carrying good food in case the wild edibles don't plug a hole in the kids belly. Moral is critical with little ones in the mountains who will all of a sudden snap and break down going "union" refusing to proceed when it's tough and overwhelming out there. Regardless, many children tend to get depressed and sull up without decent victuals and energy treats as rewards for making it from one checkpoint to the next, gathering sticks for the fire and such. The occasional dollop of powdered gatorade for his canteen!?

Shop rag or extra bandanna. Oh and you'll need some type of lube for scrapes and blisters, a tube of vaseline tends to be all purpose enough. Ibuprofen.

--->Dave

BR34
02-15-10, 06:25 PM
Yall are a wealth of knowledge. I've spent a couple hundred bucks since first coming upon this thread a couple days ago. I've only got a couple more things I think I need.

I checked my Garmin GPS last night and realized I can save points on it. I'm going to bring that along and save the location of my vehicle then turn it off. If I get lost I can use it to get back to the parking area.

I'm going to get some comfortable hiking shoes and waterproof outfit for the little one and some kiddie snacks. Do you all recommend isomats, or maybe just packing a bunch of leaves under the tent? I'm assuming the ground is going to be pretty cold in central Missouri in March.

Zulu 36
02-15-10, 06:39 PM
Yall are a wealth of knowledge. I've spent a couple hundred bucks since first coming upon this thread a couple days ago. I've only got a couple more things I think I need.

I checked my Garmin GPS last night and realized I can save points on it. I'm going to bring that along and save the location of my vehicle then turn it off. If I get lost I can use it to get back to the parking area.

I'm going to get some comfortable hiking shoes and waterproof outfit for the little one and some kiddie snacks. Do you all recommend isomats, or maybe just packing a bunch of leaves under the tent? I'm assuming the ground is going to be pretty cold in central Missouri in March.

Spend the money on the mats. They're good even in the summer to smooth out the lumps.

Just like your combat boots, get your son his boots soon so he can break them in.

cball
02-15-10, 06:53 PM
As far as the GPS I'd rather have it along and not use it ,than happen to need it and not have it.

montana
02-15-10, 07:18 PM
i have never used a gps...i have an uncany ability to not het lost...i will look at a map real careful when going into new places but if you look at the country and get landmarks keep track of draneages....where the sun is and going...look behinde you once in a wile....pay attention to where you are going and have been...i have been out and had thick fog rolle in head to where i think the horse is staked and walk right into it....one afternoon tied my horse and took after a wounded elk....it ran into a herd of elk that were beded down in thick timber....fllowed the track for quite some distance without any blood sighn....dubbled back criss crossed and found where she left them....jumped her in thick timber couldnt get a shot...any way about 3 miles on over into a differant drainage i got her...by the time i got her gutted it was pitch dark....my pack was hanging on the saddlehorne on my horse tied to a tree since i thought id get that cow in a short distance...i had her tied next to a big spruce tree..... after quite some time going in the right direction i knew i had to be getting close to my horse....after bending over and walking past several spruce trees with low hanging libs i just was walking out from under one when i ran my head into something that moved...bout made me fill my drores...ran right into the side of my horse.....got back to camp 04:00 a little bit tuckerd
...ill take that not lost thing back...once in eastern montana in the flatlands i did have trubble once...but i guess i didnt get lost cuzz im here and nobody found me

cball
02-15-10, 08:25 PM
Those 3 climbers that died out on Mt Hood ,two years ago,might be alive today if they'd had a GPS or a satellite GPS messenger with them..

SlingerDun
02-15-10, 10:15 PM
You might have plenty of time each afternoon to do camp chores and build up cozy beds out of conifer boughs or grass, moss, whatever, because the little ones can't hump all day and most of us don't sleep very long after the sun comes up, out there. 3 days of backpacking could feel like forever to a child, so you will probably find yourself making camp earlier than expected to spare the kid from grind of the trail. It can result in much less tension and the difference between him never wanting to do it again, or an enjoyable outback adventure with dad

--->Dave

montana
02-16-10, 10:43 AM
i would most always let my kid take the lead....let them set the pace.....if steep and rough country i would be behind him /her to help stedy or catch um if they sliped...would take brakes when the were ready and would point out land marks and quiz them as to what direction they thought the truck was ect....keep them some what focused on their where abouts...also amazing what kids will tell you about their problems and thoughts on things and questions.<-----<<< uhhh? better wate till we get home then ask your mother that

jrhd97
02-17-10, 08:29 AM
i would most always let my kid take the lead....let them set the pace.....if steep and rough country i would be behind him /her to help stedy or catch um if they sliped...would take brakes when the were ready and would point out land marks and quiz them as to what direction they thought the truck was ect....keep them some what focused on their where abouts...also amazing what kids will tell you about their problems and thoughts on things and questions.<-----<<< uhhh? better wate till we get home then ask your mother that

That's a wise way to approach this with kids. The one time I took the lead there was nothing but gripe'n and moaning behind me. Let them take the lead and we all have a good time.
They do talk a lot. I learn more about what's going on in my son's life when we are out than I ever will when we are home.

SlingerDun
02-17-10, 08:49 PM
Chicks too, grown or small they all feel the need to be out front on a trail whether afoot or horseback. If i ever meet a female who yields point for no apparent reason other than injury or fatigue?...

SlingerDun
02-27-10, 09:17 PM
This was confusing for a moment:nerd: If i wasn't familiar with the surroundings, or it was dark and didn't have a back up, things could have got interesting out in the bresh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKjjyAt-U8s

perhaps i can ebay the defective unit to somebody south of 0 latitude

montana
02-28-10, 10:23 AM
lol@ slinger....i would of walked north to Mexico
some of my best moments hunting were walking up very steep hills with my wife...her in front....me with my hand on her butt pushing her up the hill.....was hard to concentrate on the hunting though.....but she would slow me down so that i spent more time looking....helpt me to get more game

be safe

echo3oscar1833
04-02-10, 09:23 AM
Decided to revive an old thread of mine, hopefully it will become a sticky someday. So last week I went an purchased a new pack. This thing is sweet, its a Skyline 8.0 frame pack with plastic internal frame. So much nicer than any pack I carried especially better compared to the Alice Frame Packs, and Mollie systems that I used in the Corps. What I like about this is it very modular kinda like a Alice system, with Mollie capabilities. I don't keep much in it, as I don't need alot of gear in the field when I'm camping, or hiking. It has my old military canteen on one side, a can of WD-40 (lifesaver btw) kabar, a few lighters, pens, small camp pillow, my gortex, gloves, bandana, bennie. Plus when I go out I bring a small baggie of laundry lint for fire making, and throw some chow in it. It was really worth the purchase, I got a deal on it, and picked it up for less than $20 :marine:

Quinbo
04-02-10, 10:11 AM
Mind reader or what?

My son and I just finished packing him up for a weekend scouting trip. I still have an old mountain ruck. It is like an alice pack only bigger with more pockets and goes on the ALICE frame. With a little work I'll bet I could get a volkswagon in that thing. No pretty colors or fancy doo dads but works very well for the job at hand.

Wish I had a couple shelter halfs, poles and pins. That would be cool for him to rough it.

echo3oscar1833
04-02-10, 07:54 PM
Mind reader or what?

My son and I just finished packing him up for a weekend scouting trip. I still have an old mountain ruck. It is like an alice pack only bigger with more pockets and goes on the ALICE frame. With a little work I'll bet I could get a volkswagon in that thing. No pretty colors or fancy doo dads but works very well for the job at hand.

Wish I had a couple shelter halfs, poles and pins. That would be cool for him to rough it.

Hell ya nothing better than going on your first roughing it trip. Thats what I love about this pack its pockets out the ying yang. Tell you what though if the Marine Corps gave me one skill that I use daily, that is how to pack a pack tight. Then be able to carry the weight with no problem. :D

echo3oscar1833
04-02-10, 08:42 PM
Update: So I took my new pack, and gear with me out in the field today to do some field, and trash burning. It started to rain, whipped out the gortex I had kept dry by the fire. Best news though the outside of the pack got soaked, but all the insides, and gear stayed dry, and toasty :D

SlingerDun
04-02-10, 08:46 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/jerrymcguire1963/humor/YES.gif

echo3oscar1833
04-02-10, 09:00 PM
Hahaha :D

SlingerDun
04-04-10, 04:28 AM
Near the 45th parallel using the Big Dipper as a clock works pretty good, with regular practice. Good thing to know when standing watch in the field and your G-shock craps out. Though down south in summer time parts of the asterism apparently fall below the horizon, but the sun is on it's way up.

The way i learned it was: the dipper travels counter clockwise at roughly 1/2 speed of an analog 12 hour clock. That's the easy part, then you must remember where the star pointers will be positioned relevant to the clock as the month/s progress. Example: Using March 21st to 22 as a linear midnight reference.

http://astro.unl.edu/classaction/animations/ancientastro/dipperclock.html

Spin the hands and watch it travel through the night sky.

For some reason "N" is printed on the bottom of this chart but the stars are oriented up and north with this 24 hour clock

--->Dave

BR34
04-10-10, 03:53 PM
I'm heading out with my oldest son for our first field op. Gotta be back by tomorrow AM since the wife has him booked for a date to go see some movie called Diary of a Wimpy Kid with some friends.

echo3oscar1833
04-10-10, 03:55 PM
I'm heading out with my oldest son for our first field op. Gotta be back by tomorrow AM since the wife has him booked for a date to go see some movie called Diary of a Wimpy Kid with some friends.

Good luck man, hope your kid enjoys it alot, and you to of course :D

BR34
04-10-10, 03:57 PM
Thanks, Ben. By the way, what do you bring the WD-40 for?

sscjoe
04-10-10, 09:17 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2358&pictureid=10340

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2358&pictureid=10339

echo3oscar1833
04-10-10, 09:41 PM
Thanks, Ben. By the way, what do you bring the WD-40 for?

Lube for knife blades :thumbup::marine:

montana
04-10-10, 11:21 PM
Slinger...maybe that was an Australian vew if the dipper?? or who ever put it up was standing on hims head...

my pack has 4 pockets...the main pcket that also has a waterproof pocket insid it...where my matches , candles , lighters and ziplock bag of pitch...main pocket holds my bugal cowcall , field glasses...ooodles of snack bars, pop , beer ...JD..2 ropes and some nilon corde...1 space blanket, extra socks /gloves.and 1 flair....one side pocket holds 2 hunting knives and a flat steel ....the other side pocket holds bullets tape and compass....my pack has a stong loop on top that fits over my saddlehorne...i also carry an axe...that not also works good for cutting wood ...but also can quarter an Elk in less then 30 minuts....
thats for hunting or just a great ride in the back country...if im going fishing i add real lures and bait to main pocket...i tie the pole case with the pole inside to the saddle...or packhorse....ps never...i repeat ...never forget and leve bait in big pocket upon rturning home from said fishing trip...speshly iffen bait is worms

SlingerDun
04-11-10, 12:13 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2358&pictureid=10340

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2358&pictureid=10339What are we lookin at here, a monocline?

SlingerDun
04-11-10, 12:19 AM
...the wife has him booked for a date to go see some movie called Diary of a Wimpy Kid.....I'd nip that in the bud right now before it becomes acceptable behavior hehe

SlingerDun
04-11-10, 12:39 AM
The Dipper pintin towards Polaris saved me grief more than once. Like one time in Northern Nevada. When i woke up something seemed wrong, so i asked the driver what direction we were headed? she didn't know for sure, i asked her to stop for a pee. Got back in and told her to turn around,

Why?

We've been driving in the wrong direction; that glow down south? that's Winnemucca.

She asked how did that happen?

It just does.

GSEMarine94
04-11-10, 08:49 AM
The Dipper pintin towards Polaris saved me grief more than once. Like one time in Northern Nevada. When i woke up something seemed wrong, so i asked the driver what direction we were headed? she didn't know for sure, i asked her to stop for a pee. Got back in and told her to turn around,

Why?

We've been driving in the wrong direction; that glow down south? that's Winnemucca.

She asked how did that happen?

It just does.

Not much of a glow from that town, lived there for about 8 years.

BR34
04-11-10, 11:14 AM
Just got back a little while ago. Had to pull tick duty and clean up my son. Next time we go-warmer weather!

BR34
04-11-10, 11:15 AM
I'd nip that in the bud right now before it becomes acceptable behavior hehe

Hell man, that means my wife and oldest son will be gone. I'll only have the little one. That's ALMOST having the house to myself. I can't complain. :banana:

sscjoe
04-11-10, 11:15 AM
What are we lookin at here, a monocline?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawangunk_Ridge#Geology

montana
04-11-10, 11:39 AM
the Missions

Zulu 36
04-11-10, 01:43 PM
Just got back a little while ago. Had to pull tick duty and clean up my son. Next time we go-warmer weather!

Did the little fella have a good time? I always loved going camping with my father and brothers.

My #2 daughter just got back from a weekend in the woods helping at a Cub Scout event. She is in the shower right now doing the tick inspection on herself. She can pick her own ticks off.

Weather was perfect for camping here in Florida. Mid 70s and sunny during the day, high 50s at night.

SlingerDun
04-11-10, 03:32 PM
Not much of a glow from that town, lived there for about 8 years.Yep, we had long passed Duferrena's old camp on the Quinn River Ranch and were fixing to descend Paradise Hill. Compared to Denio Junction, where we should have hooked west, The Winnemucca grid shone brillianthttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon3.gif

--->Dave

montana
04-11-10, 03:41 PM
still waiting for camping weather here...not into the snowcave thing anymore...lessen its a survival thingie.
snow is usualy gone enough to get into the high country by July....have walked across a frozen lake the end of Aug up there ....the glaciers will get melted caves in them...walk into one when its 90 out...talke about a real quick cool down...dont take long and that 90 heat feels purdy good.....am putting extra time in on these colts...think ill take them into the Bob this summer...be great expiriance for them...1 son and 1 son-in-law are going...also oldest adopted doughter is thinking hare on wether to go or not...gave her her own horse...a real nice bay gilding walker/quarter that ive had in the mountains sence he was three...real steady horse rides packs....hes a babby sitter
...have to get one wall tent sewed back up ....my 12X14...and one panerd that my son-in-law tore all up somehow when he brought the Elk out he got last fall...helped hin quarter and load it and lad the horses out to the old logging road then left him to go back to camp while i went hunting....he never said a word...i was going threw my tack the other day and loeand behold....sure glad i wasnt going to use it that day

BR34
04-11-10, 04:25 PM
Did the little fella have a good time? I always loved going camping with my father and brothers.

My #2 daughter just got back from a weekend in the woods helping at a Cub Scout event. She is in the shower right now doing the tick inspection on herself. She can pick her own ticks off.

Weather was perfect for camping here in Florida. Mid 70s and sunny during the day, high 50s at night.

He had a great time! I noticed frequent huge smiles on his face throughout the trip. He's already planning our next time.

It's weird, he found 5 ticks, and I had 0. Might have something to do with him crawling around on the ground and what-not. :bunny:

Zulu 36
04-11-10, 05:06 PM
He had a great time! I noticed frequent huge smiles on his face throughout the trip. He's already planning our next time.

It's weird, he found 5 ticks, and I had 0. Might have something to do with him crawling around on the ground and what-not. :bunny:

Excellent! Learning to enjoy the outdoors is important for kids, I think. Now that your son has a little idea of what it's like, he'll have fun planning the next trip. The ticks must like that young fresh blood.

My oldest daughter didn't get much chance because I was working a lot then and she was more under the influence of her girly-girl mom. My two youngest get almost all the outdoors time they want through Scouting, although mom thinks it's not good for #2 daughter (which is one of the reasons they don't get along).

echo3oscar1833
04-11-10, 06:15 PM

Outstanding Man :thumbup:

echo3oscar1833
04-19-10, 03:22 PM
Digging up my thread again, anyone have any new expeditions they've done recently. Nothing new myself, looking at maybe some local outdooring this weekend, in a local timeber :marine:

SlingerDun
04-19-10, 03:43 PM
Thursday or Friday because it's suppose to be partly clear and i don't like busting my hump for no rewarding views... http://www.nwhiker.com/SaddleMtHikes.html 3200ft butte on the right is known as the 'cantle' and has a trail that forks that-away but appears to fizzle out after awhile, usually means the path is tough but there's almost always sign that others have gone further. I'll have a go at it, less traffic.

--->Dave

echo3oscar1833
04-19-10, 03:46 PM
Thursday or Friday because it's suppose to be partly clear and i don't like busting my hump for no rewarding views... http://www.nwhiker.com/SaddleMtHikes.html 3200ft butte on the right is known as the 'cantle' and has a trail that forks that-away but appears to fizzle out after awhile, usually means the path is tough but there's almost always sign that others have gone further. I'll have a go at it, less traffic.

--->Dave

Agree I hate going on an outing, and having a crap view. If your gonna go, go to some place nice. Like the stomping ground I'm going to, its local, but its got some good views. :marine:

SlingerDun
04-19-10, 03:54 PM
Stomping Ground? how about a map

echo3oscar1833
04-19-10, 05:49 PM
Stomping Ground? how about a map

Don't need a map in this area, I know it like the back of my hand :marine:

SlingerDun
04-19-10, 07:02 PM
Don't need a map in this area, I know it like the back of my hand :marine:how about the rest of us

echo3oscar1833
04-19-10, 07:19 PM
how about the rest of us

haha lol my bad, didn't catch on that you were looking for a map. I don't have a topo map of this area im going, sorry man :marine: Here is a google map image its about 20min from where I live. Its a bluff area off the mississipii river.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1350+E+2050+N+Illinois&sll=40.92715,-90.881825&sspn=0.030933,0.054846&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=2050+N,+Rozetta,+Henderson,+Illinois&t=h&z=14
<SMALL></SMALL>

montana
04-19-10, 08:24 PM
i have a horse first aid kit...with just a few extras added to it...like bandaids....suprise you how many horse remadys work on us...purple dust to stop/slow bleeding....scarletoil...disenfects and keeps bugs away and disenfectent salves...and verius wraps
i also have quite a few small one battery flashlights...they dont weigh much or take up much room ...and beat the daylights out of fumbling around in the dark.

old saddle makers trick....if the leather boots are a little tight....fill um with water...set um in a pan and put them in the freezer over night....let um though out and dry.....have don it more then once to a cupple boots...till they fit just right.....an old feller told a young buckaroo...to fill his boots with wheat and water and set them by the stove.....next morning the boots were blowed out....poor kid...the old fart shoulda been thumped a little...destroyed the kids new boots...wernt cheep ones eather....

montana
04-19-10, 08:40 PM
some purdy country Slinger....and the trails look like hiyways compared to some here on the rez....but the Bob has some good trails....

montana
04-19-10, 08:48 PM
a few more i have to look at

SlingerDun
04-20-10, 06:17 PM
....old saddle makers trick....if the leather boots are a little tight....fill um with water...set um in a pan and put them in the freezer over night....let um though out and dryDon't know how much if any they will expand being surrounded in ice and it's too late to chop them out, but at least they won't contract, i don't think :nerd: They directly started leaking so i went ahead and topped em off, i'll wait until it's a solid block before thawing.

After a little youtubing... maybe i should have just lined the boots with a couple of plastic bread bagshttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon3.gif

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/128/l_3590d27c4de54c2d8e6a816f79cafedb.jpg

montana
04-20-10, 08:11 PM
lol @ slinger....should still work....had one pare that just wouldnt fit rite....they were leakers also....the freezing did the job....ummmm one trick is to uhhh...greas um afore ya fills um full of the liquit....

SlingerDun
04-20-10, 11:08 PM
They're only half leather and that's waxed, the rest is only waterproof as gore-tex®...they're freezing up good and solid now, think i heard popping sounds coming from the kitchen...

montana
04-21-10, 05:48 AM
lmao....interesting Slinger
can hear the wolves howling up behind the house as i typ...dog are doing their best to sound like them......some brite U students that are studding wolves has found out that elk act differant when humans hunt them then when wolves hunt them...when humans hunt them they tend to move to lands/parks where humans cant hunt them...but do not do so when wolves are around....BIG DUH....maybe its because the wolves also hunt them in the land/parks where man is unable to hunt them...so maybet it just dont matter where they are

SlingerDun
04-23-10, 01:55 AM
Decided to picnic that butte on the far right, above the tree line and all of about 25ft lower in elevation than the very popular "El Capitan" looking mutha on the far left. The trail forking right was marginal, then tangled in bresh....and no trail at all. So i figured on fewer tourists, and there were none sittin on the cantle....
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/116/l_7e00b96d6ba643759c23e8d3dec703a0.jpg
N 45° 57 '37. 5"
W 123° 42' 09. 3"

Vigorous hump, plenty of scrambling and bushwhacking. The weather turned about 6 or 8 times up high, no complaints. Except, for a mistake. I almost always tighten up my boots before descending steep country so of course one of the few times time i did not, after only 50ft off summit, slipped and buggered on a root system. Turned my right foot back towards the summit, youch%!#0&#)*!
Lucky i guess, because the weight bearing pain was tolerable and i had a bottle of ibuprofen and adjustable walking stick:marine:
Lateral view from the top, 12 miles west to the Pacific Ocean....
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/138/l_1598f79380f54bb18cef1554f62f21e2.jpg
N 45° 57' 53. 0"
W 123° 40' 30. 0"

Position Format~ hddd°mm'ss."

montana
04-23-10, 09:49 AM
ouch Brother
hope the ancle be not to bad
a few years back i took a green horse back into the north fork placid creek ...then up on the top of a ridge that seperates the north fork and middle forks of the jocko...high steep country....i wore walking boots and like you i didnt snug them up....went to leading the green one down out of the steep country....by the time i got to the bottum i could feet the ends of my big toes not what you would call feeling comfertable....a few days later my big toenails started to turn black...then fell off...guess they arent desined to beat aginst the toe of a boot....i snug um up real reguler now days

redman1
04-23-10, 01:31 PM
Wow Slinger and Montana I don't know how I missed this thread all this time.
Slinger good pictures thanks for sharing
Since I don't get to ride anymore I just like doing things on my tractor and enjoy being outside. Hopefully I get to do more riding soon and I'll post pictures.
Semper Fi Redman

SlingerDun
04-24-10, 01:01 AM
Rolling an ankle or a knee out there in the weeds where the owls roost and a long way from transportation has been on my mind for years, usually cached somewhere in the back and liken to working alone and gettin wrecked by a horse.

It's not if, but when it will happen.

And when it's time for new hikers, i'll be looking for soles that are not so aggressive and rigid as to out-perform what the boot has to offer in ankle support. And if the rubber doesn't happen to hold up like the classic 10,000 mile Vibram® waffle stomper... then they're just gonna have to wear out:cool:
Next walking stick(s) i buy will have a handle instead of a knob, something a guy can grip and bear down on like a functional cane, hook onto limbs and stickers to push them aside or pull my ass up a muddy contour, steady binoculars, whack a nippy cur on the snout etc...

--->Dave

redman1
04-24-10, 08:44 AM
Slinger I agree about the walking stick when I met my wife she almost walked my legs of hiking on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Those were the days. Got tired of hiking and bought her a horse.
Semper Fi Redman

montana
04-24-10, 12:07 PM
one time way back in the hills when i was a young sprout...and had about as much brain power as you coud fit in the thimble....i was beboppin around barefooted....left the boots at home....feet used to get about the same tuff as cowhide leather....i was goofing off and managed to break my little toe.....now up to that point i never even gave thet little didget a second thought.....that was one of the moste painfull walks ive ever been on....getting out of the woods....that dam toe bumped everything that could be bumped and just plane got in the way every step.....it did bring my way of thinking about trips up in the mountains around to reality though

redman1
04-24-10, 12:13 PM
Montana sounds like that little toe went wee wee all the way back home
Semper Fi Redman

redman1
04-24-10, 12:18 PM
Well its time again to mow the yard. Its funny how women can't seem to get the mowers started and I go out and one pull on the push mower and it cranks. Charged the battery on the riding mower and...

SlingerDun
04-25-10, 01:25 AM
Rube Long's folks Homesteaded a place at Ft Rock, Oregon. The spread included the namesake rock. In Jackman and Long's book "The Oregon Desert" Rube was given credit for guiding an archaeologist and his crew on excavation of the rock. They found 75 pair of sage bark sandals laid out under the dust in a cave that radio-carbon dated the woven plant material at 10,500 - 9,300 years.

It's testimony to tender feet no matter how tough the hombre, because a biped just can't travel barefoot very far in that country without pulling up lame. The cave at some point was obviously home to a cobbler and we could speculate that customers probably journeyed to the store for fitting and purchase because other shoeing shops were scattered through out the Great Basin and "locals" traveled far to secure victuals, some of the sandal caches were located near roads used today.

It could have easily taken at least a day's work to cobble one pair, so why were they abandoned? The mystery remains.....

montana
04-25-10, 06:59 AM
maybe....just maybe...the cobbler lost track of sales and just over stoked.....
thinking about wee wee all the way home....
when we would drive cattle off of the spring pasture to the home place to brand ...there were several roads and lanes that we would have to sit a horse in to make sure the cattle would take the rite route.....woid be a cupple tow or three riding point and the same riding drag....then when we would come to the road crossing a cupple at point would ride to eather side and block travel down the rong road....as they were getting closer to the rear of the herd then a cupple of the drag riders would start moveing up eathe side of the herd tpwards the front to take their place and the two that were on the side road would fall back in behind and work the drag....give everyone a chance to get out of the dust and road spattering
as i was working my way up to the front this ol caw swung her head around and her horne cought me in the shin....i couldnt even keep my foot in the sterup....it hurt so bad....just sorta let it flop there...took pertnear half an hour before i could put it back in.....moral of story i guess is steer clear of horny cows
be safe good people

SlingerDun
04-26-10, 12:06 AM
Overstocked on sandals, hhmmm and then the maker died? You'd think the spouse and kids would have held a cave sale or something

SlingerDun
08-13-10, 05:16 PM
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/67/l_12a74b10b56b4ac5931e2ea803f80576.jpg

"Archaeologists have three basic theories regarding the Indian Pits. One is that the pits were built by young Native Americans who traveled to the mountain for their guardian spirit quest. Seeking a spiritual vision, they would fast and sit isolated in the pits for days.
Another theory is that the pits were used as hunting blinds. Until the 20th century, the Silver Star area was home to mountain sheep and mountain goats. Both of these species used talus slopes to escape natural predators such as cougars or wolves. Native American hunters may have hidden in the pits waiting to ambush sheep or goats forced uphill by other hunters located in the brush and timber below.
The third theory is that the pits were used as food caches, or food storage areas. These types of features are commonly found throughout the Columbia River Gorge" ~Gifford Pinchot National Forest.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/116/l_ab0bfa91e83a4501bf62be8f6a1c5bf5.jpg

N 45° 44' 13. 3"
W 122° 14' 11. 3"
Position Format~ hddd°mm'ss."<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Whatever the purpose: it looks like they've been undisturbed for a long time if patina and lichen formation means anything, but they're not very comfortable for taking a nap after a tough uphill ridge-line hump. The pits pretty much line up north - south and the best view is east. If you can get cozy they block the wind out pretty well, which is about the only distraction on that finger unless it's raining or snowing; so maybe they were used for "vision questing"

I don't believe the food dugout theory, the area is just too remote and on the way to nowhere. It's hard to get there from any approach and the bears would likely scatter whatever was used as a lid.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/122/l_fdb5f56fdd124a6fb0b580c5c8433e6d.jpg

NoRemorse
08-24-10, 03:22 PM
Got friends that like going canoeing, kayaking and rafting. After pounding tent states and other incidentals into rocky soil I think I'd like to pick up a pick axe.

Anyone recommend one in particular or am I going to be humping a full size?

Zulu 36
08-24-10, 04:13 PM
Got friends that like going canoeing, kayaking and rafting. After pounding tent states and other incidentals into rocky soil I think I'd like to pick up a pick axe.

Anyone recommend one in particular or am I going to be humping a full size?

Have you checked the outdoors places, like Gander?

I'm guessing you want to use it as a pry tool to get the tent stakes out? Depending on the soil, you might need a full sized one just for the torque you need to put on it.

We did some camping with Cub Scouts and we ended up having to use a truck floor jack and some nylon strapping to pull the stakes (luckily one guy had a jack in his tool box). Worked fine, but rather impractical for hiking.

SlingerDun
08-24-10, 06:29 PM
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/slingerdun/hatchet027.jpg?t=1282692432

WEAK

SlingerDun
08-24-10, 06:43 PM
Forged not casted and i think it was about $7 at the pawn shop, without sheath.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/slingerdun/hatchet026.jpg?t=1282692730

yes that's a 1930 something buff nickel on an air hockey table

NoRemorse
08-25-10, 09:47 AM
Have you checked the outdoors places, like Gander?

I'm guessing you want to use it as a pry tool to get the tent stakes out? Depending on the soil, you might need a full sized one just for the torque you need to put on it.

We did some camping with Cub Scouts and we ended up having to use a truck floor jack and some nylon strapping to pull the stakes (luckily one guy had a jack in his tool box). Worked fine, but rather impractical for hiking.

Among other things had some other things that needed to be driven into the rocky soil because of these gear heads.

Skulls just being a few of those things. I think I'll just have to wear a full-sized; probably have to invest in a new shovel too. Slit trench takes care of what sub-standard camping facilities can't.

And 40+ pounds of easy-up versus 120 sq/ft of rain tarp with cord and guy wires; no friggen contest. If you can't hump it; dump it. applies to so many things.

SlingerDun
03-24-11, 08:23 PM
http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/products/images/large/waterseal-clear-multi-surface-waterproofer-spray.jpg (http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/products/product_detail.cfm?prod_id=31)

The 'original' recipe for hard surface has been used for decades on canvas and cowboy hats, chaps, boots, nauga, you name it

http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/products/images/large/waterseal-sport-seal-leather-fabric.jpg (http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/products/product_detail.cfm?prod_id=10)

This stuff is better, lays Scotchguard and Campdry to waste and smells less caustic/more human friendly than other Waterseal products

montana
03-25-11, 05:46 AM
as a kid i used to just pack a small hatchet.and my old 308..made leantos out of bowes..slept with an old mummybag on hard ground and ate what i could pack or scrounge...now days i let the horses pack all the comforts of home tent tarp beds carpet for the floor stove lanterns and large quantities of food...and some pellets for the horses... life is soooo much easyer after the work is done...... packing un packing setting up camp takin care of the horses.....have to stay a week to rest up enough to do it all over again and move out
be safe good people

EGTSpec
03-27-11, 07:24 PM
http://c0389161.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/dyn/str_strip/168093.full.gif (http://comics.com/thats_life/2011-03-27/)