PDA

View Full Version : vacation

joshbenson21
12-26-09, 07:57 PM
Hello Marines,
Im just wondering on how do you get to pick ur vacation days. Because my mom keeps bugging me about how i have to come home for the holidays next year and i tell her ill try but i honestly dont know if i will be able to or not so any help is much appreciated

ecfree
12-26-09, 08:01 PM
JOSH,the best person to ask about that is your recruiter...
He will help you...........

sparkie
12-26-09, 08:03 PM
Put in for it ASAP,,,,,, Up to your unit. You don't belong to you anymore. Or your mother. Besides,,, you ain't there yet. Might spent a lot o years in your mothers basement.

Lisa 23
12-26-09, 08:14 PM
I'm not trying to come across like a smart a$$, but you should let your mom know that you should focus more on getting through boot camp, MCT/SOI training and your MOS school first.
If you don't make it through boot camp, you won't have to worry about putting in for leave. And it's not up to your mom anymore when and if you become a Marine on when she wants you home for the holidays, that will be up to the Marine Corps.

Phantom Blooper
12-26-09, 08:20 PM
A Marine gets 30 days of leave a year.

You will get leave after you complete a successful boot camp.

When you complete SOI,MCT and your MOS and go to the fleet or the air wing your leave will be determined by what and where your unit is doing and where they have to be.

Normally before you leave on a deployment you will get leave time depending on when the unit is leaving....this is called block leave for the whole unit...some opted not to take leave and was granted 72 or 96 hour passes to take care of business.

Depending on what is going on in the units schedule determines whether or not you get the holiday leave.....and if you have the leave on the books.

Even though you earn 2.5 days of leave a month...leave is not guaranteed and set in stone.....again it is up to the unit commanders discretion.

If you have a major training operation fixing to take place you will not get leave.

The process is you REQUEST a leave chit....fill it out and submit it through your chain of command and if everyone signs off on it you get to go on leave.

Leave is also subject to recall...you have to leave a good # and address of where you will be in case of a recall or emergency... you will be called by your command and have to return.

So to be upfront and blunt....you will not know until you get to your command and are aware of the training schedule and cycle to determine whether or not you will have leave for the year end holidays.

You may be celebrating the Christmas holidays in a foreign land or you may have to stand some type of duty on Christmas day......the life of a Marine.:evilgrin:

sparkie
12-26-09, 08:24 PM
Spent 2 outta 4 away,,,,,,,,,, OOHRA.

Phantom Blooper
12-26-09, 08:34 PM
7 out of sixteen.....Duty NCO on one and Staff Duty NCO on one.

Really no BIG deal...another illustrious day in the Marine Corps...if it wasn't spent with home and hearth family it was spent with Marine Corps family....and one thing for certain...Santa Claus always came and he was always skinny.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
12-26-09, 10:05 PM
[quote=joshbenson21;585904]Hello Marines,
Im just wondering on how do you get to pick ur vacation days. Because my mom keeps bugging me about how i have to come home for the holidays next year and i tell her ill try but i honestly dont know if i will be able to or not so any help is much appreciated[/quoYou probably won't get vacation when you want that is for the army anyway, Marines take leave, hell who knows you could be on mess duty, guard duty or fighting the ragheads, earn our title first.:flag:

mincj
12-26-09, 10:24 PM
Duty..The most depressing thing ever. Oh, the beauty of defending freedom.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-26-09, 11:19 PM
LOL. Oh yeah. Spent Christmas of '82 in ITS....83, 84 was home. 85 I was in the Philippines. 86, home. 87,home. 88, home to get married. (Which I still am LOL). 97, Prepping to leave for 29 Palms, 98, Greece, 99, duty in preparation for 'y2k' (Duty on New years as well..fun being on the 'y2k task force..pffffffffft'). 00, home. 01, out.

Not counting all the "On duty" time as a cop, dispatcher, etc etc.

It's whatever you make of it. Mom will have to realize it's not a civilian job and you don't, as a Junior Marine, get to MAKE those 'choices'. They are made for you.

dizark
12-27-09, 12:12 AM
My unit is on our Pre-Deployment block leave. We've been off since the 19th, and have to be back on the 9th. Note: You have to use your own leave days for these block leaves... it's not just given to you. You have the option to take leave from your leave account (up to 10 days in the negative can be authorized by your command), or not take leave.

Quinbo
12-27-09, 12:48 AM
The Lcpl underground has a policy on block leave. Don't take it. Everyone else is out spending their cash on over priced plane tickets to go home and eat moms home made apple pie. You on the other hand are doing the daily routine of .... formation Libbo, formation libbo, duty, formation libbo. You might get nailed with a police call or something now and then and have to play basketball for PT.

Taking leave outside of the block leave parimeters and you will more than likely be able to request larger chunks, pay lower prices on plane tickets etc.

Celebrate Christmas in October or February.

hussaf
12-27-09, 02:01 AM
Duty..The most depressing thing ever. Oh, the beauty of defending freedom.

So, if you don't happen to be away from base during a holiday, do yourself a favor and don't answer anyone knocking at the barracks door at like 8am (especially if the knocking has been slowly progressing toward your room). If you do answer the door, and your 21, make sure you have a bottle of Jack Daniels in your hand. Trust me.