PDA

View Full Version : To Recruit Or Not To Recruit

glenpmo
12-26-09, 01:26 PM
CAREER RECRUITER1?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Ladies and Gents,

I have a dilema on my hands, and would like some advice, i was a recruiter for 4 years and i have all the awards and titles ( principie, Centurion, ect...) and i was a SNCOIC for 1 year of the 4, and lead my team to great success. Im not on here to bragg, but to ask some serious advice, I have been having dreams lately of being a recruiter again, and going back to be an 8412 (Career recruiter) alot recently. I left the recruiting field about 7 months ago, and my original MOS is MP, and it looks like we are about to phased out, and become a civilian incoorperated field, so where do i go, since i have about 9 years left until i am eligable to retire, and the MOS should be phased out by then. Obviously there are the ups and downs of Recruiting, and i just need to know if this is just a phase i am going through and it will pass, or maybe i should really reconsider going back on the streets.

any advice will help, thank you Very much

SSgt.:iwo:

echo3oscar1833
12-26-09, 01:44 PM

Ladies and Gents,

I have a dilema on my hands, and would like some advice, i was a recruiter for 4 years and i have all the awards and titles ( principie, Centurion, ect...) and i was a SNCOIC for 1 year of the 4, and lead my team to great success. Im not on here to bragg, but to ask some serious advice, I have been having dreams lately of being a recruiter again, and going back to be an 8412 (Career recruiter) alot recently. I left the recruiting field about 7 months ago, and my original MOS is MP, and it looks like we are about to phased out, and become a civilian incoorperated field, so where do i go, since i have about 9 years left until i am eligable to retire, and the MOS should be phased out by then. Obviously there are the ups and downs of Recruiting, and i just need to know if this is just a phase i am going through and it will pass, or maybe i should really reconsider going back on the streets.

SSgt.:iwo:

SSgt I say go for it, if its something where good at, and enjoy it. I would tend to believe that recruiting is something that won't go away to the Civilian Sector for a long time. I know that the Marine Corps has formed its own Civilian Police Force to help with Base Security, and such. So I could definatly see your fears in your MOS fading out over the next few years. Hope this helps, Semper!!:marine:

glenpmo
12-26-09, 01:54 PM
" I say go for it, if its something where good at, and enjoy it". Good point oscar, another dilema in that is, just cause your good at something doesnt always mean your going to want to do it for all time if your unsure if that job makes you truley happy. Since recruiting has such highs and lows its hard to say differenciate wether or not the highs out way the lows.:beer:

Sally
12-26-09, 01:57 PM
I don't have enough experience to say anything but do what your heart tells ya.

glenpmo
12-26-09, 02:03 PM
I don't have enough experience to say anything but do what your heart tells ya.

Any advice on how to listen to my heart when it tells me to do both... lol, this is so frustrating to me.

Apache
12-26-09, 02:41 PM
Another aproach may be to stay where you are and network.
When the neesicity is there you will have the conncetions to make a move.

SGT7477
12-26-09, 03:03 PM

Ladies and Gents,

SSgt.:iwo:How about being a DI to fill your career? Semper Fidelis:flag:

Vandrel
12-26-09, 03:09 PM
Another aproach may be to stay where you are and network.
When the neesicity is there you will have the conncetions to make a move.

I'd say that's the best move right there. Networking will be there for you whenever you need it.

Most guys I've worked with had their second thoughts about going back for 8412. It's a pretty common thing I've noticed whenever they are still in the 1 year gap of returning from the street. A few guys I knew wanted to go back because they didn't like their MOS or didn't fit in where they ended up, I'd say I've seen very few going back lately due to deployments and T/O requirements. Being a MP I don't think you'll run into any issues going back.

On the other side of the house here is some food for thought for you,

If MP's are getting phased out as you've heard then why not stick around and wait it out? If you are planning to retire in 9 years at 20 TIS then might as well look into moving over to the GS/Civilian DoD Police side. I know the GS guys here at Lejeune generally jump right in at GS6 unless they are retired with lots of experience then they'll start out at GS7 or higher depending.

Why go GS? At 20 TIS retired you can keep those years and do a short period on the GS side and get your full 30.

ARTYPIG
12-26-09, 03:10 PM
Well I had a Staff Sergeant who recruited me in 87. By the time I was a Corporal 2 1/2 years later he was a Master Sergeant. Couple years later he was a Master Gunnery Sergeant and retired at that rank and he chose to be a Career Recruiter. He also used that time to network and got great job after retirement. If you are worried about being phased out, go for it because if I remember right, it is hard to get promoted in the 5800 field. Semper Fi!!

Artillery Swine

Sgt Leprechaun
12-26-09, 06:25 PM
I'd think that it would be longer than 9 years until the "MP" MOS is being 'phased out', but I'm not sure about that. A friend of mine is one of the civilian trainers at PISC for their police force. I'll ask him next time I talk with him.

Hard choice though.

Isrowei
12-26-09, 06:43 PM
HOnestly I can't see MP's going away. Even if every base was turned over to contract cops, the whole mission scope of military police encompasses far more. I don't think you have anything to worry about being phased out.

Vandrel
12-27-09, 01:55 AM
Hell, I remember when I came in they were talking about phasing out cooks. I think they would dump the band MOS before MP's.

echo3oscar1833
12-27-09, 02:04 AM
" I say go for it, if its something where good at, and enjoy it". Good point oscar, another dilema in that is, just cause your good at something doesnt always mean your going to want to do it for all time if your unsure if that job makes you truley happy. Since recruiting has such highs and lows its hard to say differenciate wether or not the highs out way the lows.:beer:

You make a good point on highs and lows SSgt, on that note, and I'm not persauding you by any means. However you have to ask yourself four questions if your going to stay in the Corps.

1. Do You Love Being a Recruiter?
2. Do You Love Being a MP?
3. Should I maybe try a different MOS altogether, and shake things up?
4. Which one of these would be the best decision for me?

Good Luck SSgt. :beer::marine:

StoneTheWeak
12-27-09, 02:22 AM
Might as well, being in an MOS that is being phased out is ****ty. (46 Avionics Tech) <br />
<br />
I'm not big on recruiters, but it'll beat being in charge of an MOS they're getting rid of. Which btw I think...

Vandrel
12-27-09, 05:39 AM
90% of all DoD police are prior/retired military. There's a lot of old 1stSgt's and Gunny's running around lejeune as a GS with PMO now. It's all about that job security in retirement, might as well try and make the most money you can on top of a retirement paycheck and whatever else you can draw.

Phantom Blooper
12-27-09, 05:57 AM
Stay an MP....and when Marines screwup...give them the alternative of being busted....or enlisting for four more years...problem solved.:evilgrin:

glenpmo
12-27-09, 09:12 AM
AWSOME advice and i knew i could count on my brothers and sisters to help me think this through, and maybe i am jumping the gun a bit, and should wait it out, since i am the SRT commander right now, which i love, there is 7 GS employee slots opening up for my team, not to excited about that since a Marine was getting his ass chewed by his Cpl the other day and the Cpl got in trouble cause a civilian said seeing that made it a harsh work enviornment for him and made a EO and union complaint, now tell me the Marine corps aspect isnt being taken out of my MOS when a Marine cant "Counsel" his junior Marine in fear of a union complaint... anyway, i think i will wait it out for another year or so and see where it goes... keep the replys coming it is helping alot.

KILL!!!

Vandrel
12-27-09, 12:25 PM
a civilian said seeing that made it a harsh work enviornment for him and made a EO and union complaint

My first week on the job I got a full taste of civilian EO and sexual harassment policies involving a female coworker and few male coworkers. Needless to say I was still on terminal leave at that time and it was very very awkward since everyone was prior military. It wasn't regarding any actions from me but just having to sit through that stuff and have it going on in the workspace was weird enough coming from a all male MOS after 9 years.

All I can say to that is whoever that GS was he probably was a little ***** homo or obviously wasn't ever a Marine. Most of the prior military guys I have worked with over the years were good to go and still upheld traditional "look after eachother" mentality. The work relation between all of us contractors/GS and the Marines that support us is pretty good, don't have to worry about what you say and for the most part it's just regular stuff as if we're all still in (to a extent lol). But each place is different and carries it's own little drama show.

Marine84
12-27-09, 05:47 PM
that's funny as hell.................a "harsh work environment".

Ingle
12-27-09, 09:30 PM
AWSOME advice and i knew i could count on my brothers and sisters to help me think this through, and maybe i am jumping the gun a bit, and should wait it out, since i am the SRT commander right now, which i love, there is 7 GS employee slots opening up for my team, not to excited about that since a Marine was getting his ass chewed by his Cpl the other day and the Cpl got in trouble cause a civilian said seeing that made it a harsh work enviornment for him and made a EO and union complaint, now tell me the Marine corps aspect isnt being taken out of my MOS when a Marine cant "Counsel" his junior Marine in fear of a union complaint... anyway, i think i will wait it out for another year or so and see where it goes... keep the replys coming it is helping alot.

KILL!!!

Good Evening SSgt, I am PMO MIlitary POlice over at Marine Corps Air Station New River, I to am wanting to go career recruiter if I stay in however right now I really am pushing myself to get into SRT. With this MOS i Believe from my little experience that things will get better for us. I am about to pick up CPL hopefully within the next 6 months and will hopefully be able to walk onto Camp Lejeune SRT with passing the indoc of course and have a sucessful career until i decide whether im going to reenlist and go recruiter or just get out.

Best of luck to you as it is a decision to make.

Vandrel
12-27-09, 10:56 PM
I am PMO MIlitary POlice over at Marine Corps Air Station New River

If you see a silver R33 Skyline driving around over there, don't pull me over :D

Ingle
12-28-09, 01:45 AM
If you see a silver R33 Skyline driving around over there, don't pull me over :D

I problably would just to look at your car, I had a MKIV Supra and now im rocking a CRX, there are some decent cars on here including a rhd supra and some nice 240sx's..

sorry that was offf topic.

I am usually the main unit on NR on nights,

HST
12-28-09, 02:15 PM
Go for the recruiter: no one likes MP'S except other MP's and I'm not very sure about that. A lot of people like recruiters, even new recruits, at least until they get to those yellow footprints. Seriously, I've read that the Corps is the only combat, life in the field, branch thats making their quota. I've read that we're turning them away, thats a real good deal for a recruiter.