PDA

View Full Version : For the older Marines

leobold1
08-23-03, 07:05 PM
How much has Marine Corps equipment changed since you came in? In my time, I've seen the Osprey (and it may get to the fleet yet), the Molle pack (and seen it go the way of the dodo), and new MRE's (good eatin there).

I won't go into the new attitudes I've seen in 7 years, and I hope you won't either. I'm sure this site doesn't have that much room.

garryh123
08-23-03, 07:17 PM
1981 thru 1985- F4-Phamtom plane captain(crew chief).
Worked with F-4N,J & S. VMFAT-323 AND VMFAT-101.
Never got to eat any MRE's- they just sent us cold chicken and hard boiled at the flightline!

garryh123
08-23-03, 07:18 PM
Hard boiled eggs that is! OOPS!

thedrifter
08-23-03, 07:23 PM
We still had the 782 Field Gear, were changing over to the Alice system. Still had C-Rats, M-16A1, Gamma-Goat Trucks, MAR-83 Radio Jeeps, TRAC-75 was the main radio still in use, along with PRC-75 Radios. M-79 Gernade Launcher was still around. Probably a lot more but cannot recall any more at this time.........LOL

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Joyce
08-23-03, 10:37 PM
I saw the Gama Goat leave, the MRE's get introduced, the M880's drive up, and the M16A2. Matter of fact we (perm per) at Camp Geiger were the only ones at the rifle range with the M16A2's. Everyone else had the A1's still. We caused a lot of heads to turn in the spring of 1986. I didn't get to drive the new Hummer.

greybeard
08-24-03, 01:22 AM
M-14 went & m-16 came in. 782 was there when I left, along with alice pack. Phantoms were still the hot thing in the air. A-6's A-4's still going strong. I saw the very 1st Cobra squadron move in next door(Scarface HMA367) M-60 tanks, M-60 MG's. Grease guns, m-79's, and of course, C-rats. The only innovation I really saw, were the cobras and the switch from 14's to 16's. Soft covers that ya had to starch were std issue. Corfams were not. Jungle boots & cammies weren't allowed in conus, or at least not that I ever saw. The only cammies I knew of was jungle. No, I'm not Old Corps, not even close. Just old. But there's some here older (& wiser) than me.

Lock-n-Load
08-24-03, 07:56 AM
:marine:Some of us in Korea had scrounged WW2 cammies from Marines rotating to CONUS...weapons and gear were conventional WW2 nomenclature...Regimental Anti-Tank Companies [5 Tanks and 75mm Recoiless Rifle teams]were survyed by the...ONTOS armored vehicle in late 1950s...in 1952 the classic WW1 100% woolen overcoat was survyed with the introduction of the shiny nylon raincoat [very popular]...WW2/Korea boondockers were survyed by the black jack-boots in 1954....just like the mystery of life...one must adapt to...change. S/F:marine:

leroy8541
08-24-03, 09:38 AM
I saw the gamma goats go, the jeep go,the hummer came in the deuce and a half gone, the five ton in, tha A-1's gone, the A-2's and SAW's in, C-rats out,MRES in,white T's out, green ones in rank on the cover then off again,V-neck T's came and went. LAW rockets replaced by the SMAW and the DRAGON. The boots changed a couple of times, the matierial in the cammies from cotton to rip stop popplins.( I would love to have a pair of the new ones)Swagger sticks gone.

greybeard
08-24-03, 09:59 AM
Guess this is a good place to say it.
One thing hasn't changed. A Marine is still the meanest sob on the block.

Lock-n-Load
08-24-03, 11:40 AM
:marine:You are right on target, Marine...thank our lucky stars...that will...Never...change!! :marine:

thedrifter
08-24-03, 11:54 AM
We had the F-8 Crusaders and a vehicle called the Mighty Mite that replaced the old jeeps, than the Ford Jeeps replaced the Mighty Mite(was made by American Motors)..............LOL
Than we also had the Ontos(tank killer)...........

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

badbob
08-25-03, 08:24 AM
How about the Herringbone Utilities with the brass buttons? When I cam in, in 1964, they were no longer issue but they were still authorized, and anyone who could get their hands on a set was wearing them.

I still miss the M-14

Semper Fi,
Bob

Lock-n-Load
08-25-03, 08:32 AM
:marine: Right on target, badbob...I don't know what they were made of, but they wore like iron and after several washings in salt water they had a slight...whiteish [sp] look...that made you a...salty looking bastard!! S/F :marine:

Jim Reynolds
08-25-03, 08:52 AM
782 gear, bucket issue , knapsack& haversack, shelterhalf and tent pegs, greens, trops, and those impossible to keep squared away khakis. Wide ties, skinny ties, and back to wide ties

lurchenstein
08-26-03, 01:43 AM
I remember the Mule, M151 Jeep, 1st generation AV-8 Harrier, A-4 Skyhawk, PRC-25 & PRC-77 radio sets, RT-524 & RT-246 radio sets, TSC-15 radio shelter, TA-1 phone (field-expedient cattle prod for...