PDA

View Full Version : Would the fact that I'm an Atheist cause me to be treated differently?

KobraWun
12-23-09, 01:17 AM
Personally, I don't in believe God, for numerous reasons that I will not take time explaining. I've been told millions of things by people like "Marines are all a bunch of religious fanatics, If they knew you were an Atheist, they would murder you." and "They like killing people of other religions." Things of that nature.

Anyway, me being an Atheist, would I really be shunned simply because I didn't believe in God? Are there other Atheists in the Marine Corps?

dhenderson88
12-23-09, 04:39 AM
Wow, I don't know who told you that because that is far from the truth. I known WAY more atheists than I do religious Marines and we don't kill people because they're another religion we kill people because they try to kill us and they happen to be another religion.

BR34
12-23-09, 06:22 AM
Yes you will be shunned. Keep your religion and your politics to yourself.

Hotel4341
12-23-09, 07:08 AM
All it means is that you'll be sitting around the squad bay on Sundays at boot camp. You won't be the only one either (my services were Fridays). There were times where nearly half of my platoon didn't go to services.

That being said, if you're an atheist who straight up hates any reference to G-d, you may take issue that just about every ceremony you are lead in prayer by a chaplain (usually Protestant). For those, you're expected to at least bow your head in respect. Not that it should dissuade you, just giving you a heads up.

NoRemorse
12-23-09, 07:28 AM
Don't be a militant atheist.

You can still see the chaplain if you have any issues, you aren't required to attend service but it's a good chance to bond with your future brothers.

You'll learn that the Corps is a religion unto itself where Chesty is held in the highest regard, wisdom is sought from Archibald Henderson and men that wear bursting bombs are heralded as demi-gods placed on Earth to be the baddest men around.

And like the Cpl said, keep your trash to yourself; it's your business.

hussaf
12-23-09, 09:06 AM
Most Marines don't like extremists..so if you don't make a big deal out of something, it won't be a big deal. From what you said, I am worried about the kind of people you hang out with, as the people you associate with reflects on you personally. "They like killing people of other religions." What is "other religions" that us Marines like to kill? that's pretty vague considering there are many different religions in the Marine Corps. I've served with Buddhists, atheists, pretty much all forms of Christianity, Muslims, Jews, Mormons, Toaists, agnostics, Wiccans, Satanists, and Vodun...please take into account that I haven't talked about religion to the majority of guys I've worked with.

In bootcamp you can go to Taoist, Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, Mormon, Islamic, and many other religious services. You will get a big long list of them when you get there (not that it matters to you). Most Marines stop going to religious services after bootcamp anyway.

For various reasons (including atheists like yourself), you can also find non-religious, spiritual services. These are usually administered by whatever chaplain is available, or a Marine's wife/husband/family member volunteer, regardless of their religion (chaplains wear their religious symbol on their collar opposite side of their rank. As mentioned above, they are normally Protestant, but I've also seen Jews, Catholics, and Muslims).

Oh, and most importantly, understand that the Marine Corps is actually made up of a bunch of different people. Some of them may shun you for being atheist, some won't, most won't care, and many others are atheist as well. Same goes for people who like country music, dip, do Crossfit, like racquetball, are Steelers fans, racists, sexists, environmentalists....basically its just like the outside world; but Marines are more disciplined, hard working, and have to be able to get along with everyone regardless of their beliefs, likes, and dislikes, etc

NoRemorse
12-23-09, 09:12 AM
I see somebody has it out for Steelers fans :D

giveen
12-23-09, 10:20 AM
For the most part, keep it to yourself, unless it comes up in conversation.
As long as you don't go running around screaming " I am an Athiest, respect me!" people wont care.

Marine1391
12-23-09, 10:28 AM
\

You'll learn that the Corps is a religion unto itself where Chesty is held in the highest regard, wisdom is sought from Archibald Henderson and men that wear bursting bombs are heralded as demi-gods placed on Earth to be the baddest men around.

Oohrah.

Backhaus 1103
12-23-09, 10:48 AM
I'm an Athiest and I went to church every Sunday in bootcamp. My friends in my plt were going and it was way better than any bullsh!t that you would be doing in the squadbay with your DIs. It is just about the only time of the week you look forward to in bootcamp...two hours of freedom.
As far as being shunned...you will be the minority, all other people do is make jokes and then five minutes later move on to something else to b!tch about. When my squad in the fleet first found out they were taken back, but no one really gives a flying f*ck since were about to go to Afghanistan. One of my best friends in the fleet is about as religious as you can get.

Just don't go around evangelizing your sh!t and you'll be good.

hussaf
12-23-09, 11:16 AM
I'm an Athiest and I went to church every Sunday in bootcamp. My friends in my plt were going and it was way better than any bullsh!t that you would be doing in the squadbay with your DIs. It is just about the only time of the week you look forward to in bootcamp...two hours of freedom.
As far as being shunned...you will be the minority, all other people do is make jokes and then five minutes later move on to something else to b!tch about. When my squad in the fleet first found out they were taken back, but no one really gives a flying f*ck since were about to go to Afghanistan. One of my best friends in the fleet is about as religious as you can get.

Just don't go around evangelizing your sh!t and you'll be good.

Exactly,

As long as you don't try to convince everyone that religion is bad and God is dead, then it will be a non-issue. The majority of people in the Marine Corps are religious, or have some religious conviction. But so is everyone else in the world. The only difference between you working at Best Buy or being a Marine is that Marines are more apt to forego political correctness and get in a heated argument if you try to challenge their beliefs...while the average citizen will often shirk away. Marines like to argue (many of them, at least) and most guys are A-type personalities. So if you get 'all up' in someone's face about how atheism is logical and correct and religious people are sheep (or whatever the argument may be), don't be surprised if you get called on it an are quickly outnumbered in the debate. Same thing goes for politics and other topical matters. Basically, if you want to convince people of a belief, you better be prepared b/c you will be surprised at some of the sh*t Marines know details about...so if you want to be argumentative and don't look like you know what you are talking about, you will probably loose some respect and people will think you are just shooting off your mouth for sensationalism or for attention.

giveen
12-23-09, 12:17 PM
Religion and politics are just topics Marines should avoid.
Now sex....you can talk about that all day long.

ameriken
12-23-09, 12:31 PM
Religion and politics are just topics Marines should avoid.
Now sex....you can talk about that all day long.

What if you're having sex with a Goddess? :nerd:

giveen
12-23-09, 12:32 PM
What if you're having sex with a Goddess? :nerd:
Well then thats an email that needs to be sent out to every Marine on the global address list.

NoRemorse
12-23-09, 12:43 PM
Well then thats an email that needs to be sent out to every Marine on the global address list.

with full motion video

giveen
12-23-09, 12:46 PM
with full motion video
with subtitles.

thezero
12-23-09, 01:07 PM
No such thing as an athiest in a fox hole haha. But now we had a couple kids in my platoon that were athiest and no one cared, if some one focuses on the fact that your an athiest over the priority of the mission or taking care of your weapon and gear so that there are no complications later then he will be the one to get someone killed, that is the basic mindset that my drill instructors instilled in us, if you worry about the petty things people get killed because your distracted.

Rocky C
12-23-09, 03:37 PM

You can still see the chaplain if you have any issues, you aren't required to attend service but it's a good chance to bond with your future brothers.

Ray, That was EXCELLENT Brother:thumbup:.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

sparkie
12-23-09, 04:11 PM
Be an athiest if you want,,,,,,Just don't be a flaming athiest,,, or flaming anything else, for that matter. Marines tend to put out flames.

Wyoming
12-23-09, 04:57 PM
Answer me this, but when you are in the foxhole, and the **** has hit the fan, 'Who you gonna pray too'?

Backhaus 1103
12-23-09, 05:16 PM
Answer me this, but when you are in the foxhole, and the **** has hit the fan, 'Who you gonna pray too'?

I'd hope I would be fighting back doing my job, not in a little ball on the ground praying to whoever. But I don't know how I would react as I've never been in that situation.

firedog974
12-23-09, 05:37 PM

Out-friggin-standing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

WKranz
12-23-09, 05:54 PM
You'll get asked all the time as you get closer to your buddies who you spend a lot of time with and I have found it's easier to explain that I am an agnostic and whether or not god exists plays no role in how I live my life. It shuts people up quick normally and if someone takes issue with it, they aren't meant to be your friend anyway.

ameriken
12-23-09, 09:37 PM
Personally, I don't in believe God, for numerous reasons that I will not take time explaining. I've been told millions of things by people like "Marines are all a bunch of religious fanatics, If they knew you were an Atheist, they would murder you." and "They like killing people of other religions." Things of that nature.

Anyway, me being an Atheist, would I really be shunned simply because I didn't believe in God? Are there other Atheists in the Marine Corps?
Who are these 'people' who tell you 'millions' of things about the Corps? How many of them actually served in the Corps to know what it is really like?

Do they say the same things about Al Qaeda and Jihadists....that they're a bunch of religious fanatics who like killing people of other religions?

Or do they only say these things about America and Americans?

MLMonk
12-23-09, 09:44 PM
The Marine Corps is composed of people from all walks of life. There is no set standard of Marines who are a given color, religion, and heritage, we are all the same, we are all Marines, that is how you have to look at it. Sure, there are times when you talk about your other life, but just don't let it get to you, and make a big deal about it and push anything on another Marine.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-26-09, 05:56 PM
1: Find a better choice of friends, the one's you have are either morons or don't have a clue. But I repeat myself.

2: Nobody gives a rip what religion you are or even what political persuasion you are. They will DAMN sure care what sort of Marine you are. If you are a dirtbag, slacker, non hacker, that's what they'll measure you by. Not what entity you do, or do NOT, pray to.

3: The only thing Marines care about is our history, and as NR so VERY succinctly put it, we are our OWN religion. That's about as good as it gets.

4: NR, I'm stealing that line as my new sig line.

NoRemorse
12-26-09, 10:04 PM
1: Find a better choice of friends, the one's you have are either morons or don't have a clue. But I repeat myself.

2: Nobody gives a rip what religion you are or even what political persuasion you are. They will DAMN sure care what sort of Marine you are. If you are a dirtbag, slacker, non hacker, that's what they'll measure you by. Not what entity you do, or do NOT, pray to.

3: The only thing Marines care about is our history, and as NR so VERY succinctly put it, we are our OWN religion. That's about as good as it gets.

4: NR, I'm stealing that line as my new sig line.

You could say I was inspired by a force so much greater than myself. :flag:

Sgt Leprechaun
12-26-09, 11:12 PM
Weren't we all!

FattyTheFerret
01-08-10, 04:20 AM

Not by your drill instructors. They may use it as an excuse to IT you but then again they could also use the excuse that it's a day ending in Y and you were breathing too loud.

Some of the other recruits may shun you but the majority won't care. You won't have to bring it up if you don't want to. If you don't want to go to a religious service you don't have to. I tended to use the time in the squad bay to square stuff away before I got tasked as the scribble and found myself spending Sundays in the duty hut or the Co. office.

I know there were a couple other atheists and agnostics in boot camp with me, I knew a few in MCT and at MOS school. I know a few in the fleet. It's not that rare and once you get out of boot camp no one will really care. Just be wary about getting into any kind of religious debate, especially with someone that outranks you.

That being said, as a Pastafarian I wish you the blessings of the FSM. May you be touched by his noodly appendage.

Ramen.

cowstep2
01-08-10, 05:40 AM
You will find God the first time you get shot

Smitty Puffs
01-08-10, 12:18 PM

Anyway, me being an Atheist, would I really be shunned simply because I didn't believe in God? Are there other Atheists in the Marine Corps? Being in the Corps has a funny way of making people believe in a higher power. Trust me.

BR34
01-08-10, 03:31 PM
You will find God the first time you get shot

That's dumb. That's like telling telling a Muslim he'll believe in Jesus once a Marine shoots him.

If the guy doesn't believe in God why do you think getting shot will change his mind? If anything it'll probably make his lack of belief stronger.

haebyungdae
01-24-10, 07:47 AM
I'm an atheist and have had no problems throughout my six plus years in the Corps. Just don't go around prosthelytizing what you think and no one will care.

Moderboater
01-24-10, 08:09 AM
Kobra,

When I went in I was very much into paganism, However USMCRDSD didn't have anything for pagans, so I just decided to go to the buddist one instead. It's actually very laid back there. It would be wise of you to go to a religious gathering on Sunday otherwise you get to spend more quality time with the Drill Instructors ;).

EnderInExile
01-24-10, 08:43 AM
Holy crap I cannot believe the number of ignorant responses you have received. Some from complete and utter pompous jack@$$'s others from people whose thoughts seem to be so far out there I don't think they even bothered to think on the subject, but interjected with some irrelevant fart of a thought.

I am a devout atheist and my whole shop knows it. There are 4 atheists in my shop to include myself. The other 3 are men. We are no treated any differently than the last Marine. This is coming from a Female so you know you're going to be ok.

No one cares what anyone else's religion is. If they did, they would be in the WRONG!
Keep business just that, business.

Zulu 36
01-24-10, 09:29 AM
Here is my take: An atheist has no belief in a higher being, a God or Gods. So, any mention of religion should have zero meaning to an atheist. It shouldn't even be a concern. Let the great unwashed prattle on about God, who cares?

But a lot of atheists seem to care. And once you start to think your belief system is superior (and atheists do have a belief system), you now have a religion.

I am a Christian. I was born into a Roman Catholic family, later became a Lutheran. Now I consider myself a plain-Jane Christian.

This my personal rule: I won't rub my religion in your face, don't rub your religion OR lack of religion in mine. We'll all find out who is right or wrong eventually.

I don't mind a nice, polite, academic, discussion about religion. But don't even think of beating me with your holy book, whatever it is.

EnderInExile
01-24-10, 12:38 PM
Here is my take: An atheist has no belief in a higher being, a God or Gods. So, any mention of religion should have zero meaning to an atheist. It shouldn't even be a concern. Let the great unwashed prattle on about God, who cares?

But a lot of atheists seem to care. And once you start to think your belief system is superior (and atheists do have a belief system), you now have a religion.

What!? Of course they care! It's called passion, and conviction! To me the most respectful of people and sexiest men are the ones with fervent passion for their convictions. Such passion/conviction in its purest form comes from intelligent discontented people wanting to change the world and to share ideas! Everyone knows how important it is to share ideas! Why do you think the internet is so popular and vital to day to day life!?

I am a Christian. I was born into a Roman Catholic family, later became a Lutheran. Now I consider myself a plain-Jane Christian.

This my personal rule: I won't rub my religion in your face, don't rub your religion OR lack of religion in mine. We'll all find out who is right or wrong eventually.

I don't mind a nice, polite, academic, discussion about religion. But don't even think of beating me with your holy book, whatever it is.

So basically you just said, "Here's my opinion and here's how you think in my opinion. And here's what you would think about my opinion. so now that I've prescribed for you an opinion and told you how you think, shut up and don't respond to this message because I'm somehow superior (in opinion) making you somehow inferior or I wouldn't have said any of this shi..."
..you get my point?!

Anyway that's just the way you were coming off. Not that you care about any of that, your superior attitude would suggest that you do not.
ugh..

Just translating.

I agree.
(that is, if you intended on making this point...)
Religious discussion should be held on a forum made for it and not here! And of course does not belong at work.

Just a suggestion, why don't you stop for a second, ok now stop reading the definition of "belief system" and thinking that you can just apply it to anyone, who thinks anything. Ok, because a disbelief does not constitute a belief or furthermore a "belief system". Perhaps your vocabulary is limited, it isn't allowing you to completely comprehend that there can exist a human mind that hasn't subscribed to a philosophy with religious doctrines. I've stopped using the word "disbelief" so as to avoid having this very illogical argument. I could go on and on but I'll stop there and re-direct my frustrations to a religious forum.. lol

;)

Wyoming
01-24-10, 01:09 PM
Who's the newbie hottie in the profile pix? Nice respect for the Marine Corps uniform.

BTW, NOT!!!

Hey Chris, now you got a limited vocabulary. Damm. Hottie picked up on that real quick.

Zulu 36
01-24-10, 01:15 PM
Who's the newbie hottie in the profile pix? Nice respect for the Marine Corps uniform.

BTW, NOT!!!

Hey Chris, now you got a limited vocabulary. Damm. Hottie picked up on that real quick.

Yeah, well you know it is, all that edumication I gots just ain't no good.

As I'm sure you know Al, there is a fine line between passion and zealotry. The trick is knowing what side of the line you're really on.

commdog7
01-24-10, 03:27 PM
Why is this such a big issue?

No one cares that you're atheists; Marines got more important things to worry about. But if you're afraid you won't "fit in" with the majority of (Christian) Marines, go find Jesus.

FattyTheFerret
01-24-10, 03:29 PM

The militant atheist is about as representative of non-believers as Westboro Baptist is a representative of christianity. I don't have a problem with anyone else having religion until they try to make me live my life by their religion. Until they try to impose theirs on others. That's usually when an atheist will stand up and push back.

Atheism is not a belief system; it's a lack of belief. Those that claim they know for sure that there is no god or gods are a minority, just like the bible thumping evangelicals are a minority of christianity.

FattyTheFerret
01-24-10, 03:33 PM
What!? Of course they care! It's called passion, and conviction! To me the most respectful of people and sexiest men are the ones with fervent passion for their convictions. Such passion/conviction in its purest form comes from intelligent discontented people wanting to change the world and to share ideas! Everyone knows how important it is to share ideas! Why do you think the internet is so popular and vital to day to day life!?

Passion and conviction are fine but if their belief isn't making any difference in anyone else's life then there's no sense in bothering with it.

I'm the first one to stand up against someone pushing their religion on me, especially when it comes to making laws based purely on that religion. But there are a couple of very devout christians in my unit and they've never tried to convert me or push their beliefs on me so I'm not going to start arguments with them about it on a whim.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-25-10, 12:08 AM
Hey! I'm an atheist. Swear to god.

Whatever helps you get to sleep at night, as long as you don't push it, become a zealot about it, OR CARE WHAT OTHERS DO/WORSHIP/DON'T WORSHIP, it shouldn't be an issue.

That having been said, in my long life experience, I've found that zealots, be they islamofascists, 'born again' christians, atheists, or wiccans, are the most intolerant azzholes you'll ever run across, since theirs is the "One true way", and the rest of us are nonbelievers who either need to be 'converted' or destroyed. Them's are the one's I have issues with, and fight as much as possible.

Wyoming
01-25-10, 07:58 AM
I gotta give those folks that come around and hand out those pamplets some credit. They don't let a little adverse weather slow them down. I actually had one the other day stop her car to give me a booklet. It was snowing like a ***** and colder than a witch's titty, and I was packing my Jeep. She stopped, got out, started a conversation and handed me a booklet. I asked if this was now her territory and it turns out it now is. I was in a hurry, but she said she would be back. Maybe she'd like a little warm cocoa next time.

jrhd97
01-25-10, 08:07 AM
It will not matter to a Marine who is worth a dam. Those it does bother and feel the need to badger and harass you about it are not worth a fart in the wind.
Sadly, I know many Atheist's and Agnostic's that live a life more representative of a Christian than many who claim to be Christians.
You adhere to the morals and code of conduct for the Corps, you will be fine.

WKranz
01-25-10, 10:27 AM
"Atheism claims that God does not exist—an unprovable position. Agnosticism argues that God’s existence cannot be proven or unproven, that it is impossible to know whether or not God exists"

Athiesm tends to annoy a believer of any faith, and in itself is a religion. A belief in not believing, if you will. I hope this seems somewhat relevant to the topic, it did in my scatterred brain.

FattyTheFerret
01-25-10, 11:13 AM
"Atheism claims that God does not exist—an unprovable position. Agnosticism argues that God’s existence cannot be proven or unproven, that it is impossible to know whether or not God exists"

Athiesm tends to annoy a believer of any faith, and in itself is a religion. A belief in not believing, if you will. I hope this seems somewhat relevant to the topic, it did in my scatterred brain.
Atheism takes many forms; to most it is merely a lack of belief. When some claim there is no supernatural higher power, that is considered positive or strong atheism. What most atheists follow is passive or weak atheism. Basically, refusing to believe in something supernatural without any real evidence.

How that can be construed as a religion is confusing. A belief by itself does not constitute a religion.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/40634/atheism