PDA

View Full Version : Join?

Ryddle
12-22-09, 09:25 AM
Ok, right now, I am on my 3rd year of college, studying Electronic Engineering (its 5 years total to graduate, which means I have 2 and a half years for graduation). So far, I am not unhappy about it, but neither I am too happy about it. I am doing pretty well (4.2/5 grade), but I feel kind of unmotivated. I started checking info on the Marine Corps and I really liked it, it really appeals to me. Plus, I recently met a marine and it seems like the Marine Corps are pulling me in.
I think I want to join, my gut feeling tells me its just right, its that simple. Rationally speaking, I am not sure, but my instinct tells me to do it. The pride, the work, the motivation, I seem to be drawn towards it very strongly; and I feel that if I do not join, I will regret it forever. The question is, should I join? If so, now (I am 21) or should I finish college (by the time I will be 24)? Is 24 fine to join?

On another note, this marine friend I met, since I am outside the US and he is on work now, what would be a good Christmas gift for him? He is kind of alone here, and I am trying to make his stay here better.

Thanks in advance.

Hotel4341
12-22-09, 10:07 AM
Before the forum police come biting your head off, capitalize Marines at all times.

Whether or not you should join depends on ... well, first off, I see you're going to school in Venezuela. If you're not an American citizen, you've got a few hoops to jump through to join. If you are an American citizen, it really depends on whether you want to go officer or enlisted. While you can still go enlisted if you graduate college, I'd recommend just finishing college while you're in if you're going that route. 24 is fine to join either way. Max is 28 (w/o a waiver).

Ryddle
12-22-09, 10:36 AM
Unfortunately, I am not an American citizen. But I checked, I can still join, I am not too sure about the paperwork though (any help on this would be great). I have been to the US a few times (even lived there for a year), and I feel much more identified with Americans than with Venezuela (oh, it sucks here, lol).
In other words, 24 is fine? I wonŽt feel old compared to others or out of place?
In regards to the gift: Is there anything a Marine needs outside his country? I was thinking it could be nothing big he could not take with him, maybe something to call the US? I thought of a pockey knife, but I laughed after thinking of it. Advice?

polizei
12-22-09, 10:53 AM
Get your degree and go officer, it'll give you more time to think about it, and the best route imo if you have a degree. And get your friend a knife, that's always good.

ameriken
12-22-09, 11:01 AM
Maybe I'm asking a silly question, but will a degree from Venezuela be recognized and given the equivelant of a degree in the US?

BR34
12-22-09, 11:17 AM
Doesn't really matter, he'd have to be a U.S. citizen to be an officer.

I know a Marine from Zimbabwe who got his degree in the U.K. He's about to go the officer route with the AF (got his citizenship last year). I believe he told me there's a test that has to be taken in the U.S. to ensure a person actually knows what their foreign degree claims they know.

Ryddle
12-22-09, 05:35 PM
Thank you very much. I will then finish my degree (which I am pretty sure is valid in the US as well), and think about joining a little more; I just hope the wait does not become unbearable.
I guess i will try to find this Marine friend a pocket knife or something, but I still feel dumb, given every weapon he has.

sparkie
12-22-09, 07:22 PM
Thank you very much. I will then finish my degree (which I am pretty sure is valid in the US as well), and think about joining a little more; I just hope the wait does not become unbearable.
I guess i will try to find this Marine friend a pocket knife or something, but I still feel dumb, given every weapon he has.

A good pocket knife, and some duct tape is a prized posession,,,,,,,,

Wyoming
12-22-09, 07:58 PM
I lived in Caracas myself for a number of years.

Right above the Embassy in Piedras Blanca.

Your 'friend' must work at the Embassy.

Giving him or her a gift, is nice, but the paperwork that goes with it sucks.

Just go to one of the Friday night parties at the Marine House, take a couple of those fine Venezuelean beauties along, and a couple of cases of Solera or Polar and you will be good to go.

Ryddle
12-24-09, 08:20 AM
Thanks BigAl! Will do so then. Although I think they are quite busy atm for parties; IŽll wait for it.

fespar
12-24-09, 04:11 PM
You can't enlist without a green card!Since I was once in your situation, please see my responses elsewhere here.

Ryddle
12-26-09, 07:41 AM
What!? I can't!? Time to spam that search function...
Search for what? Non-american, green card...? If anyone has the links, I would really appreciate it.

sparkie
12-26-09, 07:52 AM
Quick search on 'green card'.
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91550&highlight=Green+card

Ryddle
12-26-09, 07:59 AM
Alright, thanks. Although this really makes it tough...
However, I have some information that says that I do not need a green card to enlist. For one part, would it make any sense for a company to ask for you, so that you can enlist (and obviously do not work with them)? Also, I have been told by some Marines and some friends that the green card is not needed... Perhaps the laws changed after so long?
Guess I will have to do more research!

fespar
12-26-09, 09:23 AM
Hey listen up!No green-card=No enlistment!!!I don't care what others say.A company can't just hire you so you can enlist.That company must show the INS why they want you and why they cannot find an American for that job.When I got my job my employer spent 3 years working with the INS before THEY approved of me.I don't claim to know much,but on this subject I consider myself an authority.I worked over 9 years with this question.

sparkie
12-26-09, 07:41 PM
This kid won't take reality for an answer.

Ryddle
12-26-09, 08:56 PM
Thanks fespar! God this really hurts me, I think nothing has ever made me feel so frustrated and at the same time so determined. If the green card is indeed the way to go, any help on that? Is it possible to have a company ask you for the sole purpose of enlisting? I have 3 years until graduation; I am fluent in both Spanish and English, and I am getting to that point in German. What can I start doing? Should I ask elsewhere? Please, ANY help is very much welcome; I had no idea I wanted this so much until I was told that I could not do it.

Ryddle
12-26-09, 09:18 PM
Since I cannot Edit: I was sure I wanted to join the Marines; the part of the needed green card just made surer and more determined to do it.

mincj
12-26-09, 10:30 PM
Go the officer route. 24 is too old to start in the enlisted side.

Lisa 23
12-26-09, 10:41 PM
Go the officer route. 24 is too old to start in the enlisted side.
First, not everyone who has a college degree is cut out to be an officer.
Second, he needs to obtain a green card. (Read his 1st post).
Third, in my opinion, he's not to old to go enlisted. My nephew, who graduated college in May and went to boot camp on June 1st, went enlisted. He was 25 when he left and turned 26 in boot camp. He's currently at 29 Palms at his MOS school.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-26-09, 11:23 PM
He's not too old to 'go enlisted', and not only will he need a Green card (aka 'Right to work permit') to enlist, he'll have to be a naturalized American to become an officer. That will take even longer.

Solution: Get to the US, do the 'job' for as long as it takes, then enlist.

There is no 'back door' or 'easy way'. That's the ONLY way.

Ryddle
12-29-09, 08:16 AM
Alright, thanks. I was also told by a Marine that I should contact a recruiter; apparently there is a possibility to enlist and go directly to boot camp. Otherwise, I will have to do it the hard way.
On another note, is there anything I can be doing in advance to prepare for joining the Marines? Apart from keeping in shape and working out? Like maybe some books I should read, activities I should get into...
Thanks again for everything.

Phantom Blooper
12-29-09, 09:59 AM
Enlistment into the U.S. Marine Corps, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 — commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 35; meet the mental, moral, and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently.

Note: The U.S. military branches cannot assist foreign nationals in obtaining admittance into the United States. Questions concerning immigration to the United States should be asked of the U.S. Embassy. Only after immigration procedures are completed and an applicant is legally residing in the United States may an application for enlistment be accepted.

Furthermore, in order to be commissioned an officer in the U.S. Navy, one must be a native-born or naturalized United States citizen.

The U.S. government agency which is responsible for immigration and naturalization is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Their web site is at http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

:evilgrin: