PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Getting Back In

Wolfpack0313
12-21-09, 09:40 AM
So, it's been a few years since I left AD and I've enjoyed my life as a civilian, but I've always thought about going back to the reserves. With the economy as bad as it is, I always could use the extra money. My wife has been fighting kidney failure for the last 3 years and just got her transplant, but her recovery might take a while. Oddly enough, she brought up the subject of me getting back into the reserves so I'm starting to kick the idea around.

I was an 0313 in 3rd LAR when I served, went to Iraq in 2003, and I'm looking into joining an aviation unit near NAS Atlanta where I live. I believe its a light attack helo squadron and I was looking for the 6174 MOS, UH-1 crew chief. I wanted to get a heads up from everyone out there about this MOS and find out whats involved. I havent gone to a recruiter yet, married life has not been good to my waistline so I have to get back to fighting weight before I go in there.

Any input on schools and anyhting else on this MOS field would be appreciated. Coming from the FMF I know absolutely nothing about life in the wing so if its pertinent I want to hear about it.

Cash2053
12-21-09, 11:16 AM
I live not too far from you. NAS Atlanta is on the brac list to close. HMLA 773 is there, but they are moving to Warner Robins. I was in MALS-42. I deployed with HMLA 773 to Afghanistan. I got out in 2006. I am also thinking about getting back in the reserves, and also working on getting my weight down. You will have to drill at Warner Robins if you want to join that unit. Its not too far from Canton.

Vandrel
12-21-09, 11:39 AM
NAS Atlanta may close but there is also the FSSG/MLG I&I Staff next to the base over by the Air Force side. It's a large hub for the reserves so even if MAG42 moves there should still be Marines in Marietta. You could probably swing a position in supply or one of the S-shops, they even have a motor pool and all that. I have not been over there since 1999 but I'm sure it's still the same deal.

I grew up just down the street in Powder Springs so I was always over by the NAS area.

Ingle
12-21-09, 12:19 PM
i pm's you but it may be completly wrong information as i was thinking you were close to canton illinois

Juicemang
12-21-09, 12:42 PM
Wolfpack, are you still on contract and in the IRR?

Vandrel
12-21-09, 12:44 PM
Wolfpack, are you still on contract and in the IRR?

Doubt it,
<DT class=shade>Year Entered Marine corps <DD>2000 <DT class=shade>Year Exited Marine Corps <DD>2004 </DD>

Juicemang
12-21-09, 12:52 PM
Ah, true that.

Getting back in on the reserve side was quick and easy for me. Had to have the docs check me out, met my new OIC, and that was that. But I was also still in the IRR. So, I'm guessing a Marine coming back who is not on contract would have to sign a contract for obligated reserve time.

Supersquishy
12-21-09, 01:24 PM
Ah, true that.

Getting back in on the reserve side was quick and easy for me. Had to have the docs check me out, met my new OIC, and that was that. But I was also still in the IRR. So, I'm guessing a Marine coming back who is not on contract would have to sign a contract for obligated reserve time.

Yea, its a total pain in the ass.

Cash2053
12-21-09, 01:49 PM
What are the steps if you are off contract? I know the first would be to contact a PSR, but beyond that what do you have to do?

Cash2053
12-21-09, 01:53 PM
Sorry Wolfpack0313, I did not mean to hijack your thread.

Juicemang
12-21-09, 01:54 PM
What are the steps if you are off contract? I know the first would be to contact a PSR, but beyond that what do you have to do?

Read MCO 1001R.1K.

http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO%201001R.1K.pdf

Wolfpack0313
12-21-09, 02:08 PM
Sorry Wolfpack0313, I did not mean to hijack your thread.

I dont mind. I've been off IRR for over two years so I'm sure I'll have all kinds of hoops to jump through. The only card I have to play is that I finally get to run the Old Man's PFT!

Juicemang
12-21-09, 02:13 PM
Yeah Wolf, pretty sure you'll need to put a package in, and hope there are boatspaces available for your MOS. When you put in to lat move and go to school again, I assume the difficulty in getting back in goes up. You'd probably have to go through MEPS and all that bull**** again.

guided
01-03-10, 12:24 AM
Det 1 Ammo Co. just moved to NAS Atlanta. PSR is actually in the building Vandrel described. As a lance i'm pulling a couple hundred bucks at most a month, that combined with the expense of gas and you're not left with much so I'm not sure how helpful the reserves would be to you. A Marine from the MAG transferred here a while back and the school according to him involves reading manuals and doing computer tests at your own pace. At drill you rarely/never do your job because of funding or time constraints so you end up having to play catch up at AT/deployments. The difference between units is location and laxity. Det 1 tends to do more "Marine ****" like going to the field where as other units (sans combat arms) don't bother. If you want to get on a deployment then I can see the merit of joining the reserves but the normal one weekend a month two weeks a year can be demotivating. I'm trying to put in a PSEP to go active but apparently the Marine Corps is satisfied with my reserve status. Who knows what a new year brings, though. PM me if you have any specific questions.