PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on 03XX

Kcperkins
12-21-09, 05:24 AM
Hello Marines, I have intentions on going 03xx and I was wanting to get some feedback from more Grunts that have been through it. I have a friend who his 4 year enlistment is up this coming summer and he keeps telling me that its not worth it for what you have to go through everyday. I believe that I am a strong willed person and think it would be an experience of a lifetime. So i need some more opinions. Let it be known that I would like to here some pros vs. cons on reserve 03xx as well since that I live within 80 miles of Lima company out of Columbus, OH. I want to thank the Marines who take their time to read this and reply.

Backhaus 1103
12-21-09, 12:42 PM
I couldn't tell you about the reserves, but the fleet has some good and bad times. A lot of people ***** about sweating your balls off, or freezing them off, while some admin pog sits in their ac in an office and never has to deal with sh!t other than if their pen ran out of ink or their carpal tunnel is kicking up. I may still be a boot, but tell you the truth...I wouldn't want to have any other mos than the one I have. You couldn't pay me enough to miss our deployment.

Kcperkins
12-21-09, 12:57 PM
Thankyou for your input

Gary Hall
12-21-09, 01:08 PM
Hello Marines, I have intentions on going 03xx and I was wanting to get some feedback from more Grunts that have been through it. I have a friend who his 4 year enlistment is up this coming summer and he keeps telling me that its not worth it for what you have to go through everyday. I believe that I am a strong willed person and think it would be an experience of a lifetime. So i need some more opinions. Let it be known that I would like to here some pros vs. cons on reserve 03xx as well since that I live within 80 miles of Lima company out of Columbus, OH. I want to thank the Marines who take their time to read this and reply.
================================================== =======
:usmc: and I appreciated every God Damned day of it. I didn't do or learn anything else.

Out of it, I learned 2 things:
1.) The USMC administers good medicine,
2.) I am thankful for the medicine.

BR34
12-21-09, 02:21 PM
I I may still be a boot

You sure about that? Sure sound salty to me. Hell, I bet you could take out 5 "admin pog" with one hand behind your back and your eyes closed, huh killer?

Backhaus 1103
12-21-09, 03:02 PM
Doubt it, can't fight for sh!t. But I bet the rifle range is a hard field op right?

BR34
12-21-09, 03:10 PM
Doubt it, can't fight for sh!t. But I bet the rifle range is a hard field op right?

I wouldn't know. I'm not 03 so I don't get to use a rifle. Maybe you can let us know whenever you get to do your first qual though.

Backhaus 1103
12-21-09, 03:14 PM
No doubt. I'll be sure to use a Mk 19 round in my 203 next time.

polizei
12-21-09, 03:16 PM
Laf. Go for it. :D

Dale0817
12-21-09, 08:48 PM
Im going through ITB right now

And all I can say is make sure youre prepared for it. Its not horrible, its what you make of it. But I will say Oceanside is freezing this time of year

chili77bowl
12-24-09, 10:53 AM
Hey kid, your friend that said it ain't worth it, needs to get the F*** outta my Corps...I wouldn't be in unless I could stay 03XX...

Even better as an 0369...

DADDYMAC34
12-24-09, 01:38 PM
We are "Grunts" son, till the day we die. We are the "suck" they speak of. It is hell and it is heaven. Years after you are done and you run into other Marines. Simply saying you were a grunt makes even a L tCol Marine jealous. Why does anyone feel a little "inferior" ?????

I couldn't tell you about the reserves, but the fleet has some good and bad times. A lot of people ***** about sweating your balls off, or freezing them off, while some admin pog sits in their ac in an office and never has to deal with sh!t other than if their pen ran out of ink or their carpal tunnel is kicking up. I may still be a boot, but tell you the truth...I wouldn't want to have any other mos than the one I have. You couldn't pay me enough to miss our deployment.

Quinbo
12-24-09, 04:51 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Haditha

Although a reserve unit "L" 3/25 saw some of the heaviest fighting of the war in Iraq.
__________________________________________________ _______________________

There were times when I absolutely hated the infantry but in retrospect I wouldn't trade it for another MOS.

Kcperkins
12-24-09, 04:56 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Haditha

Although a reserve unit "L" 3/25 saw some of the heaviest fighting of the war in Iraq.
__________________________________________________ _______________________

There were times when I absolutely hated the infantry but in retrospect I wouldn't trade it for another MOS.

Yes sir, I saw the documentary Combat Diary an they went through some S*** .

Kegler300
12-24-09, 05:01 PM
My personal opinion is that every Marine should be a grunt before they become anything else. If you really want to appreciate our Corps, start out under fire in the mud, and then work your way up.

CplGiraffe
12-24-09, 05:38 PM

Don't be harsh on the admin, they are the ones that make sure you get paid and get orders for leave and such.

Quinbo
12-24-09, 06:01 PM
True story:

I was in a unit that got to do some cool high speed stuff. We had some admin types volunteer to be training aids. Tied a lad in a chair; he had a bullet proof vest, safety googles, helmet, knee pads, nomex gloves the works. In his lap was placed a dummy(painted blue) anti tank mine. All he knew was that he was a booby trapped hostage.

We made dynamic entry into the house with flash bangs. Our booby trapped hostage thought the bomb in his lap had gone off, then he ****e himself and started crying. He later had to have a psych eval.

I'm pretty sure he was just fine with tapping keys and sharpening pencils after that.

chili77bowl
12-24-09, 08:23 PM
I couldn't agree more, Master Guns...

My personal opinion is that every Marine should be a grunt before they become anything else. If you really want to appreciate our Corps, start out under fire in the mud, and then work your way up.