PDA

View Full Version : Security Clearance

Vazquez90
12-21-09, 12:08 AM
Hello Marines,

Here's my situation, my planned mos in the Corps was to be an 0231. Recently though my recruiter called me telling me that i would not be able to due to the fact that my mother was not a U.S. Citizen, stating that in order for me to receive the security clearance needed my mom would have to a U.S. citizen. My mom is currently in the process of becoming a resident, and should have that within a year.

Now here's the thing that's got me confused. I've searched the internet soon after he told me, just to verify, not that i don't trust him, but i always like to make sure myself. I found conflicting stories from both sides. Some saying that it was impossible to get one if a parent wasn't a U.S. Citizen, and others saying that it is possible to get one but that the process would just take a little longer.

Would any Marines know how handle this situation? and if its even possible to get my mos at all? I really want to get this mos, so anything would be appreciated.

and since i made a thread, I'll ask one other small question, if i decided to get Lasik before shipping would it be a problem?

Thank You

hussaf
12-21-09, 01:18 AM
This is from the SF86, a form you have to fill out for clearance application. Yeah, its a little unclear but that is the nature of the beast. Get used to it if you are going into government work...even DoD. That being said, I know people who weren't born in the US who have high level security clearances in the Marine Corps. Your recruiter either isn't too familiar with clearance investigations (its confusing and probably not something he deals with a lot), or simply doesn't want to take the risk of an expensive and drawn out clearance investigation that might not go through.

I would research how long before heading to bootcamp you can get major corrective surgery.
Good luck w/all

Citizenship of yourself and “immediate” family members (spouse, children, mother, father, brothers and sisters). If you or any of your “immediate” family members were born outside the United States, please ensure you annotate on the form, or separate sheet of paper, the appropriate manner of how U.S. citizenship was obtained (i.e. naturalization, derived or born abroad of U.S. parents). Please provide copies of naturalization certificates, citizenship certificate or report of birth abroad for your parents, yourself, your children, brothers and sisters, if at all possible. A copy of a U.S. passport will suffice to show proof of U.S. citizenship. Whichever is available will be accepted. If family members are not U.S. citizens and have an alien registration number from the INS, please provide that number. Your U.S. citizenship and that of your immediate family members have to be verified by DS.

Kegler300
12-21-09, 04:15 AM
The problem is the SCI portion of the TS clearance. Foreign born relatives, spouses, etc., can prevent you from obtaining eligibility for the SCI, which you must have as an 0231.

hussaf
12-21-09, 07:34 AM
The problem is the SCI portion of the TS clearance. Foreign born relatives, spouses, etc., can prevent you from obtaining eligibility for the SCI, which you must have as an 0231.

True, maybe its worth waiting for your mother's citizenship to go through. I know many Marines who have TS(SCI) that were either first or second generation US citizens....so if this is a job you really want, maybe you should wait for it.

Lisa 23
12-21-09, 09:13 AM
If you get lasik eye surgery 'before' you join the Marine Corps, you have to wait 6 months, and you would probably need a waiver for it, and with the Marine Corps above and beyond their recruiting mission, you might dq'd.
Oh, and use the search bar on lasik surgery as this topic has been covered many times before.

Vazquez90
12-21-09, 06:23 PM
simply doesn't want to take the risk of an expensive and drawn out clearance investigation that might not go through.

This is what I'm thinking is occurring. Which i completely understand but i wont let it stop me. I'll see if i can find any more info. If nothing arises then i guess I'll just wait a couple more years and then lateral move once she does become a citizen.

as for lasiks, i'll just wait until after i graduate(if i make it :) ).

Thanks for the responses.