PDA

View Full Version : Just a question???

ecdq54
12-20-09, 05:06 PM
When do the cutting scores come out for January 2010?

RLE0352
12-20-09, 05:12 PM
http://marinecorpstimes.com/news/2009/12/marine_cutting_scores_121609w/

ecdq54
12-20-09, 06:40 PM
Thank you Cpl, missed it by 6 points!!

polizei
12-20-09, 08:39 PM
Wow, I only have like 1400...guess I'll never pick up. Lol. I need a 1687, and a gray belt...yea...

Big Jim
12-21-09, 01:26 AM
Dam....things sure are different from 1986.....LOL....

SGT7477
12-21-09, 06:21 AM
1974 too,lol.

BR34
12-21-09, 06:33 AM
They didn't promote by scores in the 70s and 80s? How did it work back then?

SGT7477
12-21-09, 07:36 AM
They didn't promote by scores in the 70s and 80s? How did it work back then?
Time and grade, PFT scores, inspections and another thing that really helped me when I left camp LeJeune to go to Oki my CO sent a Letter Of Apppreciation with my records so I picked up CPL real quick and became a billeting NCO for officers on the rock.:flag:

BR34
12-21-09, 08:17 AM
Time and grade, PFT scores, inspections and another thing that really helped me when I left camp LeJeune to go to Oki my CO sent a Letter Of Apppreciation with my records so I picked up CPL real quick and became a billeting NCO for officers on the rock.:flag:

Well that's pretty much the same way it's done now, except all those things are converted into a point scale and added together to get the comp score.

SGT7477
12-21-09, 08:46 AM
Well that's pretty much the same way it's done now, except all those things are converted into a point scale and added together to get the comp score.
How high of a score do you need to pick up SGT, it seems like there is 10 year and over SGT's, when I was in the fleet the SNCO's we had with in our platoon said you should be looking at picking up SSGT within 5 years?:flag:

Juicemang
12-21-09, 12:50 PM
A SSgt with 5 years in the Corps today would have to be one moto Marine. There would have to be some, if not all meritorious promotions in there. It also depends on MOS.

As an admin guy, I was very close to picking up Sgt right when I was getting out. (Actually one MCI away.) I had two meritorious promotions though. So really, it's about MOS and if you can pick up meritorious promotions. I think most Marines these days are looking at SSgt around the end of their 2nd enlistment.

Vandrel
12-21-09, 01:05 PM
It is "normal" for Marines to be in zone for SSgt around 7 years time in service, anything before that is just too soon. It is a good time line for a Marine to pin on SSgt at around 7 years just before PCS'ing either back to their old unit or to a new one, gives that Marine a fresh start as a SNCO and not as a NCO that just pinned on SNCO which some NCO's will take advantage of.

MarineTimes did a story about young NCO's and SNCO's awhile ago. I think it was called "Baby NCO's" or something like that and was discussing early promotions and Marines not having the needed experience and knowledge to fill the shoes.

Around that time is also when I started looking around on MOL and seeing some Marines in other MOS's that were REALLY boot. When I say boot I mean a brand new SSgt that just pinned on with 5-6 years in service. For most of us seeing others like that is really a shocker since around the 5 and 6 year service mark is when career Marines are just getting their feet wet in the fleet after reenlisting and often outside their MOS.

Promotions today are not bad by any means, it's a very common thing for a squared away Marine to see Sgt during their first enlistment. But there are some who do pick up to fast and it's not that they are kiss asses and don't deserve it but giving out rank to soon puts the Marine at risk for lack of respect among their peers because they don't have the experience for that rank. One can be book smart and paperwork smart but putting the skills to action is what will kill them most times.

Such is the Marine Corps

BR34
12-21-09, 01:34 PM
How high of a score do you need to pick up SGT, it seems like there is 10 year and over SGT's, when I was in the fleet the SNCO's we had with in our platoon said you should be looking at picking up SSGT within 5 years?:flag:

It depends on the MOS. The smaller the MOS the higher the score (or at least that how it appears to be). MOSs like Supply have scores in the 15-1600s for Sgts, so someone could easily be a Sgt in 3 years. SSgt in 5 would be rare for most MOSs I think, but I'm sure it happens.

polizei
12-21-09, 03:14 PM
I remember a Sgt telling me that it's like BR34 said. The smaller the MOS field, obviously the easier it's going to be to pick up. So cooks, etc. will tend to pick up Sgt in under 3 years. So I assume you could get SSgt in around 5. Though that's highly unlikely in a larger MOS.

Vandrel
12-21-09, 03:21 PM
So I assume you could get SSgt in around 5. Though that's highly unlikely in a larger MOS.

SSgt and above is based on a selection board, Marines that fall within a time in grade and time in service bracket. The only exception to this is a meritoriously.

BR34
12-21-09, 03:22 PM
I remember a Sgt telling me that it's like BR34 said. The smaller the MOS field, obviously the easier it's going to be to pick up. So cooks, etc. will tend to pick up Sgt in under 3 years. So I assume you could get SSgt in around 5. Though that's highly unlikely in a larger MOS.

No, I said the smaller the field the larger the cutting score, meaning it makes it HARDER to pick up.

In smaller MOS fields there's less Marines EAS'n, so less are getting promoted, so the score has to rise or the MOS would be full of Sgts and above.

SGT7477
12-21-09, 06:42 PM
A SSgt with 5 years in the Corps today would have to be one moto Marine. There would have to be some, if not all meritorious promotions in there. It also depends on MOS.

As an admin guy, I was very close to picking up Sgt right when I was getting out. (Actually one MCI away.) I had two meritorious promotions though. So really, it's about MOS and if you can pick up meritorious promotions. I think most Marines these days are looking at SSgt around the end of their 2nd enlistment.
There is a SSGT on this site with 4 years in our beloved Corps.:flag:

SGT7477
12-21-09, 06:46 PM
It is "normal" for Marines to be in zone for SSgt around 7 years time in service, anything before that is just too soon. It is a good time line for a Marine to pin on SSgt at around 7 years just before PCS'ing either back to their old unit or to a new one, gives that Marine a fresh start as a SNCO and not as a NCO that just pinned on SNCO which some NCO's will take advantage of.

MarineTimes did a story about young NCO's and SNCO's awhile ago. I think it was called "Baby NCO's" or something like that and was discussing early promotions and Marines not having the needed experience and knowledge to fill the shoes.

Around that time is also when I started looking around on MOL and seeing some Marines in other MOS's that were REALLY boot. When I say boot I mean a brand new SSgt that just pinned on with 5-6 years in service. For most of us seeing others like that is really a shocker since around the 5 and 6 year service mark is when career Marines are just getting their feet wet in the fleet after reenlisting and often outside their MOS.

Promotions today are not bad by any means, it's a very common thing for a squared away Marine to see Sgt during their first enlistment. But there are some who do pick up to fast and it's not that they are kiss asses and don't deserve it but giving out rank to soon puts the Marine at risk for lack of respect among their peers because they don't have the experience for that rank. One can be book smart and paperwork smart but putting the skills to action is what will kill them most times.

Such is the Marine Corps
The 4 year SSGT on this site was a Nam vet I believe he knew his way around.:flag:

Big Jim
12-21-09, 06:47 PM
It depends on the MOS. The smaller the MOS the higher the score (or at least that how it appears to be). MOSs like Supply have scores in the 15-1600s for Sgts, so someone could easily be a Sgt in 3 years. SSgt in 5 would be rare for most MOSs I think, but I'm sure it happens.

A Ssgt. in 5 years...?!?! WOW.....that was unheard of when I was active duty....I did hear of a guy making Ssgt. in 9 years....and not depending on MOS or not.....it was considered to be a quick promotion...

Like I said....things sure have changed alot.....

SGT7477
12-21-09, 06:49 PM
I'm talking about 0811, the SSGT's in my time said if you aren't going to be a SSGT in 5 years you are probabbly wasting your time.:flag:

SGT7477
12-21-09, 06:50 PM
A Ssgt. in 5 years...?!?! WOW.....that was unheard of when I was active duty....I did hear of a guy making Ssgt. in 9 years....and not depending on MOS or not.....it was considered to be a quick promotion...

Well Big Jim, Redman1 was a SSGT in 4 years, a highly squared away NAM vet.:flag:

Hotel4341
12-22-09, 09:54 AM
It really depends on how popular an MOS is (i.e. how many corporals and sergeants are LAT moving in or staying in). There are MOS's smaller and larger than mine with cutting scores that vary higher and lower.

I'm not sure if all those numbers are right, though. 0847 LCpl to Cpl is 1400, which all but 4 Marines in my occ field who rate cutting scores qualify for (if that were my MOS). That's ridiculous.

BR34
12-22-09, 10:04 AM

I've never heard of it, I said it's rare. But I do work with a Sgt is was recently selected for SSgt. When he pins on next year he'll be a 6 year SSgt.

Nick31
12-22-09, 04:27 PM
Picking up Sgt with an 1821! Can't wait for the up in BAH haha. :banana:

giveen
12-22-09, 04:33 PM
I was to be promoted Sgt, twice, saw my promotion warrent, but never got it.

Stupid Page 11 for stupid reasons.

sparkie
12-22-09, 07:28 PM
Look,,,,,, For me Promotion came fast, 'cause in that time, there was a lot of open billits, and sealed graves.