PDA

View Full Version : Reserves or AD

Kcperkins
12-19-09, 07:50 AM
Okay I have decided to go 0311 but I cant decide to go AD or reserves. My biggest problem is that my recruiter doesnt take his job serious enough. I would like to know the benefits as for AD vs Reserves for pay, insurance, and most importantly college fund and if reservist get 100 percent paid tuition. I need to know about housing pay to and how much. Please every input is needed to confirm my decision. Is it possible to go into recon reserve prior to ever having any time in the corps, Or even AD recon or do i need to just do infantry. Thankyou

sparkie
12-19-09, 07:57 AM
I would have never thought that to be a hard choice. If you don't know what you want, I'd have to ask,,, Do you know why your joining? I'm not being a smart***, but I am interested in your answer.

Lisa 23
12-19-09, 01:57 PM
No profile, no answers.
If you can take the time to ask questions that you would like the Marines here to answer, then you can take the time to fill out ALL of your profile.
Also, when using the words Marine or Marine Corps, they will be capitalized at all times.
You may also want to check out the rules in the Poolee forum and the Ask A Marine forum.

Kcperkins
12-19-09, 03:20 PM
I'm honestly wanting to join for the title Marine. I have a couple of grunts that are close friends and they keep telling me its not worth it. I do believe it is worth it. My resulting goal is to maybe become an officer. I just don't know which path to take. Im 22 now and if I go AD i wont be able to go to college until im 27. I also have a serious girlfriend whom doesnt want me going active. So i was wondering how much reserves get paid, and most importantly how much college tuition is paid? Thanks Marines your help is appreciated.

Smitty Puffs
12-19-09, 05:39 PM
I'm honestly wanting to join for the title Marine. I have a couple of grunts that are close friends and they keep telling me its not worth it. I do believe it is worth it. My resulting goal is to maybe become an officer. I just don't know which path to take. Im 22 now and if I go AD i wont be able to go to college until im 27. I also have a serious girlfriend whom doesnt want me going active. So i was wondering how much reserves get paid, and most importantly how much college tuition is paid? Thanks Marines your help is appreciated.
Reservists dont get paid ****, you don't get health insurance or any insurance for that matter, and college tuition is a LONGGGGGGGGGGG shot from being 100% paid for.

Kcperkins
12-21-09, 05:36 AM
Reservists dont get paid ****, you don't get health insurance or any insurance for that matter, and college tuition is a LONGGGGGGGGGGG shot from being 100% paid for.

Okay what about Active Reserve, what exactly does that mean?

NoRemorse
12-21-09, 07:38 AM
That means you're on Active Duty at a reserve station filling a billet, which you will not be doing fresh out of Boot.

If you sign a Reserve contract expect to fulfill your Reserve commitment at your duty station one weekend a month and two weeks during the summer.

You'd be better served going on about.com, searching the threads here, and googling up the Reserve stations in your state.

This is all after you speak with yourself in private and hash out why you want in.

Start here for the basics on the Reserves

http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/

Lisa 23
12-21-09, 09:20 AM
Active Reserve - Overview

http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/dirint/mcrip/default.asp?page=140

Kcperkins
12-21-09, 12:49 PM
Thanks MARINES!