PDA

View Full Version : By Permission Jerry Clower

LONEEAGLE
08-23-03, 08:21 AM
:( Jerry was in Clanton Ala doin' one of his shows. He told this story.....(For those who don't know Jerry Clower? He's one of the funniest, cleanist, country Grand Ol' Opry Stars that ever lived)
"I got a call from a friend of mine in Texas." "He's the sheriff outch-air". "Jerry?" "I'd like to come to your farm, and do some quail huntin'." "Well, you'd better hurry, the season is almost over, and I'm a fixin' to go out on a ten day tour." "I'll tell ya what, I'll have Marcel Ledbetter pick ya up at the Baton Rouge Airport." So Marcel picked the Sheriff up. "They were a drivin' along." "Up jumps a cottontailed rabbit." "What was that?" The sheriff asked? "That was a cotton tail rabbit!!" Marcel tolt him. "HAH!!" "A Rabbitt?" "Why in Texas we gots rabbit's as big as that there dog layin' over yonder." Marcel kept on drivin' to Jerry's farm. Bout that time a blue healer hound dog went across the road. "What in the world was that?" Sheriff asked. Marcel said, "A bluetick bluehealer hound dog." "HAH!!" "In Texas, we got hound dogs as big as that yerlin' bull calf, rightch yonder." Marcel was gettin' a bit fed up with my friends braggin' about Texas. The crossed this river. There set the biggest, I mean fo sho nuff wall-eyed, turtle, a logger head turtle. "What in the world is that?" Sheriff asked. "That's a TICK!!!" Have a good 'un.

leroy8541
08-23-03, 08:42 AM
I wish I would have gone to see Jerry Clower before he died. He is my all-time favorite comedian. He was here in town the year he died, but I went to a coon hunt instead of going to see him, I go to the Yazoo Mississippi, Jerry Clower Charity hunt every year now.

LONEEAGLE
08-23-03, 09:46 AM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! Uh-huh. Yes Sir....
Leroy? I'm so proud to have the privilige of you writing to me about my Fav-o-rite, all time, Country to the Bone Comedian...I went thru Yazoo Mississippi, and nairie a Name of him on any highway signs, as this was Jerry Clower's, and Homerlene's Home. Even though he was born in the S.W. part of Lousaner. He talks about where he was born....Do ya have any of his CD"S? He has one, "A LEDBETTER MEETS AN OFFICER" cut live at Camp Lejune N.C. Boy it's a good 'un. I'm tryin' to collect all of 'em, even if they have some repeats. I never get tarred of hearin' this man. He always said, "I NEVER SAY ANYTHIN' IN MY SHOWS THAT CAIN'T BE SAID AT THE EAST FORK BAPTIST CHURCH." It's good to listen to just some good clean comedy...Thank ya, my friend. I was unfortunately unable to go see him anytime. But his memory will live on..Did you recognize the Joke? God Bless you Surh, and yours. THE EAGLE HAS SPOKEN.

DWG
07-10-07, 12:15 PM
Was once in the Atlanta airport when Jerry Clower was passing through. He started on a riff about the ladies having to line up for the bathrooms. You could hear that man the entire length of the concourse. A short free show for those lucky enough to be there at the time! Truly funny man!

Zulu 36
07-10-07, 12:29 PM
Yeah, he was funny. I almost peed myself the first time I heard his stuff.

"Quick, son, what position is it that you play?"
"I am da' man what runs wi' da' football." They made me a lineman.

redneck13
07-10-07, 03:19 PM
:bunny: :banana: :!: Jerry Clower? You got that right, he said....what I say here, or anywhere I perform, I can say it at the South Fork Baptist Church. He's got another one that I'd like to share. He had a neighbor, they lived way back in the woods. The Mother told her Son, go to town, get some sugar, flour, coffee, and the mail. So, he took off on his mule. He got there, and he met up with a Marine Corps (i added that part) recruiter. Well he did his time. He came back, the sheriff still had his mule. He went back home, had the sugar, coffee, flour, told his Mother, "THERE WEREN'T NO MAIL." I am so tickled to see this kind of topic. It's so enjoyable to read good stuff, instead of this "country bashing, the President Bashing, all that gobbelee gook puke crap Politic's." Thank you. Add some more....I got ever CD, except for one, his last one he did at Camp Lejune N.C. Marine Corps base. That were a good'n too. Carry on you blessed Maggot. SF....

crate78
07-11-07, 07:41 AM
One of Jerry's that always cracked me up was the following: <br />
<br />
A farmer fell on hard times. His mule died and he had nothing to farm with. So the man went across to the other side of the county and...

DWG
07-11-07, 08:16 AM
Who was the comedian that used to talk about his buddy "dammit Ray"? His parents called him that for so long, he thought it was his name! I used to think it was Jerry Clower, but now I'm not sure!

crate78
07-11-07, 08:47 AM
It was Clower who included "Dammit Ray" in his stories. I could tell one about him, but I don't have time right now.

I don't think Clower told this, but it's his kind of humor.

A Texas rancher and a Nebraska farmer were comparing notes on their respective operations. The Texas rancher said, "Do you know I can get into my pickup in the morning, drive all day, and by evening I'm still not off my own property?"

The Nebraska farmer nodded and agreed, "I had a pickup truck like that once, too".

When Jerry Clower, Justin Wilson, Red Skelton, et al, passed on, it was definitely the end of an era of good, clean, humor.

crate

DWG
07-11-07, 08:51 AM
Clowers' bit on the 3 hole outhouse was great. If you know it then the phrase "lady, do you mind, we're trying to paint down here" will make you laugh!

Justin Wilson had the greatest fishing stories of anyone alive; just getting to the point where you could understand him was a bit of a chore, though worth it!

Quinbo
07-11-07, 10:36 AM
My favorites were the blind mule with the bell on its neck and just shoot up amongst us and give one of us some relief.

DWG
07-11-07, 10:46 AM
Racoon hunting monkey, with a pistol and flashlight, was a great one too!

bdfairchild
07-11-07, 11:24 AM
D W George,
Charlie Douglas was the comedian/D J that told his stories using the "DAMMIT RAY" character. One of his most re-told stories was the one about the mule with the planting bugle stuck in his butt.

Clowers characters were usually the many members of the Ledbetter family.

DWG
07-11-07, 11:37 AM
D W George,
Charlie Douglas was the comedian/D J that told his stories using the "DAMMIT RAY" character. One of his most re-told stories was the one about the mule with the planting bugle stuck in his butt.

Clowers characters were usually the many members of the Ledbetter family.

Thank you! Wasn't Charlie Douglas from Georgia? I always thought there were two comedians with the same Southern style comedy but Clowers was all I could ever remember.