PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience working with contractors?

yeahyeah33
12-18-09, 12:17 AM
How do you Marines think a job with Blackwater (XE services) or another private contractor would be?

Do they only hire ex-military? Anyone have experience with these guys?

0231Marine
12-18-09, 07:12 AM
I've never been a hired gun or privatized security but I've worked with a lot of them overseas. They're nice enough guys, most of them at least and many of them have special forces backgrounds or come from teams. I'd say a vast majority of them are recruited and did not apply for a job but I'm sure that happens as well.

Following all the trouble that Blackwater got in which prompted the name change and resignation of many of their executives, I don't know what roles they now fill in the changing landscape if Iraq and Afghanistan. It's a pretty good paycheck though and since I was a contractor overseas, I can speak to the fact that it's easy living when you're with a major corporation like they are.

Lisa 23
12-18-09, 08:30 AM
And this has to do with boot camp and wanting to become a Marine how?

Vandrel
12-18-09, 08:48 AM
Blackwater is not the only ones that do private security overseas, there's many companies out there. Nearly all of them are prior service in some fashion. You can always drop a resume to them but if you don't have combat deployment experience or some type of advanced level skills then don't waste your time. Yes there are a lot of prior SOC guys employed in that line of work but they also hire non-SOC guys as well. That doesn't mean they are going to hire on LCpl Admin Clerk that deployed and never fire their weapon.

A buddy of mine has been jumping around since 2004 doing private security for several different companies. The pay is good but everything is short term related stuff, unless you plan to run around and do that stuff until you are 65 years old then you might want to look into something else so you can build your retirement. If you are just looking for some quick cash then that's a good option for you. Again though, you need the skills and experience they are looking for.

yeahyeah33
12-18-09, 04:17 PM
Do any of you Marines think it's as crazy as they make it out to be in the media?

I mean they paint those guys as Muslim hating Christian Crusaders that kill for fun, I wouldn't wanna get myself in with people like that

Any opinions?

Rocky C
12-18-09, 05:15 PM
I smell Fish !!!

Lisa 23
12-18-09, 05:18 PM
Listen up there young man.
First, this thread has nothing to do with wanting to become a Marine and going through boot camp.
Second, this thread is starting to turn political, which isn't allowed. Read the rules in the poolee forum.

Rocky C
12-18-09, 05:23 PM
yeahyeah33 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=69268)
Marine Friend
Free Member (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/payments.php)

Not even a Poolee!!!