View Full Version : Deploying Marines eager to see action

thedrifter
08-23-03, 07:13 AM
Deploying Marines eager to see action

Ship leaves today on a 9-month tour

By Jeanette Steele
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 22, 2003

Standing aboard the ship where he will live through May, Marine Sgt. Samuel Hansen is happy to finally get a crack at the fight – maybe.

"I'm kind of ticked that we're the last people – you know, that we missed all the action" in Iraq, said Hansen, 24, a Marine mechanic helping prepare his unit's CH-53E cargo helicopters for travel aboard the amphibious assault ship Peleliu.

"I just hope we get some kind of action, and not just sit on the boat off the coast," he said.

Hansen is part of the next Marine contingent slated to leave on a regularly scheduled tour to the Persian Gulf. The 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit departs San Diego Bay today with 2,200 Marines and 2,800 sailors.

With some frustration, these Marines sat out the Iraq war, reduced to watching on their television screens as their friends fought.

Now comes their time for sacrifice: They will spend more time away than most Marines who saw combat. Their deployment will be nearly nine months – three months longer than normal – because the war wrought havoc on Corps troop rotations.

"It's our turn," said Col. Michael Regner, expeditionary unit commander, who said his troops trained hard but restlessly at home, knowing they were slated to be the next wave out.

Regner won't say where the unit will go, but a typical Western Pacific deployment includes stops in the Persian Gulf, parts of Africa, Asia and Australia. Iraq is a possibility, he said, if they are needed.

"If that operational commander wants Marines anywhere in the region, especially in Iraq, no one will be more excited than this MEU commander," said Regner, 50, a veteran of the 1991 Gulf War and operations in Somalia and the former Yugoslavia.

"Now the Marines and sailors of the 13th MEU would be able to say to their buddies ... 'We went in. We finished what you started,' " he said.

This unit also will test a new "expeditionary strike group" concept, which increases the number of ships that sail with a Marine expeditionary group.

While the Marines seem itching for action, their families appear less excited about the idea.

Sgt. James Johnston, a 23-year-old helicopter crew chief, said his mother lately started calling him daily. His family already sweated through the Afghanistan war in late 2001, when Johnston fought with the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit.

"They are worried, of course. I mean, they are worried, my mother especially," said the unmarried Marine from Spencer, Mass.

"I just don't tell them the bad stuff, is what I do. I only tell them the good stuff."

No matter where the MEU goes, the Marines will be gone a long time. Still, the expected timeline is shorter than the one-year commitments Army divisions have been handed in Iraq.

The extended tour hits hard at Lance Cpl. Ryan Jones, 21, who got married last month.

"I'm definitely not happy about it," said Jones, a helicopter mechanic from Ashland, Ore. But, he said, "You can't say anything really ... It's all rotation, so you have to do it."

Jones is arming himself with a stack of books to fill the empty time.

"I'm not much of a reader," he said. "But I guess I'll start."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeanette Steele: (760) 476-8244; jen.steele@uniontrib.com

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20030822-9999_1m22deploy.html

Sempersa,

Roger
:marine:

thedrifter
08-23-03, 07:14 AM
August 22, 2003

Military deploying new-look strike force

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO — Seven heavily armed warships departing from here Friday combine troops, ships and weaponry in a new-look Navy and Marine Corps strike force that military officers say will be more powerful and versatile than traditional arrangements.
The Expeditionary Strike Group One is the first of its kind and is being called a part of the military’s larger effort to emphasize flexibility along with intimidating firepower and cooperation between various branches. Similar groups are planned for both Pacific and Atlantic fleets.

About 5,000 sailors and Marines overall will be deployed for eight months on the troop-carrying ships, cruiser, destroyer, frigate and attack submarine. Amphibious assault ship Peleliu will serve as the joint operations center.

Navy Rear Adm. Bob Conway said that by combining more than 100 Tomahawk missiles with aircraft and 2,200 combat Marines, “The spectrum of warfare is open to this group.”

The Navy usually deploys its ships either in larger aircraft carrier groups or three-ship task forces carrying Marines but less firepower.

The new configuration will get significant Marine forces and powerful missiles to emerging combat locations faster than before, said military analyst Patrick Garrett of GlobalSecurity.org, a Virginia-based think tank.

“It’s an enormous step forward,” Garrett said. “It may mean you’d have a [powerful warship] on the scene in hours or days, instead of weeks.”

Strike Group One will be commanded by a Navy admiral, while the next group is expected to be led by a Marine general.

The Marines deploying Friday are from the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit based at Camp Pendleton, with ships from San Diego and Pearl Harbor. Also part of the force are Navy SEALs and Marines from air stations in Miramar and Yuma, Ariz.

The strike force’s destination was not disclosed, but military officials said its “areas of responsibility” include the Arabian Sea, Persian Gulf and Iraq.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

thedrifter
08-23-03, 07:16 AM
Flotilla seen as an evolution in warfare <br />
<br />
Strike group to improve military power, versatility <br />
<br />
By James W. Crawley <br />
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER <br />