PDA

View Full Version : Shipping in 17 days, have a question about it

Endurance89
12-17-09, 10:53 PM
First off, let me start by saying that I have been waiting 10 years to be counting down this close to shipping!

Second, I asked my recruiter this, but he didn't know and hasn't had an opportunity to ask.

My shipdate is January 4th. Does this mean that I will be at the hotel on January 3rd, wake up in the morning of January 4th at 4 am, and go to MEPS (similar to the trip during the physical)?

My recruiter thought that it might be up to the hotel on the actual day, January 4th. I was under the impression that recieving at San Diego (and Parris Island for that matter) was on Monday evening, or early (1 am) Tuesday morning.

Thank you in advance Marines.

firedog974
12-17-09, 10:59 PM
When I shipped, I did not stay at a hotel the night before, but rather showed up at MEPS on my ship date at 4am with a hangover. Things may have changed though....

Lisa 23
12-17-09, 11:02 PM
If your shipdate is January 4th, then you'll be going to MCRD that day. You'll be put up in a hotel the night of the 3rd and up bright and early on the 4th and off to MEPs getting everything squared away. You'll probably leave somewhere around noon time on your way to MCRD.
Enjoy what time you have left with your family and friends before you leave, because before you know it, you'll be on your way and won't see family and friends for another 3 months.
Best of luck to you! :thumbup:

Endurance89
12-18-09, 12:09 AM

Thank you, Ma'am.

I appreciate the answers, Marines.

jinelson
12-18-09, 06:11 AM
Good luck to you John. I appreciate you stepping forward and getting the Poolee Chat up and running again. That showed me leadership and they look for that trait at MCRD. I want you to always remember that you dont have to be an NCO or Officer to lead. Now enjoy what time you have left and prepare yourself for the greatest challenge of your life.

Jim

rg2o3
12-18-09, 07:31 AM
You do not have to stay at the hotel the night before. If you live close to MEPS, you can just show up there at 4 a.m. It is up to you. Good luck, and have fun!

Endurance89
12-30-09, 04:29 PM
Marines, I am resurrecting this thread to give an update and ask another question. I did my 96-hour Pre-ship paperwork and I found out I am indeed going to be at San Diego on Tuesday.

I have been told to be at the RS on Monday, Jan 4th at 3 pm to be taken to the hotel and be processed at MEPS the next day.

I wondered why, and the only explanation offered was that is how it is done at this Station. Can you please tell me what this means for me? I was under the impression that recieving was done every Monday. It seems wierd to have a recieving Platoon a day later than the rest.

Many thanks in advance, Marines.

4 days, 9 hours---Highly Motivated, Truly Dedicated.

Lisa 23
12-30-09, 04:40 PM
That first week is also pick-up week.

Don't know if you've seen the training matrix for MCRDSD....................
http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/RTR/Copy%20of%20RTR_Matrix%201.htm

It happens and it's nothing to get yourself all worked up over, everything will be fine.

jinelson
12-30-09, 05:18 PM
Tick Tick Tick! Man that month went fast John. Like WMarine said receiving week is a pick up week and everyone doesent get there at the same time. I have known Poolees to arrive as late as thursday. When you get off the plane in San Diego and go to the USO for transport you may have some time to call home or use the computers and internet they provide. It will be your last contact with the nasty civilian world enjoy it.

Jim

sparkie
12-30-09, 05:51 PM
"Can you please tell me what this means for me?"

HAHAHAHA,,, Nervous? See ya on the backside, Don't forget to report in.

Endurance89
12-30-09, 06:11 PM
"HAHAHAHA,,, Nervous?

Just a tad. More nervous for the experience than the life choice I have made, though.

See ya on the backside, Don't forget to report in.

Aye aye, Sir!

Thank you Marines, and Staff Sergeant, I couldn't believe how fast it went.

CplGiraffe
12-30-09, 06:50 PM
I left Tuesday and picked up Wednesday... we had a guy come in Thursday night even. Receiving may seem important now, but really it's nothing a week or two down the road. Good luck.