PDA

View Full Version : Looking for AR Build Reccs

12-16-09, 02:06 PM
I am looking to build me a black rifle, and would appreciate some direction from some of you out there with AR experience. My purpose for this rifle are, recreational shooting, home defense (already have pistolas), killing the occasional varmint or deer, and, of course, SHTF. I want a good quality rifle that won't break the bank (and it's already bent). I want iron sights for now, but plan on optics. I'm looking at kits, the array of available stuff is dizzying. Yes, I'm gonna do more research, but advice can't hurt, right? What say ye Black Rifle gurus? TIA.

Supersquishy
12-16-09, 02:15 PM
I have this now, I was going for the Colt 6940, but the buttheads said they wouln't sell to FL residents which is BS, so I went and got me a Bushmaster from somewhere else, and saved a bundle. I have the m4a3 model. has detachable carry handle, so you can put an optic on it.
http://www.bushmaster.com/images/catalog/xm_15_zoom/BCWA3F%2016M4.jpg

USMCM38A1
12-16-09, 03:01 PM
I shoot Marine Corps League competitions and the rifle that I use is a Rock River NMA2 I would have rather had the NMA4 but it didn't come out till after I had had mine for a year.Their accuracy out of the box is hard to beat.I shoot berger and sierra 77gr match bullets and with open sights it is nothing to have 1\2 to 3\4 groups.I went from an average shooter to expert level with this rifle being my only change.The new M4 you can remove the open sights and replace with scope mounts since it has the weaver style rail on top.They have a 1 in 8 twist and love the heavier bullets which stabalize and aren't as affected by wind at longer distances.There are 5 of us in our detatchement that shoot them and have had no complaints.:usmc:

12-28-09, 02:26 PM
Hmmmm, musta forgot I posted this, wonder how that coulda happened? :beer: :) Thanks for the feedback. Anyone build theirs from a kit and stripped lower receiver? I'm looking for the best bang (so to speak) for the buck.

BR34
12-29-09, 06:02 AM
I would advise against using an AR for home defense. You will encounter serious over penetration issues. Every round you fire will have the potential to enter your kid's/wife's/guest's room or someone else's property.

Supersquishy
12-29-09, 06:18 AM
I would advise against using an AR for home defense. You will encounter serious over penetration issues. Every round you fire will have the potential to enter your kid's/wife's/guest's room or someone else's property.

LOL Thats what Shotguns are for:D, He did state SHTF