PDA

View Full Version : Iwo Jima flag

clansman5
12-16-09, 07:27 AM
Does anyone know how I can get a hold of a flag that was flown on Mount Suribachi? I know you can request a flag that was flown on the White House. :iwo:

Hotel4341
12-16-09, 07:44 AM
It's on display at the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico. Not sure how you would go about requesting it, or if they even entertain such requests.

clansman5
12-16-09, 08:05 AM
I don't mean the original. I just want one that is flown there now.

polizei
12-16-09, 04:26 PM
Not sure, but if you find out, please let me know...

I do know they rotate them at the museum because of light (to save it from fading). I doubt the museum will have any "extras" and if they do, I would highly doubt that they would give them away, or even sell them...

Ingle
12-17-09, 04:15 AM
is this a serious post?

03INF
12-17-09, 05:08 AM
I was given the opportunity to go to Iwo Jima in 2000. There is certainly no flag there now, except a Japanese one.

brian0351
12-22-09, 05:09 AM
I'm sure he's making references to the fact that you can have a flag flown in Iraq/Afghanistan or request to have one flown at the White House and Capitol or some US Embassies around the world. You get the flag and a certificate verifying that your flag flew at such time and date.

I've not heard of this being the case for Iwo...after all it is a Japanese territory and I don't think they would be too thrilled to fly a US flag there.

Danman
12-23-09, 09:19 AM
Well the first flag was claimed my secnav James Forestall once he landed on the beach but Col Johnson of 2/28 the unit to raise the flag told him no that it was a battalion flag.. so it may be at Quantico now not sure... the 2nd flag that we all know of was sent up the Mountain by Col Johnson to replace the 1st one.... this flag is at Quantico.

either way good luck..lol

Hotel4341
12-23-09, 09:48 AM
Actually, I was just looking at the Iwo Jima page on Wikipedia, and there's a 6 year-old picture of an American flag on top of Mount Suribachi (part of a memorial). Maybe the OP did know what he was talking about.