PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Buddy Program?

ChaseB2010
12-15-09, 09:02 PM
Me and a friend of mine are signed up to do the buddy program throughout bootcamp. I don't really want to do it. I think it will make me look like a ****** to everyone else. Is this true? What do you think of the buddy program? Is it better to have a friend with you through bootcamp or should I just nut it out and go alone like I wanted to?

thewookie
12-15-09, 09:25 PM
Me and a friend of mine are signed up to do the buddy program throughout bootcamp. I don't really want to do it. I think it will make me look like a b!itch to everyone else. Is this true? What do you think of the buddy program? Is it better to have a friend with you through bootcamp or should I just nut it out and go alone like I wanted to?
I went in on the buddy program and it was a blast. ;) Yeah, they'll single you out, but it'll make you stronger.

animal mother
12-15-09, 09:40 PM
I went on the buddy program too and nobody even knew we were friends until we told them. You'll be fine...

We had 2 kids who were brothers though and they got a ton of **** hahaha

devilbones
12-15-09, 09:58 PM
I went in on the buddy program. I wasnt even in the same PLT and I was never stationed with my buddy.

ChaseB2010
12-15-09, 10:08 PM
I went in on the buddy program. I wasnt even in the same PLT and I was never stationed with my buddy.

That happened to two of my friends and they were too afraid to speak up when the DI asked if there was anybody in the buddy program who got seperated. So I guess you have to make it aware to the DI but then you will get yelled at, IT'd, made fun of and I'm sure tons of other fun stuff.

devilbones
12-15-09, 10:12 PM
They didnt even ask. We were split up as soon as we got off the bus.

ChaseB2010
12-15-09, 10:18 PM

Hmm. I don't really care if we get split up or not. I'm telling my recruiter tomorrow to mess with my date so if someone in front of me in the dep falls out of line I get to ship off early.

SGT7477
12-15-09, 10:27 PM
Worst case they could make you sleep together.

usmcmsf
12-15-09, 10:32 PM
If you get seperated the DI will be your buddy.

And as long as you don't suck, you won't be singled out for being in the buddy program, too many ****birds to worry about.

Phantom Blooper
12-16-09, 07:40 AM
If you two are not biotchs now....just go with the flow.....that's a lame excuse for not wanting to go.:evilgrin:

Vandrel
12-16-09, 10:15 AM
I went on the buddy program too and nobody even knew we were friends until we told them. You'll be fine...

Yup, same thing for me

0331 2 0369
12-16-09, 11:24 AM
I went in on the buddy program. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. Advantage with it is that you have someone you know who you can talk to when time permits in the beginning. Disadvantage... when one screws up you both pay. Overall though, I think it is a good program.

Evidently your friend isn't really a friend and more of just someone you know or you would never second guess this issue. Why not just come out and tell him that you don't want to do the buddy program. If you can't be honest with someone you already know before going to bootcamp then you will probably be two faced throughout the rest of your life. Thats just the way I see it.

thewookie
12-16-09, 03:49 PM

Imagine that. I'd hate to be the kid who complained -- but, where's my buddy....:evilgrin:

Vandrel
12-16-09, 03:56 PM
but, where's my buddy....

I'm not going to the pitt without my buddy!!!

Like everyone else said, buddy program isn't really a big thing. Unless you both signed up for the same MOS then chances are you won't even be in the same place anyways. You may end up in the same boot camp platoon but that'd probably be as far as it goes. After boot camp you become another name on the roster for where ever you are going,

Last name, Initials, Rank, Last 4

There's no buddy program column

DADDYMAC34
12-16-09, 04:24 PM
I agree with you Gunny...... Not fond of people that like to f--- over others....

I went in on the buddy program. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. Advantage with it is that you have someone you know who you can talk to when time permits in the beginning. Disadvantage... when one screws up you both pay. Overall though, I think it is a good program.

Evidently your friend isn't really a friend and more of just someone you know or you would never second guess this issue. Why not just come out and tell him that you don't want to do the buddy program. If you can't be honest with someone you already know before going to bootcamp then you will probably be two faced throughout the rest of your life. Thats just the way I see it.

ChaseB2010
12-16-09, 10:26 PM
Just a question? How would I be two-faced? All I'm saying is, my recruiter signed me up with a kid from my school. We have a different MOS and I know very good and well we will not see eachother through MCT or MOS school, that doesn't bother me one bit. I'm just saying that should I just go through boot-camp by myself with no strings attached to anybody. The person I'm going with is just a kid I go to school with, not any life-long buddy of anything. So I think I wouldn't be two-faced at all because I'm not lieing to the guy at all, I'm just asking a question on this site to maybe get some answers as to what is like going through the buddy-program. If I don't like what people will say I will tell the guy I am going to try and have my date changed because I want to go alone. All and all it will be my Marine Corps career, I don't need anyone to hold my hand through it.

Lisa 23
12-16-09, 11:07 PM
What's the big deal with going to boot camp with someone you go to school with? It's not like you're going to be holding each others hands throughout boot camp. Chances are you could be in different platoons.
If you're worried about getting yelled at, quarterdecked or made fun of, that should be the least of your worries. The Drill Instructors are going to yell at you, quarterdeck you and make fun of you no matter what.
If you're giving up on going to boot camp on the buddy system with a high school friend, you're probably going to give up on the person next to you God forbid you're in the middle of a combat zone.
You're recruiter probably won't be a happy camper if you choose to opt out of the buddy program. Get over it and go to boot camp when you're supposed to. In my opinion, you're making a bid deal out of nothing.

03INF
12-17-09, 05:17 AM
Do you like this guy? You could be with him for more than 3 months...your entire enlistment.

0331 2 0369
12-17-09, 07:04 AM
Just a question? How would I be two-faced? All I'm saying is, my recruiter signed me up with a kid from my school. We have a different MOS and I know very good and well we will not see eachother through MCT or MOS school, that doesn't bother me one bit. I'm just saying that should I just go through boot-camp by myself with no strings attached to anybody. The person I'm going with is just a kid I go to school with, not any life-long buddy of anything. So I think I wouldn't be two-faced at all because I'm not lieing to the guy at all, I'm just asking a question on this site to maybe get some answers as to what is like going through the buddy-program. If I don't like what people will say I will tell the guy I am going to try and have my date changed because I want to go alone. All and all it will be my Marine Corps career, I don't need anyone to hold my hand through it.

The buddy program is designed for bootcamp. Not your carreer. And if you don't have the balls to tell him that you would rather not go through bootcamp on the buddy program, then you are being two faced if you go through your recruiter and get your ship date moved.

animal mother
12-17-09, 07:16 AM
Maybe the other kid wants to go with somebody he knows. I have an idea....stop being a vag. Go to boot camp with him....I guarantee that in 20 years you'll be better friends with this kid than any of your other friends you have now who will probably turn out to be college drop outs/druggies anyway (Trust me it will happen). If you survive recruit training you will know what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with having somebody to "hold your hand your whole career".

I might be wrong but I honestly believe that you don't want to go to Bootcamp with him because your scared the Drill Instructor's are going to make fun of you two......how cute.

NoRemorse
12-17-09, 07:51 AM
Was the OP drunk when he posted this?

All recruits are tools, save your toolery for when you step on the yellow footprints.

You might get lucky and the drill instructors will single you out and make you and your buddy hold hands in formation while sucking your thumbs.

The buddy program will have no bearing on your career; you're most likely going to b1tch/complain/whine about something to your buddy, or the firewatch or your rackmate while you're onboard the Depot. You think the whole platoon isn't going to trust you because you and your buddy have some agenda or are helping each other out?

You'll eventually learn to move, act and think as a cohesive unit. Yeah, that sounds like getting your hand held as you execute your mission successfully as a platoon, right?

echo3oscar1833
12-17-09, 07:58 AM
The buddy program is designed for bootcamp. Not your carreer. And if you don't have the balls to tell him that you would rather not go through bootcamp on the buddy program, then you are being two faced if you go through your recruiter and get your ship date moved.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines- 20.5 Points for years of wisdom, and saltyness, and being one Badass Marine. :D

ChaseB2010- -0.1000 Points, for being a know it all, and questioning the Gunny.:scared:

0331 2 0369
12-17-09, 08:02 AM
You might get lucky and the drill instructors will single you out and make you and your buddy hold hands in formation while sucking your thumbs.

Once they see the hole in his ear from wearing ear rings they will probably make him the platoon biotch anyway.

NoRemorse
12-17-09, 08:24 AM
I have a feeling he'll be in charge of securing the small gear locker... from the inside.

ChaseB2010
12-17-09, 09:08 PM
Actually to be dead honest the reason I want to go alone is because if I become on the open slot shipper than I have a chance at leaving for bootcamp earlier. As of now I have to leave in August. Which means I have to sit around Texas for 3 months waiting for my date to go to bootcamp. If I get out of the buddy program and if somebody in front of me falls out of the DEP then I take their place. If I'm in the buddy program I leave when he leaves. And no disrespect at all but I'm not "giving up" on anything. How is me not wanting to do a buddy program "giving up?" Sorry if I want to leave to bootcamp as early as possible. And IMO I know my ass is going to be yelled at all day long everyday while i'm in boot camp, I would rather not be the guy who had to have his friend come with him and hold his hand. I've heard stories from all of my family and friends who are Marines.

BigPhil
12-17-09, 11:13 PM
Went in on the buddy system at PI they placed us in alphabet order so my name started with a B my buddy was a W so we were at opposite end's of the squade bay, after ITR
we went to Camp Pendletion that was the last we were together he went to one base camp I went to another. He was a truck driver Iwas 0341 and I still had the best duty.

ChaseB2010
12-17-09, 11:28 PM
Went in on the buddy system at PI they placed us in alphabet order so my name started with a B my buddy was a W so we were at opposite end's of the squade bay, after ITR
we went to Camp Pendletion that was the last we were together he went to one base camp I went to another. He was a truck driver Iwas 0341 and I still had the best duty.

Awesome. How was it through the initial recruit training?

BigPhil
12-18-09, 09:57 AM
We had no problems that amounted to anything, You just do what you are told to when you are told.

NoRemorse
12-18-09, 10:58 AM
Actually to be dead honest the reason I want to go alone is because if I become on the open slot shipper than I have a chance at leaving for bootcamp earlier. As of now I have to leave in August. Which means I have to sit around Texas for 3 months waiting for my date to go to bootcamp. If I get out of the buddy program and if somebody in front of me falls out of the DEP then I take their place. If I'm in the buddy program I leave when he leaves. And no disrespect at all but I'm not "giving up" on anything. How is me not wanting to do a buddy program "giving up?" Sorry if I want to leave to bootcamp as early as possible. And IMO I know my ass is going to be yelled at all day long everyday while i'm in boot camp, I would rather not be the guy who had to have his friend come with him and hold his hand. I've heard stories from all of my family and friends who are Marines.

Why didn't you just say that in the first place?

The last two lines of your statement are BS.

BR34
12-18-09, 12:24 PM
Man, this ChaseB2010 kid is pretty popular here.

ChaseB2010
12-18-09, 02:20 PM
Man, this ChaseB2010 kid is pretty popular here.

Popular? No, To viewers of my threads? Infamous maybe.

ChaseB2010
12-18-09, 02:21 PM
Why didn't you just say that in the first place?

The last two lines of your statement are BS.

How are the last two lines of my statement BS?

NoRemorse
12-18-09, 02:48 PM

samthomas
12-18-09, 03:25 PM
:thumbup: <br />
<br />
What is going on with your stupid pictures? First your butterfly earing, and now this.

sparkie
12-18-09, 03:34 PM
Wellll,, I'm impressed.

Quinbo
12-18-09, 04:06 PM
I joined on the buddy program. Linked up with someone I had never met. We PT'd and hit the pool together and became friends. His girlfriend gave him the clap. I shipped as scheduled and he had to wait I think 2 weeks for the pcillian to kick in. Never saw the guy again. There is no benefit or negative to the buddy program. It is a recruiting tool. Being part of the buddy program is not going to prevent you from seizing an oppurtunity to ship earlier sans buddy.

Lisa 23
12-18-09, 04:19 PM
:thumbup:

What is going on with your stupid pictures? First your butterfly earing, and now this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1997624/my_tat_large.jpg

And who is he trying to impress standing there in his skivvies, showing off his tattoos and flexing?

DADDYMAC34
12-18-09, 07:39 PM
Thoughs are Navy tats- bit-ch won't make the first week in the grunts....
legion in his own wet dream of a mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1997624/my_tat_large.jpg

DADDYMAC34
12-19-09, 04:22 PM
Grammar horrible, I should not post after pounding beers at Christmas party? I will be standing tall infront of the man Monday morning!!!!
(Capt Barnes, Sgt Quinn)

Sh*t another page 11 for this Marine.....

The kid is still going to get "boot beaten" in the grunts......

Thoughs are Navy tats- bit-ch won't make the first week in the grunts....
legion in his own wet dream of a mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quinbo
12-19-09, 06:05 PM
You keep me smilin Mac!

ChaseB2010
12-19-09, 07:24 PM
And who is he trying to impress standing there in his skivvies, showing off his tattoos and flexing?

You're the one who's lookin'. Why have tattoos and muscles if you can't show them off?

ameriken
12-19-09, 08:22 PM
When you get to Boot Camp, you'll have 80 guys whom you can show off to. Just remember 'dont ask dont tell'.

Lisa 23
12-19-09, 08:43 PM
You're the one who's lookin'. Why have tattoos and muscles if you can't show them off?
Listen up there young man, you don't impress me at all. To me, you're just another one of those smart a$$es with a cocky attitude and who thinks their sh!t is ice cream and all stuck on themselves.