PDA

View Full Version : Seriously?

Streeter
12-15-09, 05:25 PM
Hello Marines,

I have been hearing this for awhile and I would really like to know if it is true or not. I keep hearing that Drill Instructors can't cuss at recruits, is this true? After seeing "Ears Open, Eyeballs click" and other various documentaries I don't know what to believe. I am guessing it is more of a "Oh ****! the cameras are rolling so watch your language" kind of thing. The one motivating factor for me is the Marine Corps just has that "natural" feeling (some of you will understand). And by that I mean the Combat aspect. I mean come on! If you are going to train people to become blood thirsty war machines then I don't really see an issue with cursing but that's me.

Do correct me If I am misguided or anything of that nature, have a nice day Marines!

commdog7
12-15-09, 06:05 PM
They do curse, but most of them try not too. Some people believe it is politics interferring with military training, but I see from a different perspective. It's about professionalism. Drill Instructors are in a position of authority and they are viewed as positive role models. You don't need to cuss to gain respect. Their job is to teach you how to be a Marine, cursing has nothing to do with it.

I actually believe Drill Instructors are worse when they don't cuss. Cursing releases a certain amount of anger that other words just can't match. The DI's who don't cuss do not vent their anger in words, so their anger actually builds up. This is not a good thing for recruits.

polizei
12-15-09, 06:06 PM
Lol well...there sure was a lot that I heard...but generally DI's aren't "suppose" to curse at recruits, but no one cares, especially the DI's.

Streeter
12-15-09, 06:22 PM
Thank you for the replies!

StoneTheWeak
12-16-09, 12:37 AM
They cuss. Frequently. Don't let the videos fool you. There are all sorts of names for recruits, and all sorts of clever wording the DI's use to try and break you. The Sgt mentioned professionalism, but there is a time and place for that, IE, the public eye. Foul language or not I know that MY drill instructors found ways to get things done. I'm sure everyones has. Those videos are meant to appeal to pen pushing panzees that sit behind a desk in Washington dictating things they know nothing about.

:evilgrin:

jinelson
12-16-09, 02:17 AM
I went through recruit training in the late 1960's and there was a savage war raging in the Republic of South Vietnam. Our Drill Instructors were tasked with not only making Marines but Marines that would not make mistakes that would surely cost lives in the Nam. Our platoon was mostly volunteers but we had some draftees that understandably did not want to be there. Our Drill Instructors had very special talents to insure that mistakes were only made once and everyone in the platoon learned from those mistakes. I never witnessed any mistreatment of anyone in the platoon either physically or verbally. Yes most of us being extremely clumsy did manage to hurt ourselves at some point during our training but that was a part of the learning process. Many recruits were dropped if they repeated a mistake and most of us that graduated were able to survive our tours in the Nam and return home in one chunk. I thank God for the training our Drill Instructors provided us with and have nothing but respect and gratitude for them. What happened in the platoon stayed in the platoon! Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jim

Donut Brigade
12-16-09, 09:14 AM
Just like the new Marine in MCT who "fell on some rounds" after he flagged one of my instructors.

giveen
12-16-09, 09:54 AM
LOL, my DI cussed up a storm. In fact I remember near the end of it it my DI saying exactly this

"As ***** Marines, shouldnt ****** cuss, its not ****** professional, and I ****** apologize that I ***** taught you guys to **** cuss"

Ruby
12-16-09, 10:05 AM
My DI's cussed like it was going out of style. But nobody really cares what choice words they use when they're screaming in your face, lol. But they could get they're point across, cussing or not, believe me.

NoRemorse
12-16-09, 10:09 AM
Recruits dream about a lot of things during Boot...

echo3oscar1833
12-16-09, 04:23 PM
Recruits dream about a lot of things during Boot...

I dreamed about pie!!!!;):D:cool:

sparkie
12-16-09, 08:37 PM
Leave fir pie outta this. I do recall cussin was better than broken ribs. When they went quiet for a few secs,,,,,,, K Y A G.

03INF
12-17-09, 05:39 AM
Your DI's cursing is the last thing that'll be on your mind when you hear that command voice ring. LoL. Beware the greenbelt.

joecoul89
12-18-09, 03:02 PM
I noticed everytime the company commander stepped on deck, the D.I.'s started saying alternatives to cuss words...however, once he left, it was back to cussing...

Apache
12-18-09, 07:09 PM
Well said jimleson !
I came back from the Nam and a lot of Marines under me because of the core values and basic knowledge my DI instilled.
Do I have any concerns or laments ?
Never !
Thanks to all the DIs for taking thier job seriously