PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan Question

Juicemang
12-14-09, 09:43 PM
When we deployed to Iraq, we landed at Kuwait International Airport and waited on a base there in Kuwait before we got a slot on a C-130 to take us into the country.

I was curious, what are the typical travel plans for Afghanistan deployments? For Opsec reasons I don't want to hear anything too specific. But, how does travel into the country usually work?

commdog7
12-14-09, 09:56 PM
Does it matter?

Juicemang
12-14-09, 09:57 PM
Apparently it does to me, since I asked the question. It's just curiosity. Yut?

ecfree
12-14-09, 10:13 PM
I was curious, what are the typical travel plans for Afghanistan deployments?. But, how does travel into the country usually work?
Hey Juice,,,,,,,,,very carefuly.........shhhhhhh.....

Juicemang
12-14-09, 10:16 PM
Like I said, I care about Opsec and didn't want specifics. Just was curious how it worked. No worries, I'll find out when I drill next month.

S/F

hussaf
12-14-09, 10:34 PM
Juice, it all depends with how big of a group you are going. You could go chartered civi plane or rock a C17, or whatever.

When 471 sent a group in 04 they went C17 with about 30 people. There was enough room where dudes just rolled out sleeping bags on and around the floor and passed out for the trip vice sitting in the jump seats. They can also set up passenger seats on those rails as well.

You will leave from a major coastal base, prob midair refuel, and go straight to final destination. Once in country you helo everywhere b/c of the terrain (for the most part).

If you aren't bringing gear, but a lot of people, you could charter, then its up to the chartering agency. So, it all depends on mission specifics. as far as where you land in country...its where you'd think you would land.

Zulu 36
12-14-09, 10:35 PM
Usually, they palletize Marines then roll them out the back end of a C-17 doing a high-speed taxi down the runway at Bagram.

:cool:

Juicemang
12-14-09, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the gauge Huss.