PDA

View Full Version : Education and the infantry

shark6485
08-22-03, 05:19 PM
I was wondering about education and the Marine Corps. In the fall I will be attending Marist College, but my heart is set on serving in the Marine Corps, so I doubt I will be at Marist for more then a year before I enlist in the Corps. If I finish a year of school at Marist and then enlist, would I be able to continue to take college courses on my limited spare time to continue working towards my degree? I am looking to get a degree in either political science or international affairs, so is it possible to continue to work towards obtaining a degree in either of these fields or are you limited to what you can major in while in the Marine Corps due to course availability and such? Thank you very much for your time and help.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-22-03, 06:09 PM
You will be able to take classes while you are in the Marine Corps. I am a political science guy, and I never had a hard time finding classes that I needed. That being said, you aren't going to be taking a full course load while you're in the Marine Corps. You can take classes, but being a Marine is the priority. At times you may find yourself forced to miss class and withdraw. At other times you may find you have all the time in the world to take your classes. It just depends on the situation at any given moment.

marinemom
08-22-03, 07:23 PM
You can do what my son is doing - distance learning. Most bases have computer areas available for use - I know he has it at Pendleton. And there are also some colleges that have classes on various bases - check it out.

Sixguns
08-24-03, 08:22 AM
Have you even talked to a recruiter yet?

These questions are very similar to ones I handled on a daily basis from young men and women considering the Corps as a future. There are several threads here that talk about off duty education and degree programs.

Trust me, it can be done! I hold a BA in Marketing and MBA.

SIXGUNS