PDA

View Full Version : duty station orders

Price1989
12-11-09, 09:38 PM
hey, im still in MOS school and im just wondering if it means somethin that my whole class got theyre orders but me and another guy did not. ive heard that usually people who hvae to wait to get theyre orders get pretty good duty stations, is this true? any thoughts would be appreciated thanks, im just worried about gettin stuck in the stumps haha!

polizei
12-11-09, 10:15 PM
You need to fill out your profile, read the rules Marine...

Vandrel
12-11-09, 10:18 PM
Probably means what it usually does, the S1 is being lazy or the person signing the orders left early for the day and left the orders sitting in a tray on their desk.

That or you didn't pass the school, lol

hussaf
12-11-09, 11:10 PM
Usually that means summary execution. Sorry dog.

Seriously though, I've heard nothing but good things from guys who are actually stationed at 29. It sucks when your there for Mojave Viper, or whatever, but I can see that its attractive in its proximity to LA, San Diego, Palm Springs...plus its kind of away from the flag pole...which is always great.

Price1989
12-11-09, 11:44 PM
ha i hate it here, maybe its because we dont get our cars. as for failing school? no, im halfway through and passing easily. i just dunno why i got skipped and cant seem to figure it out.

Wyoming
12-12-09, 12:09 AM
Generally it signifies a lateral transfer, rank down, to culinary arts.

ZSKI
12-12-09, 07:11 AM
Most likley admin has started a COD League don't expect those untill your about to get on the plane

SGT7477
12-12-09, 07:47 AM
ha i hate it here, maybe its because we dont get our cars. as for failing school? no, im halfway through and passing easily. i just dunno why i got skipped and cant seem to figure it out.
Could it be our beloved Corps needs another cook, just joking Good Luck Marine.:D

Donut Brigade
12-12-09, 10:12 AM
It's always the "worst" duty stations that people have most fun at. The commands there tend to be lax and forgiving, and out of public eye.

polizei
12-12-09, 10:44 AM
You're suppose to get your orders half way through MOS school? We didn't get ours until like 3 days before we LEFT. lol

commdog7
12-12-09, 11:17 AM
Normally you get your orders around graduation, it makes no sense to issue them half way.... It doesn't mean anything that you didn't get orders, they will find you some orders before you leave- it has nothing to do with a good or bad duty station.

Price1989
12-12-09, 11:36 AM
haha idk why we get our orders so early. yeah this place may be beeter if you have a vehicle but still i hate it out here. everything stays the same. weather never changes. but thanks for the input.

hussaf
12-12-09, 12:45 PM
Yeah, they normally issue orders really close to graduation so there aren't slots being filled by people who don't graduate the schoolhouse. We literally got our orders the day of graduation, but we didn't leave until the day after...so it worked out.

Price1989
12-12-09, 01:55 PM
yeah we dont leave till the day after, idk from here on out in my school you have to be damn enar retarded to fail out.

Hologram
12-12-09, 03:27 PM
They may have issued orders for your class early due to the command being gone for the Christmas break, so they tried to get the paperwork started early and all that. For instance, I'm getting my orders this week, already know where I'm going and all, but usually my school waits until the last couple of weeks to let you know (I'm still a good month and a half out).

Anyway, yeah you just got the bad luck of the draw in that you were one of the last to get processed, and it didn't process all the way. Has nothing to do with good or bad station.

Integrity57
12-12-09, 03:50 PM
Do they have a specific order in the way they give out orders? For instance my school house gave the FTS Reservists their orders before the active duty guys. Of course those guys didn't a choice in where they got stationed.

Price1989
12-12-09, 07:33 PM
no just alphabetical. the reservists guys didnt even get orders cuz theres already a set place theyre going

Ingle
12-12-09, 08:29 PM
hey, im still in MOS school and im just wondering if it means somethin that my whole class got theyre orders but me and another guy did not. ive heard that usually people who hvae to wait to get theyre orders get pretty good duty stations, is this true? any thoughts would be appreciated thanks, im just worried about gettin stuck in the stumps haha!

I believe what this means is that the Marine Corps lost you and you can go home and you wont be UA.

Price1989
12-12-09, 10:07 PM
I believe what this means is that the Marine Corps lost you and you can go home and you wont be UA.

haha if only...

Hologram
12-12-09, 10:19 PM
If it includes BAH and BAS, I'd take those orders in a heartbeat.

hussaf
12-12-09, 10:37 PM

Actually that sort of happened to my friend, and me. My buddy got orders to a schoolhouse, DLI I think, but didn't actually get orders upon completion of the school. It took him like three days to get orders cut to go back to work. Last time I was in Iraq, I augmented with a different unit. My unit dropped me from its RUC while I was at GPAC, but I never got picked up by me augmenting unit. I was in country for probably three days, plus maybe two or three day movement, with no RUC. Funny? Not really. I didn't get paid for nearly a month after being in-country.

Price1989
12-14-09, 07:39 PM
haha well all in all i got the orders. I was right. 1/7 1st marine division 29 Palms, CA. On top of that I grad feb 12th and my unit is scheduled to deploy the same month. so I was told im gonna deploy almost immediately following my arrival to the unit

hussaf
12-14-09, 08:49 PM
It's best to deploy pretty soon after school anyway. You get to put your skills to practical use right away (which in all likelihood will be a bit different than doctrine), and you won't have a chance to get used to garrison life....you know buy a bunch of crap you then have to find places to store, etc.

Hologram
12-14-09, 09:35 PM
I'm hoping 3rd Intel (unit I'm going to) will be deploying soon, hopefully soon enough to be back before 2011, but I doubt that'll happen.

I heartell that they just got back from deployment anyway. Ah well...

hussaf
12-14-09, 10:15 PM
Ahhh, those guys. Yeah, I'm not sure what the current rotation is. 1st and 2nd INTEL BN are the most deployed units for the last few years b/c 3rd couldn't stand up their whole BN for an entire 7 months and take up their piece of the rotation. (so it would be 1st then 2nd, then 1st, then 2nd, etc, with no break). 3rd would just send out groups of augments throughout the year to help fill body gaps for 1st and 2nd. That being said, this is changing for AF deployments. Right now they are using all-reservist units to fill in date gaps so 3rd INTL can fully get integrated back into the rotation. So things are kind of in transition right now.

Integrity57
12-14-09, 10:34 PM
no just alphabetical. the reservists guys didnt even get orders cuz theres already a set place theyre going

FTS (Full-time Support) Reservists aren't the same as regular Reservists and don't go back to a unit in their home town. I'm not sure if the Corps has FTS Reservists like the Navy does but their primary mission is to train regular reserve units and they actually don't deploy. I had a friend in A School who was FTS and wasn't aware he wouldn't get to deploy until he got his orders before he graduated, needless to say he was a lil' disappointed when he found out and he had left a $60k a year job to join the Navy.

hussaf
12-14-09, 10:40 PM
Integrity,

Marines have inspector instructors (I&I) that are Active Duty guys. Usually they are experienced and serve as the full time working body at a reserve unit in order to ensure they are doing things the right way. They are non-deployable and are not supposed to take up any school seats, or go anywhere really. Its usually something people do for a career blip, to take a break from the fleet if needed, or to be close to home for a couple of years if they have a terminally sick family member that needs taken care of (or some similar scenario). Then again, it could be an undesirable job and a unit forces a guy to go I&I that no one wants to work with. All depends, but its sounds similar to Navy FTS.

Integrity57
12-14-09, 10:51 PM
Yea, from what I know of FTS it sounds about the same as I&I.

Price1989
12-15-09, 01:30 PM
idk everyone keeps saying i wont deploy right when i get there. so idk what to expect.