PDA

View Full Version : hurt knee with 1 month b4 bootcamp...

Blacklungs
12-11-09, 05:27 PM
I'm supposed to leave for Marine bootcamp January 1st and i'm pretty sure i have a tear in meniscus in my knee. But due to no health insurance getting an MRI is out of the question so me and my doctor are not sure. He's told me not to run on it and to do knee strengthening up until bootcamp. My question is, if i go to bootcamp with my knee like this and I'm unable to keep going on it (I'm planning on roughing it out) will they provide me with surgery if needed or will they just kick me out of the Corps because of it?

Vandrel
12-11-09, 05:34 PM
Nope, if you are broke when you show up and can't pass the IST they will send you home more then likely. If you managed to get into 1st phase and into some training days they will drop you to MRP probably but surgery stuff usually means they send you home unless it's something that happened in boot camp.

Generally rule of thumb, if you got issues before going and show up with issues they will send you home and tell you to fix the issues and come back or they may tell you to never come back. Your best bet is tell your recruiter so he can adjust your dates.

Zulu 36
12-11-09, 07:59 PM
I agree with Sgt Vandrel. With a torn meniscus, you may not even make it through Receiving. Boot Camp is extremely rough on the knees and ankles. You stand, march, and run all of the time, not to mention the wear and tear doing calisthenics and and visiting the pit and the quarterdeck.

Get the knee fixed first.

Hologram
12-11-09, 09:14 PM
Figure out with your doctor what you need to do, worst case scenario. Get with your recruiter and he'll fix your ship dates. Do what your doctor says. When you're good to go then go to boot camp.

It sucks enough on the body when you're healthy, don't try risking anything.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-12-09, 12:04 AM
....AND, if they discharge you because of the knee (and you didn't disclose it at the MEPS prior to leaving) you'll not only be broken and sent home, but broken, sent hom, and get a possible...

SGT7477
12-12-09, 08:09 AM
It's always best to tell the truth and go later when you are good to go.

Phantom Blooper
12-12-09, 10:11 AM
The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.
The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver) are an authenticated history of:
Knee (due to disease (726.6), or injury (905.4)): (a) Full extension to 0 degrees.

(b) Flexion to 110 degrees.

Ankle (due to disease (726.7), or injury (905.4) or congenital defect):

(a) Dorsiflexion to 10 degrees.

(b) Planter flexion to 30 degrees.

Subtalar eversion and inversion totaling 5 degrees (due to disease (726.7) or injury (905.4) or congenital defect).

Leg, knee, thigh, and hip.

Current loose or foreign body within the knee joint (717.6) is disqualifying.

History of uncorrected anterior (717.83) or posterior (717.84) cruciate ligament injury is disqualifying.

History of surgical correction of knee ligaments is disqualifying only if symptomatic or unstable (P81.4). (3) Current symptomatic medial and lateral collateral ligament injury is disqualifying.

Current symptomatic medial and lateral meniscal injury is disqualifying.

Current unspecified internal derangement of the knee (717.9) is disqualifying.

Current or history of congenital dislocation of the hip (754.3), osteochondritis of the hip (Legg-Perthes disease) (732.1), or slipped femoral epiphysis of the hip (732.2) is disqualifying.

Current or history of hip dislocation (835) within 2 years preceding examination is disqualifying.

Current osteochondritis of the tibialtuberosity (Osgood-Schlatter disease) (732.4) , is disqualifying if symptomatic.

>
>
>
A tear in the meniscus of the knee is not a good thing to let go.....I had a tear in the left knee in 2005 and some other injuries to the knee and had laproscopic surgery....don't know of it is an age thing or not....but sometimes I need a walking stick when walking on uneven ground because my knee sometimes gives out....also arthritis has set in.

You will also have to go through physical therapy....for at least a month or so.

I agree with the above statements....boot camp training is rigorous at times and your knee eventually will not stand the pressure.

Toughing it out is stupid.....if your injured in boot camp a good orthopedic doctor can tell whether or not the injury just happened or was sustained recently.

You will definitely get sent home with this injury....the Navy doctors will treat the emergency aspect of the injury...but you may still be on your own for surgery repair.

You don't say in your profile where at....but you are in California somewhere....I am sure that Uncle Arnie has some type of social program that can help the indigent and non insured get help with medical treatment.

Then after you have surgery then apply for a waiver and go from there....you won't get far on a wounded knee in the Marine Corps.

All training and weight bearing of equipment is put on the spine and knees and you would flunk out on your first quarterdeck trip doing mountain climbers.:evilgrin: