PDA

View Full Version : Potential Marine

awoods177
12-11-09, 05:54 AM
Hello everyone,

Im new round these parts, and just had a few questions about Marine reserves, OCS/PLC, etc.

First of all, I've completed 2 years of college, majoring in Physics and was seriously considering doing OCS. I learned a lot about it from a former OSO, but now I have a whole new set of questions.

I've taken a year off of school and lived/worked in Australia, trying to figure out what I really want to do, and the Marines is still a very viable option, but I also know that I DEFINITELY want to finish my degree at some point.

So, first question. I am a Nevada resident, but would like to gain Californian residency for university reasons. This takes a year, and I was wondering, since boot camp is in San Diego, can I start my year of living there when boot camp starts assuming when I finish I am still living in Cali?

Second question. I am considering Combat Engineer as my MOS. What guarantees do the Marines offer as far as MOS's go? Also, how long is the total training for this MOS? Basically, from original ship date till the time I can resume university. Speaking of MOS's....is there an MOS that incorporates scuba diving? I'm a divemaster and would really enjoy a career in which I get to dive often.

Third question. If were to join the reserves, gain caifornia residency and attend (probably a UC) university, can I still do OCS/PLC? Assuming this is possible, I assume once you graduate and accept your commision is it an active duty commision and not for the reserves?

Finally, I'd like some information about deployment of Marine Reserves. First off, I am aware that I should not join any branch of the military if I'm not willing to be deployed. So, that said, I AM willing, but am curious as to how many new reserve recruits are being deployed straight away or shortly after completion of training. Maybe a percentage? I assume your MOS has a major influence on this. If I WERE to do OCS/PLC while attending university, can I still be deployed active?

Ah, ok really the last thing. Both a friend of mine and I are actually considering the same MOS. As far as we've heard the Corp has a "buddy" system for boot camp, and I was wondering if this continues through MOS training as well.

Any info or help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

slimmy07
12-11-09, 10:45 AM
Best advice is go talk to a recruiter. You should probably talk to one in California if you want reserves.

awoods177
12-12-09, 12:07 AM
I appreciate the response, but as I'm in Australia, thats not really an option....and recruiters arent usually too keen to answer questions over the phone. Also, I am looking for some unbiased information as opposed to a recruiter telling me what I want to hear (not that they always do that, but still).

Again, thanks for any info.

slimmy07
12-12-09, 11:09 AM
I appreciate the response, but as I'm in Australia, thats not really an option....and recruiters arent usually too keen to answer questions over the phone. Also, I am looking for some unbiased information as opposed to a recruiter telling me what I want to hear (not that they always do that, but still).

Again, thanks for any info.

I was on recruiting duty for 3 years, 2005-2007. The recruiters I worked with, including myself would tell it like it is. My motto was call a spade a spade. If your not qualified, any recruiter would tell you that. Recruiters usually will answer questions over the phone, but yes they do like to talk face to face. I suggested you talk to a recruiter in California because they would be the ONLY ones to know what specific MOS would be available at the local reserve stations. Yes, you could go online and see what each reserve unit does, but not every MOS would be open. Recruiters are the only ones with access to the lists of MOS' available.